Question 4 pin cpu to motherboard. No cable, and no spot on PSU

Nov 6, 2018
I have an EVGA 1600T2, and not only is the 24 pin cable not long enough...sigh. There is a 4 pin connection on my motherboard. I have no cable and even if I did, there isn't a spot on the power supply to plug one in.

What do I do?

iMatty

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
From the pictures i have seen on their website and amazon, there is a 8 pin that is plugged in the power supply and it goes out for 4+4, so you could use 4 pins with no problem.
If the 24 pin is not long enough, get a sleeved cable extension and your problem is solved.

Reactions: Kurtisdede
There is a 4 pin connection on my motherboard. I have no cable and even if I did, there isn't a spot on the power supply to plug one in.
Cable with CPU label - gives 4+4pin EPS connector. One 4pin goes into motherboard, the other hangs unconnected.
220-T2-1600-X1_XL_3.jpg

Reactions: Kurtisdede
Nov 6, 2018
Cable with CPU label - gives 4+4pin EPS connector. One 4pin goes into motherboard, the other hangs unconnected.
Yeah, I think I may not have described properly. The two 4x4 connectors for the 2x 8pin, along with the 24 pin are already used on that motherboard as well. It has a single 4 pin remaining, and there is no place to plug it into the psu. No other EPS cable.

I've determined this PSU isn't what I need, and have to go with a Corsair AX1600i

Last edited:

Truckerlenny

Great
May 20, 2019
Well it is impossible for a 500$ power supply to not have a 4pin.
your just using a well over rated psu for the motherboard you have. the psu was designed for high load requirements in which 2 4 pins is needed. so they just assume that when you spend 500$ on that psu that you will need all that power

Nov 6, 2018
There should be 2 sets of 8pin(PSU end) to 4+4(motherboard end) cable - as shown in the photo above.

And PSU has 2 ports for those cables - labeled CPU1 and CPU2.

220-T2-1600-X1_XL_5.jpg
Sorry, the motherboard has 1x 24 pin, (2x) 8 pin, 1x 4pin. I have used the 24 and both 8 pins. No place for the 4 pin EPS to connect to on the PSU

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2018
your just using a well over rated psu for the motherboard you have. the psu was designed for high load requirements in which 2 4 pins is needed. so they just assume that when you spend 500$ on that psu that you will need all that power

Overrated for the motherboard I have? Guessing you just made a pretty massive assumption is all.

I could honestly run a 2200 redundant in this system if I added a fourth graphics card. I am running dual Xeon 6254's with 2x RTX Titans, a 2080ti, and 384GB DDR4 ECC (12x)-32GB memory modules on a Supermicro X11DPG-QT

Seems as though I need to swap out the EVGA. The Corsair AX1600i has 10 combined CPU/PCIe that should accommodate the extra 12volt 4pin that Supermicro wants for that board.

Last edited:
You can use one of the peripheral molex adapters and a molex to 4 pin eps adapter.
Unless you are heavily overclocking and using sli, it is likely that you do not need the 4 pin eps at all.
Similarly, you can use a 24 pin extender cable.
What is your case and other specs?

Nov 6, 2018
You can use one of the peripheral molex adapters and a molex to 4 pin eps adapter.
Unless you are heavily overclocking and using sli, it is likely that you do not need the 4 pin eps at all.
Similarly, you can use a 24 pin extender cable.
What is your case and other specs?

Supermicro suggested swapping out the power supply, and said that board does use the 4pin...could be for stuff I won't actually need though, have no idea. Not sure how I could use a 24 pin extender, when there are no more CPU outlets on the power supply left. Looking at the molex cables now to see if there's any hope on that front

Dual Xeon 6254's with 2x RTX Titans, a 2080ti, and 384GB DDR4 ECC (12x)-32GB memory modules on a Supermicro X11DPG-QT. Phanteks Elite case

Truckerlenny

Great
May 20, 2019
Overrated for the motherboard I have? Guessing you just made a pretty massive assumption is all.

I could honestly run a 2200 redundant in this system if I added a fourth graphics card. I am running dual Xeon 6254's with 2x RTX Titans, a 2080ti, and 384GB DDR4 ECC (12x)-32GB memory modules on a Supermicro X11DPG-QT

Seems as though I need to swap out the EVGA. The Corsair AX1600i has 10 combined CPU/PCIe that should accommodate the extra 12volt 4pin that Supermicro wants for that board.
i will retrack my statement i guess. seems strange to only have a 4 pin only on the board then but oh well

Nov 6, 2018
i will retrack my statement i guess. seems strange to only have a 4 pin only on the board then but oh well
Yeah, despite Supermicro implying it is needed, I have a feeling it's for even crazier high end server setups, or extra features I may not even use. Never imagined this psu would have stymied my build due to a 4 pin eps