[SOLVED] 3900x with a b450 gaming plus max

Jun 22, 2020
I have a gaming plus max from MSI and I am planing to upgrade my processor Ram and gpu, my current are ryzen 5 2600, 2070 super and 8gb of ram and I’m planning to wait for the 3070 and upgrade to a 3900x with 16gb of ram but I don’t want to upgrade my motherboard which is a b450 gaming plus max, so I was wondering if it would still work and if u recommend a better processor that I can get with ram under 500$ please tell me as long as all the cooler and the motherboard which I will have to buy for intel will be under 500$. And I play Fortnite, valorant , Minecraft and rainbow, but mainly Fortnite, so keep in mind for Fortnite performance.

Solution
Stay AMD imo. 3900X is unnecessary for gaming, if you want to dabble with Adobe After Effects or some other workstation task, go for it, but for gaming, your 2600 should last a little longer. 2070 Super is also excellent, even though the Ampere generation is absolutely insane. Just know that from what I saw on the spec sheet(but the information can be a little elusive at times), the MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max doesn't have PCIe gen 4(as most B450s are), so you won't even get the full benefit from upgrading to an RTX 3070. Keep in mind that maybe waiting for RTX 40 series is a viable option.

If anything, a Ryzen 3 3300X will be a very cost effective upgrade. I heard it's currently out of stock(depending on where you live), but when Ryzen...

dchen2105

Proper
Aug 11, 2020
Stay AMD imo. 3900X is unnecessary for gaming, if you want to dabble with Adobe After Effects or some other workstation task, go for it, but for gaming, your 2600 should last a little longer. 2070 Super is also excellent, even though the Ampere generation is absolutely insane. Just know that from what I saw on the spec sheet(but the information can be a little elusive at times), the MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max doesn't have PCIe gen 4(as most B450s are), so you won't even get the full benefit from upgrading to an RTX 3070. Keep in mind that maybe waiting for RTX 40 series is a viable option.

If anything, a Ryzen 3 3300X will be a very cost effective upgrade. I heard it's currently out of stock(depending on where you live), but when Ryzen 4000 drops, it should become available. Can't really get a Ryzen 4000 on a b450 mobo, but you should know that the 3 3300X was actually released just 3 months ago, so it isn't really a Zen 2 processor, more like a Zen 2.5.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD8Yk7JrBL8

Would recommend waiting for a Ryzen 5000 with RTX 40 series(or whatever AMD has to respond to the 30 series). Ofc who knows who will be the market leaders by then. The games you listed above aren't very intensive, so if your streaming, just get a better CPU(like a Ryzen 7 3700X or even just a Ryzen 5 3600X) to handle the added load brought on by streaming. Maybe your GPU is already good enough to offload the work from your CPU. I run R6 @ 1080p, max settings at around 134fps uncapped on an RX 580 4gb, so a 2070 Super should crush everything you seem to want out of it.

Just FYI, I'm just all about value, that's all I care about, so keep that in mind when you read what I say. I'm just a teenager, so I try to stretch the little money I earn from my part time job as well as I can. Idk, maybe you can find something alluring on the used market. As a bargain hunter, the used market is my best friend. That's where I got my current gaming rig, bought it for half the price it was originally bought for less than a year ago, with a 27" monitor tossed in.

Solution
Jun 22, 2020

If anything, a Ryzen 3 3300X will be a very cost effective upgrade. I heard it's currently out of stock(depending on where you live), but when Ryzen 4000 drops, it should become available. Can't really get a Ryzen 4000 on a b450 mobo, but you should know that the 3 3300X was actually released just 3 months ago, so it isn't really a Zen 2 processor, more like a Zen 2.5.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD8Yk7JrBL8

Would recommend waiting for a Ryzen 5000 with RTX 40 series(or whatever AMD has to respond to the 30 series). Ofc who knows who will be the market leaders by then. The games you listed above aren't very intensive, so if your streaming, just get a better CPU(like a Ryzen 7 3700X or even just a Ryzen 5 3600X) to handle the added load brought on by streaming. Maybe your GPU is already good enough to offload the work from your CPU. I run R6 @ 1080p, max settings at around 134fps uncapped on an RX 580 4gb, so a 2070 Super should crush everything you seem to want out of it.

Just FYI, I'm just all about value, that's all I care about, so keep that in mind when you read what I say. I'm just a teenager, so I try to stretch the little money I earn from my part time job as well as I can. Idk, maybe you can find something alluring on the used market. As a bargain hunter, the used market is my best friend. That's where I got my current gaming rig, bought it for half the price it was originally bought for less than a year ago, with a 27" monitor tossed in.
If I wanted to still upgrade which motherboard would u think Is best for pcie gen 4 and that can handle a 9 3900x and can u elaborate more on the new ryzen cpu and when they’ll release, but for me I think I’m still going to go with 3070.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
B450 doesn't have Pcie4.0 at all. Any of them. The only mobo's that do are the X570 which has fully integrated 4.0 and the B550 which has partially integrated (few cpu lanes) 4.0.

Even a 2080ti has a hard time saturating pcie 3.0 x8, nevermind the full 3.0 x16, so there's very little benefit to the gpu and storage is so fast that the cpu doesn't really benefit for small file transfers (gaming).

Jun 22, 2020
B450 doesn't have Pcie4.0 at all. Any of them. The only mobo's that do are the X570 which has fully integrated 4.0 and the B550 which has partially integrated (few cpu lanes) 4.0.

Even a 2080ti has a hard time saturating pcie 3.0 x8, nevermind the full 3.0 x16, so there's very little benefit to the gpu and storage is so fast that the cpu doesn't really benefit for small file transfers (gaming).
I’m kinda a noob with motherboards so can u help me make a list cause I want either a i9 9900k or ryzen 9 3900x and I want to be able to keep all of it under 500-600 including the ram for now I’ll keep the gpu but I also want to find a motherboard that can work properly with the 3070 and I’m also confused as to why only 3-4 motherboards have pcie 4. Maybe can u help make a part picker list. And I also was wondering if so get all of that, will it work with a 650w gold psu

I’m kinda a noob with motherboards so can u help me make a list cause I want either a i9 9900k or ryzen 9 3900x and I want to be able to keep all of it under 500-600 including the ram for now I’ll keep the gpu but I also want to find a motherboard that can work properly with the 3070 and I’m also confused as to why only 3-4 motherboards have pcie 4. Maybe can u help make a part picker list. And I also was wondering if so get all of that, will it work with a 650w gold psu
That's gonna be tough/impossible considering your CPU choices are 75% of the budget.

Jun 22, 2020
That's gonna be tough/impossible considering your CPU choices are 75% of the budget.
Isn’t the i9 9900k $399 then the aio is $100 the ram is $66( 16 gb ram, I’m not sure if that’s enough) and the motherboard with gen 4 with prolly be $150, I understand but can u try with the best “budget” motherboard, I can increase my budget by selling my old cpu, ram , motherboard and cpu cooler.

dchen2105

Proper
Aug 11, 2020
For a gaming machine I wouldn't go with the 3900x. For straight gaming performance right now you can't beat Intel. Especially if you're going low resolution high framerates.
Intel has been winning marginally over AMD recently. In the past, Intel was surpassing AMD on raw gaming performance, but AMD is now just 5fps behind on select games and a few fps above in others. If you have good RAM, AMD should be able to win.

dchen2105

Proper
Aug 11, 2020
Don’t I still need to change motherboards for pcie 4 and for the 9 3900x
B550 motherboard is your best bet. X570 seems totally unnecessary. If your going for Intel, then Z490 will be your best option. This is because Intel limits the features on their B line of motherboards to artificially raise the price of their Z490s. AMD just gives their B chipset whatever they can(like PCIe Gen 4). And the Ryzen 9 3900X is totally unnecesary for gaming. There will be very little difference between it and a Ryzen 7 3700X or even a Ryzen 3 3300X for gaming. Just pocket the spare change and toss it into a better GPU, which will offer you a much more noticeable boost to FPS. And also wait for the Ryzen 4000s to drop regardless. Even if you buy Intel, or Ryzen 3000, this should cause retailers to lower the price of their other chips.

dchen2105

Proper
Aug 11, 2020
Ok then I’ll go with the 9900k, 16gb of ram, icue h100i aio and msi z390 a pro
Why a 9900K?? If you go Intel, why not just go for a gen 10? Also Z390 does not have PCIe Gen 4. And Intel is not your friend here. AMD will be your best bet here. Intel was winning on raw gaming performance these past couple of years, but with the Ryzen 3000s, AMD is only marginally behind. We're talking about a 3FPS difference here. Did you ignore the graphs shown in the video I listed? A Ryzen 3 3300X will beat an i5-9400F on gaming. This is at 30 dollars less(or 80% the cost). Is this not enough evidence for you? It also wins on every other front too(desktop, workstation).

If you really want to go Intel still, then get a gen 10. Z490s have limited support on PCIe Gen 4, so make sure you buy a (overpriced) motherboard that has PCIe Gen 4.

BTW, part of the reason why the Ampere GPUs are so much faster is that(I think. I read this somewhere) the GPU can read the games cache files directly, instead of having the CPU need to take in the data and send it to the GPU. If game devs use the full potential of this, they can get quite the performance boost out of it. So PCIe Gen4 might be necessary to get the full potential out of an Ampere card. Also, why are you so against the idea of waiting another generation to upgrade your hardware? You already have quite the build.

Reactions: Ducky190
Jun 22, 2020
Why a 9900K?? If you go Intel, why not just go for a gen 10? Also Z390 does not have PCIe Gen 4. And Intel is not your friend here. AMD will be your best bet here. Intel was winning on raw gaming performance these past couple of years, but with the Ryzen 3000s, AMD is only marginally behind. We're talking about a 3FPS difference here. Did you ignore the graphs shown in the video I listed? A Ryzen 3 3300X will beat an i5-9400F on gaming. This is at 30 dollars less(or 80% the cost). Is this not enough evidence for you? It also wins on every other front too(desktop, workstation).

If you really want to go Intel still, then get a gen 10. Z490s have limited support on PCIe Gen 4, so make sure you buy a (overpriced) motherboard that has PCIe Gen 4.
No the only reason I chose i9 9900k is cause it’s cheaper cause it’s 399 and the 3900x is 430 or something and I love ryzen and want to get it but it’s a better deal if I get the 9900k. And I asked other people if 3070 works on gen 3 pcie and they said yes cause I’m kinda confused, I don’t wanna spend more than 130$ on a motherboard so if there is a good motherboard which has gen 4( if it’s needed to run 3070)

dchen2105

Proper
Aug 11, 2020
No the only reason I chose i9 9900k is cause it’s cheaper cause it’s 399 and the 3900x is 430 or something and I love ryzen and want to get it but it’s a better deal if I get the 9900k. And I asked other people if 3070 works on gen 3 pcie and they said yes cause I’m kinda confused, I don’t wanna spend more than 130$ on a motherboard so if there is a good motherboard which has gen 4( if it’s needed to run 3070)
Well the 3070 hasn't been released yet, so there's no way of knowing if it will run to it's full potential on PCIe 3.0. Also, then why get the Ryzen 9 3900X? You don't really need it for gaming. Yes a better CPU will help stability, so it's really just your choice.

Reactions: Ducky190
Jun 22, 2020
Well the 3070 hasn't been released yet, so there's no way of knowing if it will run to it's full potential on PCIe 3.0. Also, then why get the Ryzen 9 3900X? You don't really need it for gaming. Yes a better CPU will help stability, so it's really just your choice.
I want to get the best and latest cpu I can afford so when I go to college or move around if I want to sell it will still retain most of its value cause it’s not like in 3 years the 9900k or even the 3900x will be worth 100-200$ they’ll still be worth a lot.

dchen2105

Proper
Aug 11, 2020
I want to get the best and latest cpu I can afford so when I go to college or move around if I want to sell it will still retain most of its value cause it’s not like in 3 years the 9900k or even the 3900x will be worth 100-200$ they’ll still be worth a lot.
Well wouldn't a 3300X drop in value at the same rate as a 3900X? It should just drop the same rate?