Question 3D rendering PC Build £5000 budget. High Spec

FlewDesigns

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2013
Hey. I'm looking to buy a new 3d pc. Specs I require are excellent graphics card with a great cpu
And high ram but unsure on the best combination with new tech.

I do high end 3d work so simulations so CPU core speed might be required
But with a great GPU for rtx use.

Also with a cool case... Why not.

Apps used
Maya
Houdini
Unreal engine
Vray
World creator

Thanks in advance!

Lewis

Lutfij

Titan
This PC you built for your friend is a good platform to start with;

Reactions: FlewDesigns
Hey. I'm looking to buy a new 3d pc. Specs I require are excellent graphics card with a great cpu
And high ram but unsure on the best combination with new tech.

I do high end 3d work so simulations so CPU core speed might be required
But with a great GPU for rtx use.

Apps used
Maya
Houdini
Unreal engine
Vray
World creator

Thanks in advance!

Lewis
Wait a bit longer. Next Gen GPUs releasing soon. RTX5090 gonna be a huge improvement. Big jump in performance.

FlewDesigns

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2013
This PC you built for your friend is a good platform to start with;
Yeah but that's heavy for gaming not intense rendering although I know it would run it well. I'm thinking a threadripper or i9 for my purposes.

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
Check out the computer hardware at Puget Systems:
https://www.pugetsystems.com/solutions/3d-design-workstations/

Puget have systems for Maya and Houdini in your price range:
https://www.pugetsystems.com/solutions/3d-design-workstations/autodesk-maya/
https://www.pugetsystems.com/solutions/3d-design-workstations/houdini/

Depending on apps, Puget sometimes recommend AMD CPUs, at other times Intel. GPUs tend to be NVidia, with better driver support for professional software.

Concentrate on your most important app when choosing hardware. It might dictate whether to go Intel or AMD.

More expensive workstations use ThreadRipper, EPYC or Xeon processors and ECC RAM, but can be very expensive ($10,000+).

If you build your own system, you can spend $500 on a case with pretty lights, or fit 13 illuminated fans and a custom loop with coolant that glows under UV light. It's up to you. Puget don't sell bling, but you will get a system that works plus a guarantee.

If you build your own system, you can spend $500 on a case with pretty lights, or fit 13 illuminated fans and a custom loop with coolant that glows under UV light. It's up to you. Puget don't sell bling, but you will get a system that works plus a guarantee.
You also do not get to completely decide what you get and spend hundreds to thousands for puget to build and warranty it as a service fee.

As for the build here is a good place to start. PCPPicker does not have many EPYC or Threadripper CPUs to choose from so I put in the 9950x which is no slouch. I added a fast boot drive, scratch drive, and storage drive. All top tier parts, but as others have said, Nvidia is going to be releasing their 5000 series soonish which may beget significantly more performance for the money.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 9950X 4.3 GHz 16-Core Processor (£589.98 @ Ebuyer)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Elite CPU Cooler (£99.99 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: ASRock Phantom Gaming X870E Nova WiFi ATX AM5 Motherboard (£386.46 @ Newegg UK)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 96 GB (2 x 48 GB) DDR5-6400 CL32 Memory (£331.88 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Crucial T705 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 5.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (£179.98 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Crucial T500 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (£134.97 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Crucial P3 Plus 4 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (£219.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
Video Card: Gigabyte WINDFORCE V2 GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card (£1565.82 @ Amazon UK)
Case: be quiet! Silent Base 802 ATX Mid Tower Case (£159.20 @ AWD-IT)
Power Supply: be quiet! Dark Power 13 1000 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£219.99 @ CCL Computers)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro Retail - Download 64-bit (£168.22 @ Senetic)
Total: £4056.47
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-10-02 17:07 BST+0100

Last edited: