Question 4070 Ti vs 7900 XT ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Thomaszz

Honorable
Jul 24, 2017
Hi all,

So I just received part of my pc parts for my new PC that I am building but I still have yet to pull the trigger on which GPU I am buying. I am unsure If I should got with the XFX Speedster MRC310 RX 7900XT or with an NVIDIA 4070Ti (unsure which version). I was leaning more towards the 7900XT because of more VRAM but do not know if that is a really big deal. The 7900XT also seems to be outperforming the 4070ti in most benchmarks.

My past GPU's have all been NVIDIA (GTX 960 and 1080ti) so I have no experience with AMD GPU's whatsoever.

The build that I put together and already bought:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://nl.pcpartpicker.com/list/jyphnt

Motherboard: MSI MAG Z790 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (€328.91 @ Amazon Netherlands)
CPU: Intel Core i7-13700K 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor (€439.00 @ Amazon Netherlands)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool AK620 68.99 CFM CPU Cooler (€73.85 @ Megekko)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory (€104.85 @ Azerty)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN770 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (€107.90 @ Amazon Netherlands)
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case (€89.90 @ Amazon Netherlands)
Power Supply: Corsair RM850x (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€159.90 @ Amazon Netherlands)
Case Fan: ARCTIC P12 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fan (€8.01 @ Amazon Netherlands)
Total: €1320.33

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for:
  • GTA
  • The Last of Us Part 1
  • God of War
  • Cyberpunk
  • Upcoming BF and COD
  • CSGO
  • Any new upcoming games that I find interesting
Monitors I am using:
  • XL2411Z
  • ASUS ROG PG258Q
For now I will play on 1080p, but I hope to play 1440p in the future with a new monitor.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
D
If you ask my opinion, then I will recommend getting the RX 7900 XT GPU instead. More VRAM, more future proof as well. But do NOT buy the XFX brand. Go for some other AIB.

Without ray tracing, the RX 7900 XT can outperform the RTX 4070 Ti, and sometimes by a wide margin.

But in most cases, neither card is going to give great ray-tracing performance (at least not without DLSS/FSR), and most games don't even have ray tracing as an option.

This is especially true if you're gaming at 1440p or lower. This, plus the much larger VRAM pool, gives the RX 7900 XT a clear advantage when it comes to smaller texture files used at 1440p and 1080p, and also on 4K.

But, if ray tracing/RTX specifically is your main concern, then you'll...
Thank you for the detailed reply. Seems like returning the 13700k might be worth it haha. What MOBO and RAM sticks would I pair with the 7800X3D?

EDIT: is the 7800X3D "worth" the +- 100 extra euros I would have to invest. CPU is around 30 euros more expensive, good ram sticks about 70 euros.
You're welcome. I prefer making detailed replies because I'm not going to help you if I try to half-arse it.

Well, keep one thing in mind, the R7-7800X3D can't be overclocked so you could just get a cheap A620 MOBO if you want to and it'll still game exactly the same. Why buy an overclocking motherboard for a non-overclocking CPU? As for the RAM, that's the other joy of X3D CPUs, they don't really benefit from faster RAM because their 3D caches take care of that instead.

I don't know where in Europe you are so I'll use Germany as it's pretty centrally-located.
Motherboard: ASRock A620M-HDV/M.2 µATX - €97.38
RAM: Corsair Vengeance (2x16 GB) DDR5-5600 - €99
There. Less than €200 and you're good to go!

Now, some might point out that the motherboard I selected has only 2 DIMM slots for RAM but it doesn't matter because that motherboard and CPU will be long obsolete before 32GB of RAM isn't enough. If 32GB isn't enough (I don't know why it wouldn't be, but I'm not you), then you can get this instead:
G.Skill DIMM 64 GB DDR5-6000 (2x 32 GB) - €181

That's the path I would choose. Since the R7-7800X3D is always running at stock settings, it's not even a challenge for the VRMs of even the cheapest A620 motherboard. Not even an X670E motherboard would give you better performance, just a bunch of fancy features that you would probably never use in exchange for money that you definitely could use. ;)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2838871

Absolutely it is. Have you seen the power consumption and heat numbers on the Intel CPUs? They're absolutely in-sane!

I wouldn't keep it because the difference in power draw and heat generation is just huge. The Ryzen CPUs are way more efficient than the 13th-gen Core CPUs. I actually feel sorry for the people who bought those oven burners.

Hahah... yep. I honestly don't get why people are still considering Intel 13th gen. Horrible efficiency... EOL platform... (is the upcoming "Raptor Lake Refresh" an extension? :ROFLMAO: ) AM5 support till 2026 and much better efficiency with Ryzen. What's not to like? I'm a guy that just jumped off the Intel train after 20 years... and just saved an additional 3C on my already amazing temps with Noctua's new offset brackets.

Imagine running an all core burn test for 30 mins on your 16 core CPU and only hitting 85C.

Did it last night.

Thomaszz

Honorable
Jul 24, 2017
You're welcome. I prefer making detailed replies because I'm not going to help you if I try to half-arse it.

Well, keep one thing in mind, the R7-7800X3D can't be overclocked so you could just get a cheap A720 MOBO if you want to and it'll still game exactly the same. Why buy an overclocking motherboard for a non-overclocking CPU? As for the RAM, that's the other joy of X3D CPUs, they don't really benefit from faster RAM because their 3D caches take care of that instead.

I don't know where in Europe you are so I'll use Germany as it's pretty centrally-located.
Motherboard: ASRock A620M-HDV/M.2 µATX - €97.38
RAM: Corsair Vengeance (2x16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL36 - €99
There. Less than €200 and you're good to go!

Now, some might point out that the motherboard I selected has only 2 DIMM slots for RAM but it doesn't matter because that motherboard and CPU will be long obsolete before 32GB of RAM isn't enough. If 32GB isn't enough (I don't know why it wouldn't be, but I'm not you), then you can get this instead:
G.Skill DIMM 64 GB DDR5-6000 (2x 32 GB) - €181

That's the path I would choose. Since the R7-7800X3D is always running at stock settings, it's not even a challenge for the VRMs of even the cheapest A520 motherboard. Not even an X670E motherboard would give you better performance, just a bunch of fancy features that you would probably never use in exchange for money that you definitely would use. ;)
Wow A620M seems really low for an 7800X3D, isn't a B650 needed? What are the up and downsides?
I am reading that the "sweet spot" for DDR5 ram for the 7800X3D is DDR5-6000, although you are correct that RAM speed barely matters for this CPU. Quite interesting so to say. Currently looking at these kits:
32GB is indeed enough for me and I am located in The Netherlands

Reactions: artk2219
Hahah... yep. I honestly don't get why people are still considering Intel 13th gen. Horrible efficiency... EOL platform... (is the upcoming "Raptor Lake Refresh" an extension? :ROFLMAO: ) AM5 support till 2026 and much better efficiency with Ryzen. What's not to like?
Yep, that's pretty much why Intel was battered so badly by AM4. Ryzen had better efficiency and a very long-lived platform for cheap and easy CPU upgrades.
I'm a guy that just jumped off the Intel train after 20 years... and just saved an additional 3C on my already amazing temps with Noctua's new offset brackets.
I know exactly what you mean. I had used exclusively Intel from 1988 when I did my first build with an 80286-16 to 2009 when I bought my Phenom II X4 940 and never looked back.
Imagine running an all core burn test for 30 mins on your 16 core CPU and only hitting 85C.

Did it last night.
That's damn impressive alright, something that you couldn't do with a Raptor Lake CPU.

You know, they should've called it Boiling Lake:
video_image-As0ZYSHk7.jpeg

Not bad, eh? It's been a little while since I've made a meme. I think I have a talent for it! ;)

Thomaszz

Honorable
Jul 24, 2017
Yep, that's pretty much why Intel was battered so badly by AM4. Ryzen had better efficiency and a very long-lived platform for cheap and easy CPU upgrades.

I know exactly what you mean. I had used exclusively Intel from 1988 when I did my first build with an 80286-16 to 2009 when I bought my Phenom II X4 940 and never looked back.

That's damn impressive alright, something that you couldn't do with a Raptor Lake CPU.

video_image-As0ZYSHk7.jpeg

Not bad, eh? It's been a little while since I've made a meme. I think I have a talent for it! ;)
You could make it a profession :) I kind of want to go with DDR5-6000 seems that is the sweetspot for AM5/7800X3D from what I have been reading.
Which one of these kits would you choose:

The Flare has EXPO and the Ripjaws XMP. Do not know if this makes a big difference since the RIPJAWS are about 20 euros cheaper right now.

Also still curious If I am not downgrading too much when choosing an A620m over a B650/M

D

Deleted member 2838871

Athlon XP 1800+ with GeForce3 Ti 200 in 2001 to a 7950x3D with 4090 in 2023... with a whole lot of Intel in between.

Hahah... great meme... and I forgot to mention that the 85C burn test was at a power draw of around 150W.

P.S. Not a hater... I really don't care who makes my stuff... as long as its what I want. I went AMD after a long stint with Intel... just like I went Ford for the first time ever last year (Bronco) after a long stint with Dodge (Challenger).

If I like it... I will buy it. Manufacturer isn't relevant.

Wow A620M seems really low for an 7800X3D, isn't a B650 needed? What are the up and downsides?
No, a B650 is not needed. The only significant difference between A620 and B650 is that B650 allows CPU overclocking while A620 does not. As a result, the B650 will have sturdier VRMs because it needs them in case the user wants to OC their CPU. Since the R7-7800X3D can't be overclocked, it has no need for anything more than an A520.

Now, if you want PCI-Express v5.0 you'll need a B650E or X670E motherboard but I don't see the point of that. PCI-Express v5.0 is brand-new and so everything for it will be so expensive as to not be worth buying. Personally, when it comes to NVMe storage, I still buy PCI-Express v3.0 x4 because it's way cheaper and more than fast enough even though my motherboard is PCI-e4.

Consider this... PCI-e4 is theoretically double the speed of PCI-e3. The reason that the word "theoretically" is used is because there are always bottlenecks in any system that slow things down to far below their theoretical speed. Thus the actual performance of PCI-e4, while superior to PCI-e3, is nowhere near double. These same bottlenecks would have an even bigger effect on PCI-e5 because its theoretical speed is astronomical.

You have to remember that PCI-e4 wasn't en vogue for very long. The only AM4 boards to have it were the last-generation X570 and B550. Now PCI-e5 comes out on some of the new AM5 boards and it's ridiculous because we've barely gotten into the AM4 standard. the most common NVMe drives on the market are all still PCI-e3 and the majority of PCs out there are still using PCI-e3. PCI-e3 was used for A320, A420, B350, B450 and A520 boards. These are what most people still have and still happily use. For a high-end gaming rig, PCI-e4 is more than enough as most PCs are still on PCI-e3.

My mother's HTPC uses an old 990FX board with an FX-8350 and an RX 6500 XT. That RX 6500 XT has only 4 PCI-e4 lanes on it and so it demonstrated performance deficits on PCI-e3 motherboards. Now, try to imagine that her 990FX motherboard (which used to be mine) is only PCI-e2! Does she have any problems? Absolutely not, because she doesn't do 3D-accelerated gaming or anything like that. She was happy using my old Phenom II X4 940 with an ancient Radeon HD 5450 video card. This is proof of just how overly-advanced our tech has become and how little things like that matter.

The higher-end chipsets might have, like, a few more SATA ports, maybe an extra M.2 port and some more USB ports. The thing is, if an A620 board has all of the ports that you need, is there really any point in paying for more than that? I don't think so, but only you know what you need. It has two M.2 sockets and two PCI-Express x16 slots. That's not bad at all for a µATX board and it's a huge €57 step from there to the B650 version.

Here's the I/O panel for the ASRock A620M-HDV/M.2:
A620M-HDVM.2(M6).png

Here's the I/O panel for an ASRock B650M-HDV/M.2 (the B650 version of the same board) which costs €157:
B650M-HDVM.2(M6).png

I see only two extra USB ports and an integrated I/O shield. Does it really look like it's worth paying an extra 57% for it? If it's for an R7-7800X3D, it sure wouldn't be worth the extra to me. In Canada, the B650 is only like $35CAD ($26USD) more expensive than the A620 but in your case, it's an extra €57! That's a huge price difference and with a CPU that can't be overclocked, it's not worth it if the A620 board has all that you want. Remember, gaming isn't difficult for a modern PC.

The features of the A620 board are more than enough for most gamers and it's definitely the one I would get. The only reason that I have an X570 board is because, when I bought it, there was no R7-5800X3D and I wanted OC capability for my R5-3600X and R7-5700X. If I was buying a board with the R7-5800X3D in mind, it would've been an A520 board, I can guarantee you that. I actually picked up a Biostar A320M-A µATX motherboard because it was on clearance at Canada Computers for only $40CAD. I didn't need it but I couldn't say no to it either. :ROFLMAO:

If this board were to fail out of its 3-year warranty (which almost never happens) and you had to replace it out of your own pocket, there's no way that it wouldn't be far less than €99 by then to replace it. However, if that happened to the B550 model, not only would you have already spent way more, but you'd have to spend way more again to replace it for absolutely no performance advantage whatsoever.
I am reading that the "sweet spot" for DDR5 ram for the 7800X3D is DDR5-6000, although you are correct that RAM speed barely matters for this CPU. Quite interesting so to say. Currently looking at these kits:
32GB is indeed enough for me and I am located in The Netherlands
Oh yes, you're right. I forget sometimes because I know that it makes almost no difference so I don't look all that closely.

Of those kits you chose, the G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB won't work because it's not optimised for AMD EXPO, it's optimised for Intel XMP. That makes it incompatible with AM5 CPUs at this time. As for the other two, I don't see the point of paying that much when this would work just as well:
Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2x16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 - €100
The Corsair Vengeance I posted specifically says "Optimized for AMD EXPO". Well, to be honest, I had to switch PCPartPicker to Canada so that I could read the specs at Canada Computers because my Nederlander is kind of rusty. ;)

Last edited:

Thomaszz

Honorable
Jul 24, 2017
No, a B650 is not needed. The only significant difference between A620 and B650 is that B650 allows CPU overclocking while A620 does not. As a result, the B650 will have sturdier VRMs because it needs them in case the user wants to OC their CPU. Since the R7-7800X3D can't be overclocked, it has no need for anything more than an A520.

Now, if you want PCI-Express v5.0 you'll need a B650E or X670E motherboard but I don't see the point of that. PCI-Express v5.0 is brand-new and so everything for it will be so expensive as to not be worth buying. Personally, when it comes to NVMe storage, I still buy PCI-Express v3.0 x4 because it's way cheaper and more than fast enough even though my motherboard is PCI-e4.

Consider this... PCI-e4 is theoretically double the speed of PCI-e3. The reason that the word "theoretically" is used is because there are always bottlenecks in any system that slow things down to far below their theoretical speed. Thus the actual performance of PCI-e4, while superior to PCI-e3, is nowhere near double. These same bottlenecks would have an even bigger effect on PCI-e5 because its theoretical speed is astronomical.

You have to remember that PCI-e4 wasn't en vogue for very long. The only AM4 boards to have it were the last-generation X570 and B550. Now PCI-e5 comes out on some of the new AM5 boards and it's ridiculous because we've barely gotten into the AM4 standard. the most common NVMe drives on the market are all still PCI-e3 and the majority of PCs out there are still using PCI-e3. PCI-e3 was used for A320, A420, B350, B450 and A520 boards. These are what most people still have and still happily use. For a high-end gaming rig, PCI-e4 is more than enough as most PCs are still on PCI-e3.

My mother's HTPC uses an old 990FX board with an FX-8350 and an RX 6500 XT. That RX 6500 XT has only 4 PCI-e4 lanes on it and so it demonstrated performance deficits on PCI-e3 motherboards. Now, try to imagine that her 990FX motherboard (which used to be mine) is only PCI-e2! Does she have any problems? Absolutely not, because she doesn't do 3D-accelerated gaming or anything like that. She was happy using my old Phenom II X4 940 with an ancient Radeon HD 5450 video card. This is proof of just how overly-advanced our tech has become and how little things like that matter.

The higher-end chipsets might have, like, a few more SATA ports, maybe an extra M.2 port and some more USB ports. The thing is, if an A620 board has all of the ports that you need, is there really any point in paying for more than that? I don't think so, but only you know what you need. It has two M.2 sockets and two PCI-Express x16 slots. That's not bad at all for a µATX board and it's a huge €57 step from there to the B650 version.

Here's the I/O panel for the ASRock A620M-HDV/M.2:
A620M-HDVM.2(M6).png

Here's the I/O panel for an ASRock B650M-HDV/M.2 (the B650 version of the same board) which costs €157:
B650M-HDVM.2(M6).png

I see only two extra USB ports and an integrated I/O shield. Does it really look like it's worth paying an extra 57% for it? If it's for an R7-7800X3D, it sure wouldn't be worth the extra to me. In Canada, the B650 is only like $35CAD ($26USD) more expensive than the A620 but in your case, it's an extra €57! That's a huge price difference and with a CPU that can't be overclocked, it's not worth it if the A620 board has all that you want. Remember, gaming isn't difficult for a modern PC.

The features of the A620 board are more than enough for most gamers and it's definitely the one I would get. The only reason that I have an X570 board is because, when I bought it, there was no R7-5800X3D and I wanted OC capability for my R5-3600X and R7-5700X. If I was buying a board with the R7-5800X3D in mind, it would've been an A520 board, I can guarantee you that. I actually picked up a Biostar A320M-A µATX motherboard because it was on clearance at Canada Computers for only $40CAD. I didn't need it but I couldn't say no to it either. :ROFLMAO:

If this board were to fail out of its 3-year warranty (which almost never happens) and you had to replace it out of your own pocket, there's no way that it wouldn't be far less than €99 by then to replace it. However, if that happened to the B550 model, not only would you have already spent way more, but you'd have to spend way more again to replace it for absolutely no performance advantage whatsoever.

Oh yes, you're right. I forget sometimes because I know that it makes almost no difference so I don't look all that closely.

Of those kits you chose, the G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB won't work because it's not optimised for AMD EXPO, it's optimised for Intel XMP. That makes it incompatible with AM5 CPUs at this time. As for the other two, I don't see the point of paying that much when this would work just as well:
Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2x16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 - €100
The Corsair Vengeance I posted specifically says "Optimized for AMD EXPO". Well, to be honest, I had to switch PCPartPicker to Canada so that I could read the specs at Canada Computers because my Nederlander is kind of rusty. ;)
Thanks again for the detailed reply. On another forum I read that AM5 really heavily favours lower cas latency ram, is this true?

Regarding the MOBO, I think I do have to go with the B650M because of the amount of USB ports I need (4-5). There is no difference in fitting the GPU in B650M to B650 right since it is Micro ATX? This probs sounds stupid but wanted to ask anyway haha

I also bought 2 extra case fans but I am guessing the B650M has 2 "connections" for that

Last edited:
Thanks again for the detailed reply. On another forum I read that AM5 really heavily favours lower cas latency ram, is this true?
Yes and no.

YES: Lower-latency RAM has been favoured by AMD since Ryzen CPUs first came out.

NO: Faster/Low-Latency RAM makes almost no difference whatsoever with X3D CPUs because their 3D V-cache already has lower latency than the fastest RAM ever made.

TechSpot has done some tests to see how RAM scales with X3D CPUs. The first was, of course, the R7-5800X3D:
Average.png

Then they did the same test for the R9-7950X3D and compared it to both the i9-13900K and R7-7700X to see how much of a difference the 3D V-cache makes:
2023-02-28-image-8-p.webp

Now, I'll admit that neither of these would be 100% indicative of how RAM would scale on the R7-7800X3D. This is because it's a DDR5-using Zen4 version of the R7-5800X3D so it possibly won't be exactly the same but it's pretty clear that RAM speed and latency is a lot less relevant when it comes to X3D CPUs, regardless of generation.
Regarding the MOBO, I think I do have to go with the B650M because of the amount of USB ports I need (4-5).
Ummm... I think maybe you should look again:
A620M-HDVM.2(M6).png

I don't know about you but I count five USB ports there (two blue, two black and one USB-C). Then of course, there will be at least two more on the front of your PC case to make seven. If you decide to spend the extra €57, it wont be because of USB ports because that motherboard supports a total of nine. Last time I looked, seven and nine are both more than four or five.

You could also use this:
71syDG9IabL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Cablecc PCI Express 5 Gb/s 4 poorten USB 3.0 moederbord uitbreidingskaart adapter - €13.19
Four extra USB3 ports plus an extra SATA port for €13 sure beats €57, you just pop it into one of the PCI-e slots that your video card isn't occupying and ta-daaa! Instant USB ports!

The best part about it is that when you upgrade your motherboard, you can swap it over and use it in that one too. PCI-Express expansion cards are probably the single most-overlooked PC parts in the world right now.

Because I've been building PCs so long, I remember when everything had to be on an expansion card. Back then, nothing was built into the motherboard except the keyboard port. Video cards, sound cards, mouse cards, internal modems, drive controller cards, serial cards, parallel cards, etc. It was very easy to max out a motherboard back then. These days, almost all of these slots sit empty because nobody remembers that they exist to be used for things just like this! I don't care how many M.2 ports my motherboard has because I'll just grab an NVMe mounting card if I need to (and I have).

Paying an extra €57 just to ensure that your PCI-Express slots do nothing but gather dust would be a stupid thing to do. You're free to do it of course, but when you think about it logically, your emotions are controlling you. They're telling you that an A620 motherboard won't be enough. If that were the case though, I wouldn't be recommending it to you. My extensive PC knowledge allows me to see through the marketing smokescreen and it has served me very well. Now that X3D CPUs exist, I will only ever buy A-series motherboards for them because paying for OC performance when you can't OC is just a dumb waste of money. ;)(y)
There is no difference in fitting the GPU in B650M to B650 right since it is Micro ATX? This probs sounds stupid but wanted to ask anyway haha
No difference at all. PCI-Express x16 slots are the same on both boards. The µATX board is just physically smaller and has fewer slots than a full-size ATX board. The good part about µATX boards is that they fit into smaller (and cheaper) µATX cases as well as full-size ATX cases.
I also bought 2 extra case fans but I am guessing the B650M has 2 "connections" for that
All motherboards have connections for that, never fear. :giggle:

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2023
I was actually coming here to search for this exact topic and it was on main page lol. I too am looking at running 1 of those 2. Now I'm pretty set on the 7900 XT with a 7700x. But I'm going to look into the 7800X3D now too. For the 7900XT I'm looking at the hellraiser. Also gonna run 32gb ram hopefully 5600 or 6000 depending on board of course

I was actually coming here to search for this exact topic and it was on main page lol. I too am looking at running 1 of those 2. Now I'm pretty set on the 7900 XT with a 7700x. But I'm going to look into the 7800X3D now too. For the 7900XT I'm looking at the hellraiser. Also gonna run 32gb ram hopefully 5600 or 6000 depending on board of course
Well at least now you know that if you do go for the 7800X3D, the rules change a bit and you're able to reduce the amount that you spend on your motherboard and RAM. :giggle: (y)

Kkkk1

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
Hi all,

So I just received part of my pc parts for my new PC that I am building but I still have yet to pull the trigger on which GPU I am buying. I am unsure If I should got with the XFX Speedster MRC310 RX 7900XT or with an NVIDIA 4070Ti (unsure which version). I was leaning more towards the 7900XT because of more VRAM but do not know if that is a really big deal. The 7900XT also seems to be outperforming the 4070ti in most benchmarks.

My past GPU's have all been NVIDIA (GTX 960 and 1080ti) so I have no experience with AMD GPU's whatsoever.

The build that I put together and already bought:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://nl.pcpartpicker.com/list/jyphnt

Motherboard: MSI MAG Z790 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (€328.91 @ Amazon Netherlands)
CPU: Intel Core i7-13700K 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor (€439.00 @ Amazon Netherlands)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool AK620 68.99 CFM CPU Cooler (€73.85 @ Megekko)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory (€104.85 @ Azerty)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN770 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (€107.90 @ Amazon Netherlands)
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case (€89.90 @ Amazon Netherlands)
Power Supply: Corsair RM850x (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€159.90 @ Amazon Netherlands)
Total: €1320.33

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for:
  • GTA
  • The Last of Us Part 1
  • God of War
  • Cyberpunk
  • Upcoming BF and COD
  • CSGO
  • Any new upcoming games that I find interesting
Monitors I am using:
  • XL2411Z
  • ASUS ROG PG258Q
For now I will play on 1080p, but I hope to play 1440p in the future with a new monitor.

Thanks in advance.
So i had the same dilemma last week wanting to upgrade from a 1080Ti. I chose 4070Ti over 7900XT. Reason?
For me it boiled down to the fact a 4070Ti is a great 1440p card and i have no intention of upgrading my monitor any time soon. Furthermore i will admit the 7900XT is probably slightly better when RayTracing is not enabled. However when it is enabled the 4070Ti handles MUCH better than the 7900XT. Add to the mix of DLSS on the 4070 and it's a no brainer. Yes i know not that many games support RayTracing and DLSS at the moment but it is only going to get more and more popular.

D

Deleted member 2838871

So i had the same dilemma last week wanting to upgrade from a 1080Ti. I chose 4070Ti over 7900XT. Reason?
For me it boiled down to the fact a 4070Ti is a great 1440p card and i have no intention of upgrading my monitor any time soon.

Glad to hear that... because I just ordered an Alienware m18 laptop for my mobile workstation needs and went with the mobile 4080... which is basically a cut down 4070 Ti. Will be all that I need for a laptop at 1440p.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thomaszz, I came across something that I didn't expect. Apparently AMD saw the possibility of someone using an A620 chipset with an X3D chip and decided to make it impossible (those arseholes!). All A620 motherboards have been limited to 65W, something that they hadn't done with A-level boards of previous generations.

The reason that I recommended the A620 board was because of an experiment that I performed here at home. I benchmarked my own R7-5800X3D on these three boards:
  1. ASRock X570 Pro4
  2. ASRock X370 Killer SLI
  3. Biostar A320MH v6.0
I don't remember the exact scores that I got back from 3DMark and Passmark but they were all within margin of error. This was quite surprising to me but it made me realise that there was no point to getting a board capable of overclocking for an X3D CPU. AMD had never set such a wattage limit on A320 or A520 chipsets so I certainly didn't expect that they would do it with their A620.

In fact, I came across it by accident when looking at it on newegg.ca where it clearly states that it supports only 65W CPUs. That wasn't in the Nederlander Amazon listing so it didn't even cross my mind. I'm afraid that AMD blindsided me with this aspect of the AM5 platform.

Because of this, your suggestion of the ASRock B650-HDV/M.2 would be the correct one.
ASRock B650M-HDV/M.2 - $125

I try my best but sometimes these companies manage to put things past me, especially things that I would've never expected.

Yes i know not that many games support RayTracing and DLSS at the moment but it is only going to get more and more popular.
For a card at that level, DLSS vs. FSR (or XeSS) shouldn't even enter your thought processes because by the time you need to use either one (probably at least three years from now), they'll be very different from what they are now so what they are now is irrelevant.

Just look at the state that both DLSS and FSR were in three years ago, compare them to how they are today and you'll understand what I'm talking about.

Glad to hear that... because I just ordered an Alienware m18 laptop for my mobile workstation needs and went with the mobile 4080... which is basically a cut down 4070 Ti. Will be all that I need for a laptop at 1440p.
Travis, if you game on a craptop-sized screen, I question the point of having 1440p capability because at 18" or less, I can't imagine that you'd be able to tell 1440p from 1080p (or possibly even 720p).

I know that on my 15.6" ASUS Vivobook, it has a 1080p screen but I leave everything at 720p because I literally cannot tell one from the other at that size.

If you're planning on using an external display (like hotel room TVs), then it might make a difference.

D

Deleted member 2838871

Travis, if you game on a craptop-sized screen, I question the point of having 1440p capability because at 18" or less, I can't imagine that you'd be able to tell 1440p from 1080p (or possibly even 720p).

Yeah it makes sense. I honestly don't much care about either 1080p or 1440p on a laptop... but what it boiled down to was the fact that the screen options were limited. I had a choice of a 16" 1080p at 480hz (LOL?) and the 18" 1440p (it's 2560x1600) at 165hz which were the same price.

Every reviewer said unless you are a competitive gamer the 480hz is a wash... and they also said the 18 is the better unit... bigger = better cooling with laptops?

I went bare minimum on the ram (16gb DDR5 and 512GB Gen 4 SSD) because both are upgradeable... which I will be doing myself and saving a bunch over paying Dell's markups. Probably gonna go 64gb ram with 6TB SSD (2+2+1+1TB drives). I went 4080 (which is basically a desktop 4070 Ti) because that's all I needed and because the 4080/4090 laptops come with 4 m.2 slots... the lesser models only come with 2.

Add it all up and going with the m18 made the most sense... both in cost and upgradability. The performance reviews were good too. This is just a secondary machine... my mobile video editing/storage unit with a little side gaming thrown in and much like the desktop I think I'm good to go for the next 5+ years.

Yeah it makes sense. I honestly don't much care about either 1080p or 1440p on a laptop... but what it boiled down to was the fact that the screen options were limited. I had a choice of a 16" 1080p at 480hz (LOL?) and the 18" 1440p (it's 2560x1600) at 165hz which were the same price.
Well, if it's the same price, by all means, go for it! :giggle:
Every reviewer said unless you are a competitive gamer the 480hz is a wash... and they also said the 18 is the better unit... bigger = better cooling with laptops?
Theoretically, yeah. The idea is that there's more space inside the case for air to flow in larger craptops. I don't think that's as big of a deal as just having that larger screen and, by consequence, a larger and more complete keyboard. These days, it's rare to find craptops of any size that have cooling problems (assuming that you don't get an Intel 13th-gen CPU). ;)
I went bare minimum on the ram (16gb DDR5 and 512GB Gen 4 SSD) because both are upgradeable... which I will be doing myself and saving a bunch over paying Dell's markups. Probably gonna go 64gb ram with 6TB SSD (2+2+1+1TB drives). I went 4080 (which is basically a desktop 4070 Ti) because that's all I needed and because the 4080/4090 laptops come with 4 m.2 slots... the lesser models only come with 2.
Four M.2 slots? That's two more than my desktop motherboard has and four more than my craptop has! For me, I look at things like the number of USB ports and illuminated keyboards (I love those).
Add it all up and going with the m18 made the most sense... both in cost and upgradability. The performance reviews were good too. This is just a secondary machine... my mobile video editing/storage unit with a little side gaming thrown in and much like the desktop I think I'm good to go for the next 5+ years.
Well, it sounds like your secondary craptop is going to be a lot better than my primary (and only) craptop. It would make sense though because I only use craptops for mobility. I think that the only game I have on my craptop is Armada II. :LOL:

D

Deleted member 2838871

Well, if it's the same price, by all means, go for it! :giggle:
:)

Theoretically, yeah. The idea is that there's more space inside the case for air to flow in larger craptops. I don't think that's as big of a deal as just having that larger screen and, by consequence, a larger and more complete keyboard. These days, it's rare to find craptops of any size that have cooling problems (assuming that you don't get an Intel 13th-gen CPU). ;)

It's funny you mention that because all the reviews I saw where the laptop was running hot and/or they were repasting it were running 13th gen. :ROFLMAO: My experiences with my Ryzen desktop had me going with the Ryzen mobile processor. Easy choice.

Four M.2 slots? That's two more than my desktop motherboard has and four more than my craptop has! For me, I look at things like the number of USB ports and illuminated keyboards (I love those).

Yeah... 2x 2280 and 2x 2230 slots. Also has a few USBs and the whole RGB thing going on. It's Alienware after all. I went with the mechanical cherry MX keyboard... saw nothing but good reviews on that and I love the mechanical keyboard on my desktop.

I went with the configuration that my gut told me was the best option given my use case. 2nd best CPU and GPU... 7845HX and 4080 12GB. Going with the 4090 16GB forced me into the 7945HX CPU... adding $650 to the cost.

I feel like the $650 is better spent on upgrading the ram and SSDs instead... so that's the route I'm going. I'm confident the config I chose will be all I need... with a little future proofing thrown in.

Well, it sounds like your secondary craptop is going to be a lot better than my primary (and only) craptop. It would make sense though because I only use craptops for mobility. I think that the only game I have on my craptop is Armada II. :LOL:

Hahah... I'm looking forward to the portability more than anything. Being able to process video footage on the go with a little gaming thrown in.