[SOLVED] 4 Slots Ram configuration? What are my options?

Jimd0586

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2013
Hi all. I have a Gigabyte Z77-D3h Motherboard with an i5 3570k CPU. I know it's old, but right now replacing the Mx board and CPU is not an option. It has 4 slots for RAM. I had two 4 GB sticks of DDR 3 in it and added a third 4 GB for a total of 12 GB RAM. The performance in terms of loading for gaming was noticeable.

My question is, am I better off adding another 4 GB to the fourth slot or 8 GB to the fourth slot? 4 GB would keep each slot equal at 4 GB for a total of 16 GB of RAM. But 8 GB in the fourth slot would put me up to 20 GB RAM. Would that create issues to mix and match RAM like that? Thoughts? What is my best option given that I cannot change my motherboard?

Solution
Won't matter either way. With 4x sticks, you'll be running dual channel (as long as the sticks match up in speed). If you use a 4Gb stick, you'll have 16Gb in dual channel, if you use an 8Gb stick you'll have 16Gb in dual channel, and if it ever arises you'll finally get to use the final 4Gb in single channel. It's called flex mode, but programs will report the dual channel.

Considering the age and ability of that older pc, chances are that unless you are running Virtual Machines or similar high ram use programs, you'll not come close to using 16Gb, but will use over 8Gb total system ram use.

You only need 4Gb, an extra 8Gb won't get used and just costs more.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Won't matter either way. With 4x sticks, you'll be running dual channel (as long as the sticks match up in speed). If you use a 4Gb stick, you'll have 16Gb in dual channel, if you use an 8Gb stick you'll have 16Gb in dual channel, and if it ever arises you'll finally get to use the final 4Gb in single channel. It's called flex mode, but programs will report the dual channel.

Considering the age and ability of that older pc, chances are that unless you are running Virtual Machines or similar high ram use programs, you'll not come close to using 16Gb, but will use over 8Gb total system ram use.

Solution

Jimd0586

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2013

Thank you Karadjgne!