3DRudder VR Foot Controller Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope this is the start of a wave of peripherals, and a war of functionality. If enough companies try their innovations, we will probably have a few that end up being quite good, and a staple on most VR game systems.

Xenophage2112

Reputable
Sep 30, 2015
I don't understand the purpose of this or why it is considered a "VR" peripheral as opposed to being useful in other applications.

I'll just leave this here...

Angry-Video-Game-Nerd-Desert-Bus-Screenshot.jpg

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
interesting looking device. I was under the impression it was to be used while standing up. but thats not the case (even though the reviewer said its possible).

Call back when there is one intended for standing

stairmand

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
I only have 1 arm so use foot pedals mapped as keystrokes for various games. Even after a couple of years it's still surprisingly tricky to coordinate your feet. I tend to map keys that don't need to be used in a quick moment otherwise you just stamp everywhere. Use, menu's, grenades etc are OK but takes a lot of practice.

Thierry_NYC

Commendable
Jul 22, 2016
I've tried the 3DRudder recently at E3. it is surprisingly intuitive (20 secs learning curve) and gave me a sense of freedom of movement in VR (if there is such a thing). also played with it on a classic flight simulator and after a minute I was able to start pulling tricks in a rather natural way. I guess using my feet to "move" in VR (vs my thumbs/hands) made sense to my body...(?) I'd love to try it with other games and see if it gives me an edge vs. just using hands. next step (no pun...)

The biggest problem I have with this is the price. Including shipping, it works out to $204 in the US. That's way too much for an experimental input device that potentially won't see much native developer support. And considering the relatively simple design, there's no reason it should have to cost that much. When you get down to it, it's more or less a Wii remote in a wobbly plastic shell. If it were priced comparably to most other game controllers, somewhere around $50 or less, something like this might take off, but I can't see it going anywhere past being a niche device at $200. And being a niche device, it probably won't see much support from developers. I can understand that the VR market isn't yet large enough for them to really benefit from economies of scale, but I still can't help feeling that the price is much higher than it needs to be.

That was tried already... >_>
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/tony-hawk-ride

And if we're talking about standing VR, chances seem extremely high that it would be next to impossible to balance on such a device while careening through the air in a virtual world. You would need a support system like a Virtuix Omni just to keep from falling over and injuring yourself, and it would almost certainly make you feel sick. You wouldn't be able to do any tricks or flips without your movements being entirely disconnected from your motions either, meaning it would probably not be a very satisfying experience.

Thierry_NYC

Commendable
Jul 22, 2016
sorry to disagree, but comparing this device to a glorified Wii remote is missing the point - by a lot. If you have ever tried 3DRudder, you know that it does much more than a simple controller and notably allows achieving complex trajectories in less than 1 minute of trying it. This would be almost impossible with traditional gamepads and would requires training to achieve with very sophisticated joysticks.

Now, given it is not designed for standing VR (it is designed for playing while seating). My personal belief is that 3DRudder is poised for mass adoption, once properly tested with major games. Pricewise, it should be compared to a cyberith virtualizer ($599) or to a virtuix omni ($699) although both these products are made for playing standing up and require quite a bit of space vs. 3DRudder wich is more your (under the) desktop device.

The Cyberith Virtualizer and Virtuix Omni are both large machines though, with a significant materials cost. The Omni's shipping weight is 227 pounds (103 kg), and comes with a pair of special shoes with tracking pods, in addition to the platform, frame and harness. The Virtualizer is also set to be a rather large device at around 110 pounds (50 kg). They need to be sturdy and well built to keep users safe, and that adds to their cost. The price is about what you might expect for a piece of mid-range exercise equipment.

The 3DRudder, on the other hand, is a fairly small device that weighs maybe a few pounds and is constructed almost entirely out of plastic. As such, the cost of its materials and manufacture should be relatively low. And really, the tech inside doesn't sound much different from what can be found in a Wii Remote Plus, something sold on Amazon for a little over $30.

I think the device looks cool for what it is, but I also think it could be a hard sell for anything over maybe a hundred dollars or so. Unlike the Virtualizer and Omni, which allow for intuitive motions for navigating an environment, like walking, running, jumping and so on, the controls of the 3DRudder are much more abstract. Tilting and rotating a disk with your feet from a seated position doesn't provide the same level of immersion as natural motions. And you mentioned trying a flight simulator, but a HOTAS-style flight stick, which start around $50, would probably be a better fit for such a game. I suppose it could be a decent enough device for seated VR setups where your hands might be occupied by motion controllers, but again, I question how many people are going to be willing to spend a couple hundred dollars for that. The price will probably come down in time though, as there seems to be an "early adopter tax" covering everything VR-related for now.

surphninja

Honorable
May 14, 2013

New account. Only commented here. Using very precise wording that seems like it's straight out of promotional material.

What are the odds this is a paid representative for the company?

Status
Not open for further replies.