[SOLVED] 3DMark Time Spy vs Unigine Valley

q8mans

Prominent
Apr 1, 2020
First of all, I ain't a tech person who is trying to OC his GPU & CPU before upgrading them.

CPU: my 6700k is stable @ 4.5 after stress testing with AIDA64 for a long time.

GPU: My 980ti GPU OC has passed 3DMark Time Spy with a 98.8% score (which means it's stable based on 3DMark's terms), but I'm not able to reach ANY successful OC attempts with Unigine Valley or Heaven.

is my OC stable if it's passing 3DMark stress test without passing Unigine tests?

Solution
How about if my OC works smoothly on all of my games but crashes on Unigine benchmarks?
The games you play, by coincidence, aren't as hard on the system as the Unigine benchmarks? Bad drivers? Another source of instability besides the gpu? 🤷‍♂️

Using Asus Realbench, Heaven, and Superposition, I was able to find a pretty high gpu OC of +135 core, +650 memory.
Ran those settings in game - Tales of Zestiria and Dragon Star Varnir artifacted, Unreal Engine titles, like Redout: Enhanced, flat out crashed or froze. I don't have any AAA titles at the moment - doubt it would've been any better.
When I did it the other way around, things went much smoother... +95 core, +550 memory - passed Realbench 8hr stress test, no issues with...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
No.
I would suggest you try your gpu overclock in a few different games first - at least different graphics engines, and see how they react, THEN go to the benchmarks.

I've found that if you find a 'stable' gpu OC through the stress tests and benchmarks first, and then take it to the games, at least one of them will give it the boot; then it's not actually stable.
Start with core clock OC first. They are easy to filter out, usually crashing a game within the 1st 30 minutes.
Memory clock OC isn't quite as obvious. This one requires you to keep an eye out for visual irregularities; it doesn't usually cause crashing unless you entered a stupidly high number.

q8mans

Prominent
Apr 1, 2020
No.
I would suggest you try your gpu overclock in a few different games first - at least different graphics engines, and see how they react, THEN go to the benchmarks.

I've found that if you find a 'stable' gpu OC through the stress tests and benchmarks first, and then take it to the games, at least one of them will give it the boot; then it's not actually stable.
Start with core clock OC first. They are easy to filter out, usually crashing a game within the 1st 30 minutes.
Memory clock OC isn't quite as obvious. This one requires you to keep an eye out for visual irregularities; it doesn't usually cause crashing unless you entered a stupidly high number.
How about if my OC works smoothly on all of my games but crashes on Unigine benchmarks?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The games you play, by coincidence, aren't as hard on the system as the Unigine benchmarks? Bad drivers? Another source of instability besides the gpu? 🤷‍♂️

Using Asus Realbench, Heaven, and Superposition, I was able to find a pretty high gpu OC of +135 core, +650 memory.
Ran those settings in game - Tales of Zestiria and Dragon Star Varnir artifacted, Unreal Engine titles, like Redout: Enhanced, flat out crashed or froze. I don't have any AAA titles at the moment - doubt it would've been any better.
When I did it the other way around, things went much smoother... +95 core, +550 memory - passed Realbench 8hr stress test, no issues with either Unigine benchmarks.
Well, that's my experience with it, and due to that, I have a hard time imagining the scenario in your question.

I've heard the game Control is pretty rough and a good means of finding a stable gpu overclock, ~but, I don't own the game, so I'm not concerned with it.

Solution