Question 400 ft. cat cable connection

867-5309

Commendable
Jun 3, 2022
I have a PTZ camera on a pole along a highway 400 ft. from my house. The connection was OK with a 1080p camera but now I have a 4k camera and I need a better connection. Here's my question. Since I have separate wires for the camera's power (it's not POE), I have four wires in the cat cable that aren't being used. Would it help my connection if I took the four unused wires and connected each one in parallel to each of the four being used? I know that would allow twice as much DC to be carried over a power cable but would doubling the wires for a data cable improve the connection? Is there anything else I can do?

A single ethernet run is limited to 100 meters or ~330 feet. You cannot change this short of placing an active repeater in the span, which will itself require power. In addition, it appears that you are equating twisting the ends of two pieces of wire to doubling the power carrying capacity. This couldn't be further from the truth. If you want to carry more current for a longer distance then the entire conductor must be increased in diameter for the entire length of the run. 400 feet is a very long way to try and run a low voltage DC supply.

867-5309

Commendable
Jun 3, 2022
A single ethernet run is limited to 100 meters or ~330 feet. You cannot change this short of placing an active repeater in the span, which will itself require power. In addition, it appears that you are equating twisting the ends of two pieces of wire to doubling the power carrying capacity. This couldn't be further from the truth. If you want to carry more current for a longer distance then the entire conductor must be increased in diameter for the entire length of the run. 400 feet is a very long way to try and run a low voltage DC supply.
Thanks. That's why I mentioned DC voltage. I didn't know if it worked the same way with data and I could get a better connection with a second set of wires.