a65bugman

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2005
Yet again I couldn't find a suitable forum for this question so I'll put it here and see what comes of it.

I just built a new machine with a ASUS P5ND2-SLI Deluxe, a 2.8 Ghz Intel 820 D, and 1 gig of Corsair DDR2, (2) ASUS 6600GT video cards, and a 74 gig Raptor drive. I just ran the free version of 3DMark and it says my FSB is set to 200Mhz. The machine has been running slow in spots and hangs every once in a while but while running the 3DMark it does fine until it gets to the CPU test and then runs at 1 FPS. I know the FSB is supposed to be atleast 800Mhz and I have check every setting possible in the BIOS. The BIOS sees everything fine but I have had no luck in boosting what the 3Dmark says for the FSB.

Is this free version not registering everything correctly or is there something I'm missing. Any help would be very helpfull as I want to get as much out of this machine as possible just like everyone else!

HansGruber

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2005
What is your 3Dmark score for complete test and score for CPU ?
And what 3dmark you are using, 01,03 or 05 ?

<A HREF="http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en" target="_new">Try Everest to check system information.</A> (3dmark sucks at it)

<font color=red>"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
- Albert Einstein</font color=red>

I bet your using 3D05 - EVERY processor gets slammed in the CPU tests.

Your FSB is 200*4 (Quad 'pumped') thus equalling the 800Mhz you have heard.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
The FSB is 200mhz, QDR (quadruple data rate - aka 'quad pumped'). The marketing wizards thought 800mhz sounds better than 200mhz QDR, so its called 800mhz. But the true clock rate is 200mhz and it transfers data 4 times per clock tick (hence the 800)\

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Doh! Beat by a minute. :frown:

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.

a65bugman

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2005
When I run 3DMARK and it finally finishes it gives me a rating of 6062. I was under the impression that that was a fairly good score. I was hoping that my mistake (200Mhz) would explain why I'm still getting hang up and having to frequently reboot the machine. Another thing is that when I play wolfenstien: Enemy teritory and I bring up the Frame counter I can only get 90FPS and that is on the fastest setting for the game. I have updated every piece of hardware and flashed the bios but still seem to be getting hung up some where. Any ideas?

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Could be your anti-virus/anti-spyware program, or adware/spyware/virii or other processes that are running. What's your CPU usage at idle from task manager? (you did say it was WinXP, didnt' you?)

Could also be swapping to your pagefile. Make your windows swapfile a fixed size - anywhere from 300mb (suggested by a regular here) to 1.5x RAM size - the actual size isn't as important as the fact that it is fixed. (there's lots of debate about that - but fixed is the first thing - worry about it being the right size later)

Do you have the mobo's chipset drivers installed from the CD (or newer versions downloaded)? Are you fully updated with Windows?

Mike.

HansGruber

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2005
Perhaps your system hangs because of too high temperatures ?

<font color=red>"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
- Albert Einstein</font color=red>

a65bugman

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2005
Well see that is another issue I have. The virus scan software will not enable all the way on boot up and when I check the task manager for system usage I find that only 1 CPU is listed. Isn't it supposed to come up with 2 since it is a dual core CPU? This is on a Win XP machine and I have downloaded all the windows patches as well as all of the manufacturers patches for the given hardware. I think the machine just needs a full rebuild and maybe put the minimum in and see if it works correctly. could there be an issue with my CPU and the Motherboard? The Ram is the kind with LEDs on it and at any given time 1 whole bank is completly maxed out according to the LEDs.

apesoccer

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
bios update your mobo if your cpu isn't showing up correctly...

F@H:
AMD: [64 3000+][2500+][2400+][2000+][1.3][366]
Intel: [X 3.0x3][P4 3.0x2][P4-M 2.4][P4 1.4]

"...and i'm not gay" RX8 -Greatest Quote of ALL Time

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
I would think it should show 2 processors... Is this XP Home or Pro?

What does the task manager say about memory usage? Those LEDs on the DIMM are neat, but they don't tell you much - I consider it a light show, not a diagnostic tool.

A full rebuild may not be a bad idea - sounds like there's some software issues to go along with the hardware issues.

Mike.