[SOLVED] 4.1 GB of hardware reserved memory

Jul 27, 2020
these are the following specs (dont roast me)

Motherboard : MSI 970A G43
CPU : AMD FX 6300
GPU : AMD R9 290
RAM : 8GB DDR3

My old gpu (r9 280x) had recently died on me and I decided to buy an r9 290. After turning my pc on in the first time of a while it started lagging and I figured it was because of the old drivers from my other gpu. After downloading those it kept occuring and I went into my task manager to find out that 4.1gb of my ram was hardware reserved. After looking through multiple threads I couldnt find a working solution so I decided to make my own thread. 1 of my ram sticks doesnt work in both of my dual channel ram slots, BUT both of my ram sticks work on my brother's pc without this hardware reserved problem. (same specs besides the gpu which is the r9 280x) If anyone could help would be nice.

-Chrono

Blakenstein

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
there may be a conflict between your card and onboard graphics . Does your brother have the same set up , system and card ? and then there is the gpu boost . If you ae using it , try turnning it off ?? Your gpu comes with its own ram , that is 4 gb ddr5 , and your board is running 8 ddr3 will that ram stick not work in alll of yur slots . ?? in you bios ,, try making sure that your board is running the card , pcie , and not trying to run both , on board chip set and discrete card at the same time . try turrning the intergrated graphics off . analize the difference s in the type , and set up between your brothers system and yours .
One of your ram sticks ...how many do you have ?? is it 2x 4 ?? 4 x2 ? 1 x8 ?? etc. Also ,, it is easy to overlook the temperature that your cpu is opertating at . it would not hurt to find out the max. temp of your cpu , and then check your bios to see how hot your cpu is running at . And when and where is the lag . is it on your regular doings with your desktop , on the internet ?? or when you are gamming ??
That is a very impressive system that you have ,, I wish that I had a system like that ,, ya see ,, I have no gpu card . I only have an intergrated apu graphics in my AMD cpu and my cpu is only a 2 core ,, thus , i have to have lots of ram , and is why i have 32 gigs 32.7 with 30.5 useable .

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020
Well you see, I might have a pretty good understanding of the computers itself, but I cannot workout with how the bios works. I have 2 sticks of 4gb. the lag comes in when I'm using multiple programs at once which normally shouldn't be a problem with my normal 8gb of ram. Also when loading into a match in a game the game just freaks out for a small bit before it decides to work normally and be clear of the lag for the whole game, besides when I look for a match and join a match itself. But as I said above I cannot work out on how to work in the bios. What I'm gonna try doing first before I go into the bios and try to fix <Mod Edit> in there is update my bios itself. So I'll see what that does and I'll come back at you

-Chrono

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 27, 2020
Well you see, I might have a pretty good understanding of the computers itself, but I cannot workout with how the bios works. I have 2 sticks of 4gb. the lag comes in when I'm using multiple programs at once which normally shouldn't be a problem with my normal 8gb of ram. Also when loading into a match in a game the game just freaks out for a small bit before it decides to work normally and be clear of the lag for the whole game, besides when I look for a match and join a match itself. But as I said above I cannot work out on how to work in the bios. What I'm gonna try doing first before I go into the bios and try to fix <Mod Edit> in there is update my bios itself. So I'll see what that does and I'll come back at you

-Chrono
After further inspection of my bios it already seems like I updated to the latest one. So my last help is changing settings in the bios and I myself cannot so I hope to find people who have a bigger understanding of the bios then myself. Also after further changing RAM I decided to steal my brother's RAM and his also doesnt work normally in my pc (I don't think it brings much information, but it's worth saying) could it be that my motherboard is faulty or if it were faulty it shouldn't even be able to read 8gb?

Hope for an answer fast -Chrono

Last edited: