Thomaszz

Honorable
Jul 24, 2017
Hi all,

So I just received part of my pc parts for my new PC that I am building but I still have yet to pull the trigger on which GPU I am buying. I am unsure If I should got with the XFX Speedster MRC310 RX 7900XT or with an NVIDIA 4070Ti (unsure which version). I was leaning more towards the 7900XT because of more VRAM but do not know if that is a really big deal. The 7900XT also seems to be outperforming the 4070ti in most benchmarks.

My past GPU's have all been NVIDIA (GTX 960 and 1080ti) so I have no experience with AMD GPU's whatsoever.

The build that I put together and already bought:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://nl.pcpartpicker.com/list/jyphnt

Motherboard: MSI MAG Z790 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (€328.91 @ Amazon Netherlands)
CPU: Intel Core i7-13700K 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor (€439.00 @ Amazon Netherlands)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool AK620 68.99 CFM CPU Cooler (€73.85 @ Megekko)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory (€104.85 @ Azerty)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN770 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (€107.90 @ Amazon Netherlands)
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case (€89.90 @ Amazon Netherlands)
Power Supply: Corsair RM850x (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€159.90 @ Amazon Netherlands)
Case Fan: ARCTIC P12 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fan (€8.01 @ Amazon Netherlands)
Case Fan: ARCTIC P12 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fan (€8.01 @ Amazon Netherlands)
Total: €1320.33

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for:
  • GTA
  • The Last of Us Part 1
  • God of War
  • Cyberpunk
  • Upcoming BF and COD
  • CSGO
  • Any new upcoming games that I find interesting
Monitors I am using:
  • XL2411Z
  • ASUS ROG PG258Q
For now I will play on 1080p, but I hope to play 1440p in the future with a new monitor.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
If you ask my opinion, then I will recommend getting the RX 7900 XT GPU instead. More VRAM, more future proof as well. But do NOT buy the XFX brand. Go for some other AIB.

Without ray tracing, the RX 7900 XT can outperform the RTX 4070 Ti, and sometimes by a wide margin.

But in most cases, neither card is going to give great ray-tracing performance (at least not without DLSS/FSR), and most games don't even have ray tracing as an option.

This is especially true if you're gaming at 1440p or lower. This, plus the much larger VRAM pool, gives the RX 7900 XT a clear advantage when it comes to smaller texture files used at 1440p and 1080p, and also on 4K.

But, if ray tracing/RTX specifically is your main concern, then you'll...
If you ask my opinion, then I will recommend getting the RX 7900 XT GPU instead. More VRAM, more future proof as well. But do NOT buy the XFX brand. Go for some other AIB.

Without ray tracing, the RX 7900 XT can outperform the RTX 4070 Ti, and sometimes by a wide margin.

But in most cases, neither card is going to give great ray-tracing performance (at least not without DLSS/FSR), and most games don't even have ray tracing as an option.

This is especially true if you're gaming at 1440p or lower. This, plus the much larger VRAM pool, gives the RX 7900 XT a clear advantage when it comes to smaller texture files used at 1440p and 1080p, and also on 4K.

But, if ray tracing/RTX specifically is your main concern, then you'll definitely want to go for the RTX 4070 Ti though.

Solution

Thomaszz

Honorable
Jul 24, 2017

But, if ray tracing/RTX specifically is your main concern, then you'll definitely want to go for the RTX 4070 Ti though.
Thanks for you reply.

I thought the XFX brand was the brand for AMD GPU's. Like I said I have no experience with AMD GPU's whatsoever so my findings were purely based on rumors.
What brand/version of the 7900XT should I be considering then? I do not plan on OC my GPU

Thanks for you reply.

I thought the XFX brand was the brand for AMD GPU's. Like I said I have no experience with AMD GPU's whatsoever so my findings were purely based on rumors.
What brand/version of the 7900XT should I be considering then? I do not plan on OC my GPU

For AMD GPUs always go for Sapphire, or PowerColor brands. Even MSI makes good AMD models, since I have already used one before, but those 2 AIBs mostly focus on AMD cards, rather than Nvidia.

Reactions: artk2219

Thomaszz

Honorable
Jul 24, 2017
In the aftermath of the crypto apocalypse, XFX was caught selling used / mined to death GPUs as new...so, I wouldn't trust them either.

And I concur on choosing the RX 7900 XT GPU

Any of the other big names (MSI, Zotac, Sapphire, Asus, etc are fine). Read the reviews on Newegg though and decide accordingly.
What about the ASROCK RX 7900XT Phantom? These are the resellers in my country:

Thanks for you reply.

There is no real "the brand" for any video card. I've personally owned Albatron, XFX, ASUS, Gigabyte, Sapphire, Powercolor and currently ATi.

The only one that I really didn't like was the ASUS HD 6450 because it was giving me problems and wasn't passively-cooled. I ended up exchanging it for an XFX ONE because the 5450 just worked (and still does to this day).

I did once have an XFX card give me problems (an RX 5700 XT) but XFX took very good care of me. Having said that, I can't really say that XFX is bad because I've owned more XFX cards than any other brand (which I wouldn't if they were bad). These are the XFX cards that I've owned:
  1. XFX GeForce 6200
  2. XFX Radeon HD 4870 1GB (2 cards)
  3. XFX Radeon HD 5450 ONE 1GB
  4. XFX Radeon HD 6450 ONE 1GB
  5. XFX Radeon RX 5700 XT Triple-Dissipation <- Defective
  6. XFX Radeon RX 5700 XT THICC-III <-Replacement
Out of the last thirteen cards that I've owned, six have been XFX. I hadn't seen a bad one until my RX 5700 XT Triple-Dissipation:
51uNfMBgbeL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

The Triple-Dissipation was their base 3-fan model and it gave me problems from the beginning with power-off system crashes (which told me that there was a power distribution problem). I have a feeling that it made many people (who didn't know any better) scream "Radeon Drivers!" which is why no reviewer was able to duplicate the problems that people were having.

XFX replaced that base model card with a higher-end model, a beauty RX 5700 XT THICC-III which is an absolute monster of a card:
6391343cv11d.jpg

So, it can't be said that XFX doesn't stand behind their cards.

When it comes to video cards, you gotta remember that these AIB partners are quite often manufacturers of motherboards (ASRock, ASUS, Gigabyte, Biostar, Sapphire, Powercolor, MSi, EVGA and XFX have all made motherboards at one time or another) and have tremendous experience making boards of all kinds. Some people have had bad experiences with one brand or another but I used to work at Tiger Direct and I had heard people saying "Don't buy ASRock, don't buy MSi, don't buy Gigabyte, don't buy ECS" and on and on.

Most people, when they have one bad experience with a card, for some reason, automatically (and illogically) assume that every card made by that brand is garbage (which is, of course, impossible because the company would've died long ago). Personally, I refuse to buy anything from MSi but that's because their customer service treated me terribly when my flagship-tier K9A2 Platinum motherboard failed, but I won't say that their products are terrible because they're still around.

Many years from now, when I'm ready to upgrade my beloved RX 6800 XT, if XFX has the best price on the GPU that I want, I'll have another XFX. I'll be honest though, I kinda want to try an ASRock card. Not because I think that ASRock is better than anyone else, but because I've never owned one and I enjoy trying new things.

People's perceptions of brands make me laugh sometimes because look at how many people "only buy ASUS" motherboards and look at the problems that those narrow-minded fools are now having. I've personally never owned an ASUS board because I don't believe in paying an extra $50-$100 just to have those 4 letters on my motherboard and I've never "suffered" from not buying ASUS.

With the exception of the MSi board (for which I would've readily forgiven MSi if they didn't act like pricks), every motherboard that I've ever owned just worked. I've owned ASRock, Gigabyte, Biostar, ECS/Elitegroup and MSi. The MSi board worked just great (until it didn't) and I was away at uni when it happened so I was forced to buy the cheapest AM2+ board I could get at the time, an ECS/Elitegroup I780M-A2. That board still works to this day, thirteen years later.

Because of my experiences, my take on it has always been "Don't worry about what brand a card is. just get whatever you like and/or whatever gives you the best price." because they're all more or less the same. Well, unless you buy some insanely overpriced water-cooled model. If you like the look of the XFX, the price of the XFX and the availability of the XFX, then go ahead, get the XFX.

In the aftermath of the crypto apocalypse, XFX was caught selling used / mined to death GPUs as new...so, I wouldn't trust them either.
Well damn, I hadn't heard of this until now. I've tried to find it but all I could find was XFX under-declaring the value of some video cards that were headed into China.

PEnns, I've known you long enough to know that you don't make things up and I really do want to read about it. I did a Google Search for "XFX selling used miner GPUs as new" but found nothing.

To add to that, don't forget about MSi literally scalping their own cards on eBay:
MSi Subsidiary Caught Scalping RTX 3080, 3090 Cards on eBay

This is what corporations do. Ain't Capitalism grand? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: PEnns and artk2219
I had an XFX for nine years. It was excellent. I'd have happily bought another, if the price etc. was right.

Well damn, I hadn't heard of this until now. I've tried to find it but all I could find was XFX under-declaring the value of some video cards that were headed into China.
Yeah, that's all it is. It's an ill-formed rumour that some people chose to recount as fact, and other people read that and recount it as fact, and so on. A bit like when people make up stuff on Wikipedia, websites recount the false facts and end up becoming references.

Every English-speaking website I can find references the same Chinese page, and couches the claim that XFX were selling ex-miner cards as new with "allegedly", "accused of" and variations of "somebody else is claiming, but not us".

Go to the Chinese page and using Google Translate, the main allegation related to the seizeure is that XFX sold cards directly to miners, not to retailers.

There's one line not even related to the seizure that says "Recently, the prices of graphics cards have been falling, but some people question that many of them may be sold as new cards after refurbishment, which is why they are so cheap."

So a Chinese website mentions a "some people say" rumour, that Western sites repeat as "it is alleged", that less suable people repeat on internet forums as "XFX did this, do NOT buy their cards".

PEnns

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020

PEnns, I've known you long enough to know that you don't make things up and I really do want to read about it. All I could find from a Google Search for "XFX selling used miner GPUs as new" but found nothing.

To add to that, don't forget about MSi literally scalping their own cards on eBay:
MSi Subsidiary Caught Scalping RTX 3080, 3090 Cards on eBay

This is what corporations do. Ain't Capitalism grand? :rolleyes:

Many people bought the XFX GPUs on Amazon, and I read quite a few reviews about their experience.

XFX GPUs that were visibly used (quite dusty, for example) or died within a very short period of time.

I believe I read something similar on BestBuy, but not to the extent as on Amazon.

PS: Don't expect to find bad info on the latest GPUs, we're talking about cards from 2 years ago. The fact that it happened, left a bad taste.

Many people bought the XFX GPUs on Amazon, and I read quite a few reviews about their experience.

XFX GPUs that were visibly used (quite dusty, for example) or died within a very short period of time.

I believe I read something similar on BestBuy, but not to the extent as on Amazon.

PS: Don't expect to find bad info on the latest GPUs, we're talking about cards from 2 years ago. The fact that it happened, left a bad taste.
Huh, that's just plain weird. Was it actually XFX that was selling them or was it some crooked Amazon seller that just happened to be selling XFX cards? It just seems to be a bit out-of-character for the XFX that I've dealt with for years and they have no control over who sells their stuff after the cards have been shipped.

I only ask because I can't find an "XFX Store" on Amazon. I did find some issues with the RX 5700 XT but they were almost all driver-related. I did find one reviewer named "RIP Tupapa" that suspects their card was used but I can't see just who they bought it from.

artk2219

Distinguished
Thx. It was recommended to me to buy the Ryzen 7 7800X3D instead of an I7-13700k to match the AMD GPU.

https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/1899396/amd-ryzen-7-7800x3d-boxed.html

You definitely don't have to match up AMD CPU's and GPU's, but the 7800X3D is the better gaming CPU, seems like its only 30 euro's more as well.

Reactions: Avro Arrow

Thomaszz

Honorable
Jul 24, 2017
You definitely don't have to match up AMD CPU's and GPU's, but the 7800X3D is the better gaming CPU, seems like its only 30 euro's more as well.

I bought the i7-13700k not really putting in much research into the 7800X3D. I can still return my CPU, RAM and MOBO because I have not opened it yet and buy the 7800X3D. But is it really worth it

artk2219

Distinguished
I bought the i7-13700k not really putting in much research into the 7800X3D. I can still return my CPU, RAM and MOBO because I have not opened it yet and buy the 7800X3D. But is it really worth it
Its around 12 - 15% faster in games but if you've already bought everything, eh. Its up to you, I know returning stuff can be a pain. AM5 is set to be supported until 2026 or so though, so you would have a CPU upgrade path in the future if you wanted it. But if you arent the type that upgrades just a CPU while keeping the rest of the components, or if you hate dealing with returns, than I'd just keep what you have.

Reactions: Avro Arrow
Its around 12 - 15% faster in games but if you've already bought everything, eh. Its up to you, I know returning stuff can be a pain. AM5 is set to be supported until 2026 or so though, so you would have a CPU upgrade path in the future if you wanted it. But if you arent the type that upgrades just a CPU while keeping the rest of the components, or if you hate dealing with returns, than I'd just keep what you have.
I wouldn't keep it because the difference in power draw and heat generation is just huge. The Ryzen CPUs are way more efficient than the 13th-gen Core CPUs. I actually feel sorry for the people who bought those oven burners.

Last edited:

Thomaszz

Honorable
Jul 24, 2017
I mean there is no issue with returning my items whatsover. I received them like 2 days ago and everything is still unopened. I did notice that the 7800X3D performs relatively bad in "productivity" compared to Intel. With productivity do they mean adobe photoshop and what not. How much will I notice of this decreased performance in productivity when just browsing Twitch and Youtube while gaming?

Also to add on this what about the issues with the 7800X3D and the MOBO. Has that been fixed yet?

Last edited:
I mean there is no issue with returning my items whatsover. I received them like 2 days ago and everything is still unopened. I did notice that the 7800X3D performs relatively bad in "productivity" compared to Intel. With productivity do they mean adobe photoshop and what not. How much will I notice of this decreased performance in productivity when just browsing Twitch and Youtube while gaming?
The R7-7800X3D is relatively bad in some productivity metrics but the key word here is relatively. It will still beat every other CPU that you've ever used in ALL productivity applications. As for Photoshop... you're joking, right? That's like asking if it's going to manage 60+FPS in CS:GO. :ROFLMAO:

Regardless of which is "faster in photoshop", you'll be splitting hairs.

As for browsing Twitch and YouTube while gaming, if you didn't notice it before, how would upgrading your CPU suddenly make things worse? I was able to do things like that with my R5-3600X without noticing. I'm not sure you realise that you're going to get better performance in all metrics than you've ever had before.
Also to add on this what about the issues with the 7800X3D and the MOBO. Has that been fixed yet?
IIRC, that was only on ASUS boards so get an ASRock or Gigabyte instead.

Here are the biggest reasons to return the i9-13700K and get the R7-7800X3D instead:

Gaming performance:
relative-performance-games-1280-720.png

It's not a lot but 10% is still 10%, especially when considering the following:

Power Consumption (Holy Wattage-Waste, Batman!):
power-multithread.png

Let's see... 77W vs. 252W... So, you could literally run THREE R7-7800X3Ds in Blender and STILL use 21 fewer watts than a SINGLE i7-13700K. This alone should make you want to return it.

Thermals:
cpu-temperature-blender.png

The i7-13700K is "only" 21°C hotter... that's not much, eh? Oh wait, HELL YEAH IT IS!!!

What on Earth possessed you to just go and buy an i7-13700K? Like, you heard of one bad thing that happened with ASUS motherboards but were completely unaware of how horribly inefficient the Intel CPUs are?

I just hope that I helped you dodge that bullet because AIO coolers are very expensive.

Last edited:

Thomaszz

Honorable
Jul 24, 2017
The R7-7800X3D is relatively bad in some productivity metrics but the key word here is relatively. It will still beat every other CPU that you've ever used in ALL productivity applications. As for Photoshop... you're joking, right? That's like asking if it's going to manage 60+FPS in CS:GO. :ROFLMAO:

Regardless of which is "faster in photoshop", you'll be splitting hairs.

As for browsing Twitch and YouTube while gaming, if you didn't notice it before, how would upgrading your CPU suddenly make things worse? I was able to do things like that with my R5-3600X without noticing. I'm not sure you realise that you're going to get better performance in all metrics than you've ever had before.

IIRC, that was only on ASUS boards so get an ASRock or Gigabyte instead.

Here are the biggest reasons to return the i9-13700K and get the R7-7800X3D instead:

Gaming performance:
relative-performance-games-1280-720.png

It's not a lot but 10% is still 10%, especially when considering the following:

Power Consumption (Holy Wattage-Waste, Batman!):
power-multithread.png

Let's see... 77W vs. 252W... So, you could literally run THREE R7-7800X3Ds in Blender and STILL use 21 fewer watts than a SINGLE i7-13700K. This alone should make you want to return it.

Thermals:
cpu-temperature-blender.png

The i7-13700K is "only" 21°C hotter... that's not much, eh? Oh wait, HELL YEAH IT IS!!!

What on Earth possessed you to just go and buy an i7-13700K? Like, you heard of one bad thing that happened with ASUS motherboards but were completely unaware of how horribly inefficient the Intel CPUs are?

I just hope that I helped you dodge that bullet because AIO coolers are very expensive.
Thank you for the detailed reply. Seems like returning the 13700k might be worth it haha. What MOBO and RAM sticks would I pair with the 7800X3D?

EDIT: is the 7800X3D "worth" the +- 100 extra euros I would have to invest. CPU is around 30 euros more expensive, good ram sticks about 70 euros.

Last edited: