[SOLVED] 40 gb of unknown storage

Solution
Turns out, I have that same thing.

In WinDirStat - Options, Show Unknown was OFF in mine.
Turn it on, and that same <Unknown> thing appears.
Here, the yellow thing at bottom left. Mine is only 12.6GB.

6qupkPT.png

However, a subsequent run of WDS does NOT show it.
t2uF4DS.png

Notice the 'size' of data on the C drive (circled in red) does not change by 12.6GB up or down.

From an older post at WDS:

What is “<Unknown>”?

"This mysterious item is just the difference between what Windows reports as the free space on the volume minus size of the files WDS can access. Please note the...

USAFRet

Titan

6qupkPT.png

t2uF4DS.png

Notice the 'size' of data on the C drive (circled in red) does not change by 12.6GB up or down.

What is “<Unknown>”?

"This mysterious item is just the difference between what Windows reports as the free space on the volume minus size of the files WDS can access. Please note the part WDS can access! This is the important point here. WDS cannot access the files under System Volume Information on all the (NTFS?) drives, so it cannot sum up the sizes of these items. And by the way, we have had reports of up to 30 GB of “<Unknown>” space. "

Solution
Aug 6, 2020

6qupkPT.png

t2uF4DS.png

What is “<Unknown>”?

"This mysterious item is just the difference between what Windows reports as the free space on the volume minus size of the files WDS can access. Please note the part WDS can access! This is the important point here. WDS cannot access the files under System Volume Information on all the (NTFS?) drives, so it cannot sum up the sizes of these items. And by the way, we have had reports of up to 30 GB of “<Unknown>” space. "
Soo can i remove it or is it necessary for windows. Highlighting all the folders in C drive says 80 gb used out of 200gb. Yet i still have only about 80 gb of free space. My other drives have this unknown thing but it's small at 800mb-1gb each. I read online that the 40gb might be restore points which would make sense since i create a lot of restore points for my C drive bur very rarely for the other 2

USAFRet

Titan
Soo can i remove it or is it necessary for windows. Highlighting all the folders in C drive says 80 gb used out of 200gb. Yet i still have only about 80 gb of free space.
It's not something you can "remove".
System files, logs, restore points.

And selecting "all the folders in C drive " is NOT the totality of what is on there.
There are some things hidden from normal view.

Aug 6, 2020
What are your System Restore Point and pagefile settings?
Is hibernation on or off?
What size is the overall drive (or partition)
Pagefile was set to another drive and i just removed it to be sure.
Deleting system restore points shrinked the unknown by about 1.5gb
the partition is 200gb in size and my pc is set to shutdown on power button and sleep on sleep button. Can't find anything about hibernation