Question 4-pin to 3-pin case fan adapter...should exist right?

nicehand90210

Prominent
Jun 14, 2022
Alrighty so I have a situation. I have 4-pin case fans. I have a motherboard whose needed fan port is so close to the Slot 1 that the bracket on the side of the Slot 1 blocks a 4-pin fan from being plugged into the 3-pin port. I've searched ebay for 4-pin-to-3-pin adapters and much to my surprise...I can't find any. Not sure what I should do here. I really like these fans and don't want to have to replace them. Thoughts?

4pin fans are pwm regulated.
They will not be properly controlled on a 3pin header. Will run either at full speed or half speed all the time.

Either get 3pin fans instead
or get a fan controller supporting 4pin fans.

What model motherboard is it BTW?
Can you show a photo? (upload to imgur.com and post link)

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
4-pin fans are designed so that you CAN use them with 3-pin headers, although control of speed is not technically ideal this way. But you DO get full control of the entire speed range.

Try this solution to your problem - a simple 3-pin fan Extension Cable

https://www.amazon.com/Fan-3-Pin-Extension-Power-Cable/dp/B07MNY4V6T/ref=sr_1_2?crid=13OI39U2FDSYU&keywords=3-pin+fan+extension+cable&qid=1655345440&sprefix=3-pin+fan+extension+cable,aps,76&sr=8-2

You can plug the smaller 3-pin female connector of this into that header, then plug the 4-pin fan's connector into the other end of the extension cable.

nicehand90210

Prominent
Jun 14, 2022
4-pin fans are designed so that you CAN use them with 3-pin headers, although control of speed is not technically ideal this way. But you DO get full control of the entire speed range.

Try this solution to your problem - a simple 3-pin fan Extension Cable

https://www.amazon.com/Fan-3-Pin-Extension-Power-Cable/dp/B07MNY4V6T/ref=sr_1_2?crid=13OI39U2FDSYU&keywords=3-pin+fan+extension+cable&qid=1655345440&sprefix=3-pin+fan+extension+cable,aps,76&sr=8-2

You can plug the smaller 3-pin female connector of this into that header, then plug the 4-pin fan's connector into the other end of the extension cable.
PERFECT. Thanks!