Question 400 mbps internet, wifi is perfect, ethernet on PC is 17 mbps dl 10 up

Jarrett_2

Prominent
May 13, 2017
I am having a heck of a time. I recently built a new PC for gaming, and will post specs below. Long story short, I am running Windows 10, and have done every tip and trick, read through countless forums, and uninstalled and reinstalled drivers. My PC is running at 16 - 20 mbps DL and 2 UP with ethernet, but when I plug the ethernet into my XBOX I am getting 400 mbps DL and 20 UP. This is infuriating, because I am trying to download things that once took 30 minutes, now take two hours. I have up to date drivers for my network adapter, and I am up to date with windows. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mobo: ASUS ROG Z390-H
Network Adapter: Intel Ethernet Connection (7) I219-V
Driver version: 12.18.8.4
ISP: Spectrum 400 mbps
Windows: Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB x64

Look at the network properties screen and see what speed your ethernet port is running at. It should be 1000/1000 if not the cable is likely bad. It is not uncommon for broken cable to work on some machine and not others. They sometime randomly work at full speed and then other days they do not. It is way too expensive to get a cable tester that can test cables that partially work.

Jarrett_2

Prominent
May 13, 2017
where did you get the windows from? it is a fresh install?

Yes, windows is a fresh install.

Look at the network properties screen and see what speed your ethernet port is running at. It should be 1000/1000 if not the cable is likely bad. It is not uncommon for broken cable to work on some machine and not others. They sometime randomly work at full speed and then other days they do not. It is way too expensive to get a cable tester that can test cables that partially work.

Internet speed is 1000/1000. I am still having this issue, just updated bios as well, still to no avail. Could it be a motherboard related issue?

peptobismal

Reputable
Feb 16, 2019
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25016/?product=82186

Have you tried these drivers? Just curious as they literally just came out on February 6th of this year... could solve some issues? It's newer than what you have and it is for your specific NIC... it's usually better to download from the manufacturer website than the motherboard manufacturer as theirs tend to lag behind a bit. For example, ASUS shows your driver version as the newest and a quick search on Intel's site says it is not.

Make sure you have no Flow Control, Interrupt Moderation, or anything that would assume Power Saving... Green Ethernet, Energy-Efficient Ethernet, etc. set as enabled in your advanced properties, though they shouldn't cause such a huge difference as you have noted they will cause a little bit.