[SOLVED] 3x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM to 1) 3-way splitter or 2) PSU powered fan hub

riddick51pb

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It will become apparent I don't know what I'm doing. So before I damage something, my mobo, or whatever, here's the question. Remember, safe operation is of the utmost importance.

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero

Q: Can I run 3x Noctua NF-A14 off of one 3-way splitter to one Mobo Chassis 4-pin connector?

The fans, all 3 the same:
3x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM
-Max. input power: 6,6 W
-Max. input current: 0,55 A
-Operating voltage: 12 V

-OR-

Alternatively:
Can I run the above 3x fans using: SilverStone PWM Fan Hub System Cables, Black (CPF04)
Note: Powered directly by SATA cable from the computer power supply and filtered through a built-in 2200μF capacitor, the CPF04 system cable can provide clean, stable voltage to any fan for optimal performance. Scroll down on that link to SilverStone page for more info. Connects to one Chassis 4-pin as well as PSU SATA cable.

SilverStone PWM Fan Hub System Cables, Black (CPF04) Data:
-1-to-8 PWM connectors
-2200uF capacitor provides stable voltage
-Support speed detection for accurately controlling fans
-Connection to SATA power cable from PSU required

Solution
Q: Can I run 3x Noctua NF-A14 off of one 3-way splitter to one Mobo Chassis 4-pin connector?

You need to know the ratings of the motherboard headers to answer this.
Fortunately, Asus included this information in the manual - it's absent for many boards - on page 1-10: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...53_ROG_CROSSHAIR_VIII_DARK_HERO_UM_V2_WEB.pdf
2x NF-A14 IPPC 3000: 1.1A
3x: 1.65A
Only possible with 2 headers.

Alternatively:
Can I run the above 3x fans using: SilverStone PWM Fan Hub System Cables, Black (CPF04)...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

You need to know the ratings of the motherboard headers to answer this.
Fortunately, Asus included this information in the manual - it's absent for many boards - on page 1-10: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...53_ROG_CROSSHAIR_VIII_DARK_HERO_UM_V2_WEB.pdf
2x NF-A14 IPPC 3000: 1.1A
3x: 1.65A
Only possible with 2 headers.

Alternatively:
Can I run the above 3x fans using: SilverStone PWM Fan Hub System Cables, Black (CPF04)
Right there in the specifications it says 4.5A max on a single header, as well as the entire unit.

Reactions: riddick51pb
Solution

riddick51pb

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
According to the ASUS Mobo manual:
CHA_FAN1 Header: Max Current=1A | Max Power=12W
CHA_FAN2 Header: Max Current=1A | Max Power=12W
CHA_FAN3 Header: Max Current=1A | Max Power=12W

One Noctua NF-A14:
--Max input current=0.55 A
--Max input power=6.6 W
--Operating voltage=12 V
================================================
Two NF-A14's on one Mobo CHA_FAN header result in a sum of:
--1.1A

Which exceeds the rating for each CHA_FAN1, CHA_FAN2, or CHA_FAN3.

In summary: I can connect one NF-A14 to CHA_FAN1 Mobo Header.

Am I correct?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
According to the ASUS Mobo manual:
CHA_FAN1 Header: Max Current=1A | Max Power=12W
CHA_FAN2 Header: Max Current=1A | Max Power=12W
CHA_FAN3 Header: Max Current=1A | Max Power=12W

One Noctua NF-A14:
--Max input current=0.55 A
--Max input power=6.6 W
--Operating voltage=12 V
================================================
Two NF-A14's on one Mobo CHA_FAN header result in a sum of:
--1.1A

Which exceeds the rating for each CHA_FAN1, CHA_FAN2, or CHA_FAN3.

In summary: I can connect one NF-A14 to CHA_FAN1 Mobo Header.

Am I correct?
Yes. Only W_PUMP+ and H_AMP will allow you to chain 3 of them together.

Reactions: riddick51pb

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
OP, you are correct. Phaaze88 has pointed to one alternative. Most of the fan headers are limited to 1.0 A max current, but two have max's of 3.0 A. The W_PUMP one is NOT suited to your needs - it always supplies full-speed power to its connected device, intended to be a water pump. But the H_AMP header at bottom front of your board (see manual p. 1-10, item G) IS designed to control fan speeds, and can supply up to 3.0 A max load. So you should be able to connect three of your high-power Noctua iPPC fans to that one header using a Splitter. Just check one detail for that header in BIOS Setup - the manual does not show us details of its options. I expect that it is designed to control CASE ventilation fans, and not CPU cooler devices. So it SHOULD be using the temperature sensor on the motherboard, and not the one inside the CPU chip. IF you have a choice on this, ensure it is set correctly.

If that does not appear feasible for any reason, there are two other options. Since you have three CHA_FANn headers, you can connect one Noctua to each of those and simply configure all three headers to do exactly the same thing. OR, if you want or need to control all from a single header and cannot use H_AMP, then a different device called a fan HUB can be used instead of a Splitter. If you need details there, post back here.