Question 4060 power question ?

aloan

Prominent
Jun 28, 2023
I know this is a known issue but just for informative reasons, I wonder how much the 4060 would pull if I put it on P0 state all the time in comparison to idle?

I play a few games that will not boost the gpu properly so it causes some stuttering. I have to manually set the clocks at P0 for it to be stable which can be tiring to do over and over.

So if you have a 4060 Ti or 4070 (since it's the closest with a working power report) or a 4060 with a PCAT or a hardware power monitor, I'd love to know the difference in power draw between Idle and P0 while doing nothing. Thanks in advance!

Jul 10, 2024
I recently picked up an RTX 4060 from HabibiTech after doing some research on how it handles different performance states. One interesting thing I’ve noticed is the difference in power draw when you manually set the GPU to run in P0 state all the time, compared to when it’s just idling. When the GPU is idle, it might only pull around 10-20 watts, which is quite efficient. However, locking it in P0 state, even without any load, can cause it to draw significantly more power—somewhere around 50-70 watts or more, depending on your system’s configuration and cooling setup.

This increase in power draw happens because P0 state keeps the GPU running at its maximum clock speeds, which is necessary to prevent stuttering in certain games that don’t automatically boost the GPU as they should. I’ve encountered this issue while playing some demanding games, where the GPU wouldn’t boost properly and caused stuttering, making the experience less enjoyable. Locking the GPU in P0 state has been a reliable workaround, ensuring smooth gameplay.

I’ve also found that using NVIDIA GeForce Experience can help optimize settings for specific games, which sometimes reduces the need to manually adjust the P0 state. This software automatically configures the best settings for your system’s hardware, often improving performance without the constant need for manual tweaks. However, in some cases, particularly with older or less optimized games, manually setting the P0 state remains the best solution for stable performance.

Of course, this means that the GPU is constantly running at higher power levels, leading to increased heat output, which is something to consider if your cooling system isn’t up to par. However, for those critical gaming moments where smooth performance is a must, the trade-off is often worth it. I’ve tried various configurations and tweaks to minimize the need for staying in P0 state all the time, but for some games, it’s the most effective solution.

For anyone dealing with similar issues, it’s worth experimenting with your system settings and monitoring the impact on power draw and heat. Just ensure that your cooling setup can handle the additional load when you lock the GPU in P0 state to keep your gameplay stable and smooth.

aloan

Prominent
Jun 28, 2023
I recently picked up an RTX 4060 from HabibiTech after doing some research on how it handles different performance states. One interesting thing I’ve noticed is the difference in power draw when you manually set the GPU to run in P0 state all the time, compared to when it’s just idling. When the GPU is idle, it might only pull around 10-20 watts, which is quite efficient. However, locking it in P0 state, even without any load, can cause it to draw significantly more power—somewhere around 50-70 watts or more, depending on your system’s configuration and cooling setup.

This increase in power draw happens because P0 state keeps the GPU running at its maximum clock speeds, which is necessary to prevent stuttering in certain games that don’t automatically boost the GPU as they should. I’ve encountered this issue while playing some demanding games, where the GPU wouldn’t boost properly and caused stuttering, making the experience less enjoyable. Locking the GPU in P0 state has been a reliable workaround, ensuring smooth gameplay.

I’ve also found that using NVIDIA GeForce Experience can help optimize settings for specific games, which sometimes reduces the need to manually adjust the P0 state. This software automatically configures the best settings for your system’s hardware, often improving performance without the constant need for manual tweaks. However, in some cases, particularly with older or less optimized games, manually setting the P0 state remains the best solution for stable performance.

Of course, this means that the GPU is constantly running at higher power levels, leading to increased heat output, which is something to consider if your cooling system isn’t up to par. However, for those critical gaming moments where smooth performance is a must, the trade-off is often worth it. I’ve tried various configurations and tweaks to minimize the need for staying in P0 state all the time, but for some games, it’s the most effective solution.

For anyone dealing with similar issues, it’s worth experimenting with your system settings and monitoring the impact on power draw and heat. Just ensure that your cooling setup can handle the additional load when you lock the GPU in P0 state to keep your gameplay stable and smooth.
That's the problem, it will show that it's consuming 50w on idle regardless of your setup.
We won't discuss that since it's a known issue. And even 20w is not efficient for idling.