Question 4070 Super Dual OC Connection to AX1200i PSU

Aug 7, 2024
Hi all,

It's been a while since I've had to do any form of component upgrade or replacement on a computer, so I was hoping for some validation on what I'm trying to do please.

I'm looking to install a 4070 Super Dual OC GPU onto my current machine, powered by a AX1200i PSU. Everything checks out on PC Part Picker, but the one thing I aren't 100% sure on is the power connection.

My understanding is that the card comes with a 16-pin 12VHPWR adapter which then needs to be connected to 2x 6+2 pin pcie connectors from the PSU, with the caveat that these should be separate cables and NOT daisy-chained. I've attached a very artistic diagram to illustrate this.

Could I ask please:
  • Does this sound accurate and feasible?
  • Is this the best way?
  • Will I avoid setting myself, or worse, the computer on fire?
I understand that this is probably a simple question, so any help or pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

4070-Super-Connections.png

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I'm looking to install a 4070 Super Dual OC GPU onto my current machine, powered by a AX1200i PSU. Everything checks out on PC Part Picker, but the one thing I aren't 100% sure on is the power connection.
Why does your PSU look like the AX1200i unit from 12 years ago? How old is your PSU and what did it power through it's tenure?

1| Yes
2| If you had a harness that went straight from the PSU to the GPU, that'd have been better.
3| If the connector isn't fully seated, that'd be cause for a melted connector.

but my concern is with your PSU, not the connector.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2024
Thanks for the quick responses!

I didn't realise the PSU was quite that old, but I've not had any issues with it at all, so I didn't want to replace it unless absolutely necessary. At the moment I'm running with a 1070 ti and a 780 ti, although I don't really use the latter; I've just never bothered to take it out.

@Eximo - So basically I could just use one of them direct from the PSU, instead of using the provided adapter. Is this the better method as Lutfij has suggested?

Thanks