40% Price Cut to Core 2

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nocutius

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
Yea an Intel monopoly is not what I would want to happen, but at this price/performance ratios i simply have to go the intel way eventhogh i'm a bit of an AMD fanboy :oops:

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
Unless Intels price dropping eventually pushes AMD out of the desktop consumer market. Then Intel can raise prices back to where they were a couple years ago. No competition means higher prices for us.

Loser: Consumer
Exactly!

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Unless Intels price dropping eventually pushes AMD out of the desktop consumer market. Then Intel can raise prices back to where they were a couple years ago. No competition means higher prices for us.

Exactly!Yeah...once i get my E4300....i guess they can ditch the price-wars(for the greater good). :p hehehe

Wombat2

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
AMD will never go out of business: BarronScalar and MissBiatch will sell their organs and donate the $ to AMDs coffers before that ever happens.

Whats REALLY going to bite AMD is when their K8L just pulls level to the Core arch but doesnt overtake it :lol:

r0ck

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
Am i slow to hear about the E6320/E6420..or are these newly announced? I've heard of the E6390, and the E6x50 series... but not the 20 series... In a thread last week, someone mentioned E6300/E6400 ES's with 4MB L2.

Newly announced..

In addition, the previously planned Intel Core 2 Duo E6390, which does not support for VT, has been cut in the future plan.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Am i slow to hear about the E6320/E6420..or are these newly announced? I've heard of the E6390, and the E6x50 series... but not the 20 series... In a thread last week, someone mentioned E6300/E6400 ES's with 4MB L2.

Newly announced..

In addition, the previously planned Intel Core 2 Duo E6390, which does not support for VT, has been cut in the future plan.
Thx r0ck.. I didn't even notice the link....i just looked at the price chart. :oops:

The_Abyss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
The better question is how can you pay the same amount of bills if now you have lowered your ASPs to the bare minimum?

The bleeding continues.[/quote]

AMD are haemorrhaging profit at the moment, but their strategy is one of growth and in the short term, this will not really hurt them too much. Profit has been ignored in favour of much higher revenues to prop up the interest payments on their ATI acquisition, hence the deal with Dell etc is vital, even if they lost $5 per chip they wouldn't care. They just need the cashflow to keep themselves going until they release the next chip / solution / whatever to sway user's opinions again and become profitable. This business model can easily run for a couple of years, and the banks won't lose patience anytime soon.

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
The cycle of things continues. Even immediately after Core 2 was released, AMD still was getting a great deal of revenue. For the low to mid level computers out there, AMD can't really be beat (I've had no luck with AMD chips, but my next computer will probably be one). In the server market, from what I understand, the Opteron class is holding its own against Xeon processors.

Then there's the ATI purchase, which will probably just help move things along a bit faster. I still want to see brain power equivalent computers coming out in my lifetime, and have it be affordable. I need to put my personality matrix online so I can bug people for the rest of eternity.

Arrowyx

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
Wow! Looks like it's a good thing I was holding off for the E4300 before I upgrade anyways, but this really shakes things up. 8)

Synergy6

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005

Exactly!Yeah...once i get my E4300....i guess they can ditch the price-wars(for the greater good). :p hehehe

+1
As I don't have a job in the IT sector, the ever-fair MrsBytch's point doesn't bother me in the slightest (fanciful as it is, but we'll not get into that).

Once I get my dirt cheap, rocking CPU in Q2, my need for AMD as a competitive force rather disappears. After all, by the time I'm ready for another (~2011/2) China will likely have it's own "in-house" chips under production for a bit of competition.

Ironic (but also entirely predictable) is the total 180 degree turn by such types.
When Intel keep their prices high, they are killing the poor consumer by exploiting their position.
When Intel keep their prices low, they are killing the poor consumer by exploiting their position.
:roll: Other than "roll over and die", Intel just can't win with some people.

Synergy6

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
[The better question is how can you pay the same amount of bills if now you have lowered your ASPs to the bare minimum?

The bleeding continues.
Ask AMD that..WRT ignoring the enthusiast market/channel and giving everything to DELL(and making a lot less/CPU than retail..i'm sure).It's called volume. :roll:

The enthusiast market is a bunch of get over artists that want more than what they paid for. They're the ones who spend $650 for a GPU but can't just pay th eextra couple of bucks for E6600 over E6400.

That's avery small market. The Dell market is larger in one wek than on eyear of enthusiasts. Since they are slowe than Core 2 you can just buy those and shut up.

AMD now has the extra cash from ATi ad the additional volume afforded by 65nm.

Intel can't resturcuture their cost base until after 45nm when NetBurst is down to less than half of current inventory.

The bleeding will continue.

evilr00t

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
The enthusiast market is a bunch of get over artists that want more than what they paid for. They're the ones who spend $650 for a GPU but can't just pay th eextra couple of bucks for E6600 over E6400.
I feel offended.

The reason we get $650 GPUs [RE: the 8800GTX] is simply because there exists a monopoly on DX10 cards at the moment (explains the high price), and the GTS is horribly crippled compared to the 8800GTX (explains why we don't get the 8800GTS). You can't clock a 8800GTS to get 8800GTX performance levels, the loss of 25% of the stream processors is too much of a performance hit.

The reason we get E6400s instead of E6600s is simply because we can overclock the F*ck out of them and get similar performance out of the chip.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
AMD will never go out of business: BarronScalar and MissBiatch will sell their organs and donate the $ to AMDs coffers before that ever happens.

Whats REALLY going to bite AMD is when their K8L just pulls level to the Core arch but doesnt overtake it :lol:

Not another stalker? Why don't you go play in traffic. Not Internet traffic. Highway traffic.

That's why I would NEVER SUPPORT INTEL. I can't be associated with you in case some highly enlightened aliens visit.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
What's the difference between them(enthusiast), and DELL... who wants CPU's at as close to cost as possible? We all want the most that we can get for our money. In case you don't realise it, a lot of the stockholders that DELL has to "answer to" are enthusiasts.. as well.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
I feel offended.

The reason we get $650 GPUs [RE: the 8800GTX] is simply because there exists a monopoly on DX10 cards at the moment (explains the high price), and the GTS is horribly crippled compared to the 8800GTX (explains why we don't get the 8800GTS). You can't clock a 8800GTS to get 8800GTX performance levels, the loss of 25% of the stream processors is too much of a performance hit.

The reason we get E6400s instead of E6600s is simply because we can overclock the F*ck out of them and get similar performance out of the chip.

That's my point. OCers are such a small portion of the market that they will not cause a decrease in share. The 8800GTS still goes faster than 7900SLI.

And I'm a sucker for buying a WHOLE SYSTEM based on QFX? If people like you stopped paying $600+ for a GPU no one would sell them for that price.

The bleeding will continue. It may even increase for Q1 07.

r0ck

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
I think you're a sucker if you buy Quad FX, regardless of whole system or not :lol:

For what it does, I think the 8800 GTX is justified in its price.. The performance of yesterday's SLI/CF GPU's in one.

Synergy6

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
The bleeding will continue.

Such a forceful, well thought out, persuasive and illuminating statement. Makes me wonder why Intel doesn't just give up now, with industry leviathans such as yourself on the other side of the ring. What hope do they have of making it to New Years? I pity the fool who dreams of picking up a cut-price Intel CPU in Q2, because quite obviously THEY'LL BE BANKRUPT BY THEN! WHY CAN ONLY BARONMATRIX AND I SEE IT? WHHHHYYYYYYY?

Synergy6

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
Great find!

One more thing to think about: If the E4300 comes to $120 in Q2 2007, where are the Pentium E2xxx series going to fall into the price scheme? We may be looking at some $100 Core 2s in 9 months! Let's not forget about the single core Celerons in Q3 as well. They should be great contenders to the Athlon 64 for the ultra-low budget crowd.

TkdRO

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Q2?!?!?

Where do you guys see Q2??? All I can see is Jan.7, 07...

Now isn't that Q1? Or did i miss something here?

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
January: Price of E4300 will be $163 (more realistically $170)
Q2: E4200 debuts, knocks pricing down to $113 for E4300 (probably more like $125)
Q3: Pentium E2xx series and Celeron D 4xx series come out, Intel has full product spectrum using Core architecture

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
January: Price of E4300 will be $163 (more realistically $170)
Q2: E4200 debuts, knocks pricing down to $113 for E4300 (probably more like $125)
Q3: Pentium E2xx series and Celeron D 4xx series come out, Intel has full product spectrum using Core architecture
The funny thing about price wast is that we're finding it hard to find a bottom price. :lol:

RyanMicah

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Hey, that's AMD's fault for not releasing a competetive product. In any case, AMD isn't going anywhere for the next few years.

I suppose you saw Intel's Core2Duo release a two years ahead right? Right buddy. I wouldn't count AMD out yet. You seem to forget the little engine that DID.

Status
Not open for further replies.