4-pin RGB Strips for ASUS Prime z390-a Board

Oct 31, 2018
I am upgrading my PC and getting the an ASUS Prime z390-a motherboard. On their website it says it has a 4-pin RGB header. I am completely new to RGB components and was wondering if anyone could link some addressable strips that would work with the motherboard.

On their website ASUS has a strip, but on the description it says it is 3-pin, and I haven't been able to find a different one on that site. I did look in Amazon and Newegg but didn't find a reliable one.

I feel like I am missing something, sorry if this is a noob question.

JasenSensation

Reputable
Mar 20, 2014
I have the same board and unfortunately you cannot connect any 3 pin addressable RGB components to them. It will in fact ruin the addressable LEDs as they only need 5volts. Standard non-addressable RGB headers output 12volts.
I too wanted addressable RGB so I got a Phanteks Digital RGB starter kit. That has a controller to cycle through colors and effects. The only way I found to control addressable RGB LEDs through software like Aura Sync was to buy the Asus ROG Aura Terminal that connects to a USB 2.0 header. But that's an extra 80 bucks.
I hope this helps.