3DR: Duke Nukem to Have 'Strong Resurgence'

Status
Not open for further replies.

El_Capitan

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Lol, Marcus, you should start reading Wired magazine. http://www.wired.com/magazine/2009/12/fail_duke_nukem/

George Broussard called it quits. It's game over, man. Game over.

trinix

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007
so it's that time again that someone tries to sell us that DNF isn't dead. DNF is dead.

Ask a random kid on the streets, who is Duke Nukem. They've never heard of the character (unless they are really really big gamefreaks with brothers who beat their little kid brother every day for fun).

Duke can make a return, but if it is still going to have to be the most epic game out there, well it's never going to be finished. Sure forced exit of most games to the market isn't good, but after 12 years still nothing. Lol, what have they been doing for the last 12 years and who is stupid enough to pay for that?

I hope they finally just stop this show, so we don't have to read about this garbage every few months with no game showing.

G

I loved playing Duke Nukem years ago and I'd love to get my hands on the finished product of DNF.

The only problem I can foresee is either I'll get real sick playing for the first day or two, then I'll give it away to someone else or I'll have to get a prescription from my doctor for motion sickness so I can keep playing. :D

lowguppy

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
This article isn't about DNF, its about the franchise. Forever IS dead yes, but what they're saying is that other Duke Nukem titles are coming out, so the franchise itself is not dead.

Many years ago I thought the new Duke Nukem came out and I just missed it like no one was playing it. It was only this year that I found out it was never released. LOL Sad though... I did like the old Duke Nukem. I used to host a website and provide a custom level called "Duke Nukems Penthouse Paradise". It was created by Penthouse and hosted on thier site for a very limited time.

Marcus Yam

Splendid
Jul 1, 2008
[citation][nom]El_Capitan[/nom]Lol, Marcus, you should start reading Wired magazine. http://www.wired.com/magazine/2009/12/fail_duke_nukem/George Broussard called it quits. It's game over, man. Game over.[/citation]
[citation][nom]lowguppy[/nom]This article isn't about DNF, its about the franchise. Forever IS dead yes, but what they're saying is that other Duke Nukem titles are coming out, so the franchise itself is not dead.[/citation]

Yep, DNF is definitely a DNF, but you're be crazy if you don't think that there isn't any interest in milking more out of the Duke Nukem IP. There's still value in the Duke brand, and that's where the money will be until the well is dry.

G

Even if they never release Duke Nukem Forever, Hopefully they'll develop and release some form of Duke Nukem game.

With today's gaming technology, it'd be one hell of a game if they ever pull it off! :)

theubersmurf

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
[citation][nom]El_Capitan[/nom]Lol, Marcus, you should start reading Wired magazine. http://www.wired.com/magazine/2009/12/fail_duke_nukem/George Broussard called it quits. It's game over, man. Game over.[/citation]You know, I read that article, and when I saw the headline, I thought the same thing you did...But then I realized, DNF has been in development since the late nineties. If they kept all the old code they had, much of it could be ported over to the PSP/iphone/ipod touch etc. As well, 3DR is being sued by take-two...If there's the opportunity to recoup the losses of 3DR, 3DR make take an offer to release a whole bunch of older stuff onto other platforms. As well, when you read that article, you will see them reference a bunch of nearly complete versions of DNF. If they could get a real release out for PS3/XBOX360/PC, they may be able to buy their way out of the lawsuit. Maybe even keep their company intact. In my mind this reads sort of like that, as if they had to cut a deal in order not to have the pants sued off them...something like "We'll send in some people who know how to get a game out the door, and release a bunch of this stuff, in exchange for which, we won't hold you accountable for the 2million(?, can't remember how much they were advanced) we gave you."

mcshasta

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
I hope something Duke Nukem related comes out. I actually install Duke Nukem 3D on my dads computer so I had something to play during the holidays. Definetly took me back to when I was 8 paying strippers to show pixelated tits.

ryanjm

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2007
I wish I could have worked there and been George's boss. All I would have to do is tell him to stop tweaking it and finish the game. Problem solved.

sceen311

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
call me when there's an actual game available to play... I don't want to here about demo's, beta's or release dates... just when there is a full game being released.

beergoggles

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
These news stories ... "Duke is Coming Back", "NYC note ready for the iPhone" Is it 2007 all over again? What wierd topics.

Oh, and DNF, *yawn*. I played through the PC again game recently, a big meh. In the day it was OK, but things have moved on and left it behind, IMO.

liquidblue

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
Their team philosophy should be "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and I'm all outta gum".

Get this game going, we've been waiting 'forever'!

dogofwars

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
DNF was not just an excuse to put money in an 3D engine to benefit other games given a strong IP but a dead title??? It did profit for other games right??? When they launched the project as far as I know the developers were told to keep the project alive as much as possible for research in the engine and basically the game itself was just an excuse to get money put in an engine and into people's pockets!?

gnice3d

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
Does this guy think he's doing them a favor by revealing just HOW much money the squandered... lol.

They should just license the franchise out to other developers and restrutcure 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.