[SOLVED] 3D on any monitor?

Oct 14, 2018
Can't any monitor do passive 3D and cut the refresh rate in half? I have a 165hz monitor so isn't there a way to make it 80hz+ 3D?

Solution
it needs to be coming with the glasses already/or Nv certified (when using refresh rate for displaying 3D active, meaning the shutter of the glasses gets synced with the screen).
this WILL drop your refresh to (fixed) 60Hz, as the 120hz on the screen are used to display left/right in alternating fashion.

outside that, there is no way to make it work, as you cant match each side with the corresponding image coming up on the screen,
even if you would go down to 60Hz each side, and most transmitters are brand specific like on tvs.
(and one reason why even if the same technology is used, samsung glasses wont run on sony tvs and other way around)

a passive screen would work with passive glasses (of any brand), but reduces the resolution...

CodemasterJD

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2008
What software is needed to make this work?

Let's face it, with the death of consumer 3D TV's, there aren't any modern TV's or monitors that support 3D.

I have a need to setup a 3D monitor for a specialized app we're developing ("Window on World" or "Diorama" VR).

So, if I got say a 4K, 120hz+ (Native refresh), could I get a set of NVidea 3D shutter glasses and get that to work?

What has the emitter for the LCD shutter glasses, the monitor or is there a separate dongle?

== John ==

2sidedpolygon

Prominent
Jul 1, 2018

Most games that do support 3D (Which are few and far between. A few notable examples include Minecraft and CS:GO) will have you wearing those old-fashioned red and blue 3D glasses. There's probably also mods for some games that don't support it. As for a single piece of software to make any game support it, that would be near impossible. 3D works by having the game render 2 images from 2 different perspectives, and to make a general-purpose piece of software that does that simply can't be done.

fry178

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
it needs to be coming with the glasses already/or Nv certified (when using refresh rate for displaying 3D active, meaning the shutter of the glasses gets synced with the screen).
this WILL drop your refresh to (fixed) 60Hz, as the 120hz on the screen are used to display left/right in alternating fashion.

outside that, there is no way to make it work, as you cant match each side with the corresponding image coming up on the screen,
even if you would go down to 60Hz each side, and most transmitters are brand specific like on tvs.
(and one reason why even if the same technology is used, samsung glasses wont run on sony tvs and other way around)

a passive screen would work with passive glasses (of any brand), but reduces the resolution in half (as your running 2 images at the same time).
i had one from asus, it had a dedicated button to simulate 3D (with any 2D signal).
was good enough to play around with it, but a true 3D signal from game (crysis 3) or movie looked much better..

Solution

CodemasterJD

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2008
Again, this is a custom app, so it doesn't matter if games support it. Frankly ... nearly any 3D DVD would work too. Content isn't the issue.

A Passive screen would be great, but you can't buy them anymore.

Find one TV that's sold today with glasses. That's not an option anymore.

Our app is really for a 3D TV. For software, the real question was, does the IR emitter for the NVidia glasses a separate little dongle thing, or is it built into the NVidia certified monitor like 3D TV's are, and what driver software is there?

As far as game software goes, check out Vorpx

== John ==.