Question 4070ti not working as expected

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Slusher

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
I went from a MSI Ventus 2080 super to a ASUS TUF 4070ti. Oddly though, I noticed that after testing some games with similar settings, my performance is either the same or worse with the 4070ti. I pull up task manager or gpu tweak III, and it looks like my GPU is barely even being utilized and the fans aren't even spinning. Playing games like witcher 3 and cyberpunk, getting a lot lower frames than anticipated. Is this an installation issue or a BIOS/driver issue? I see my graphics card in device manager and gpu tweak, so I know it is there.
Rest of my specs
850w PSU
i7-10700k
24gb ddr4 ram
ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING motherboard

Some advice would be very appreciated.

Thanks

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
As @Roland Of Gilead said, fps is a cpu limitation. The cpu takes all the game coded instructions, Ai, assigns spacial dimensions, places every object, background etc essentially every bit of info that must go into the makeup of a frame. The amount of times that's done in 1 second is maximum fps.

That data packet gets sent to the gpu which makes a wire frame, adds all the colors etc then renders according to resolution. The amount of times that gets done in a second is the actual fps you see on screen.

Some games the gpu is strong enough to put all fps up, like CSGO at 1080p, some games it isn't, like Harry Potter at 4k.

Cpu is fps limits, gpu is eye-candy limits. So to raise fps limits requires lowering cpu bound settings like viewing distance, limits on physX and particals, AA, etc. Then figure out if graphical settings are affecting overall fps output to the screen.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

Slusher

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
As @Roland Of Gilead said, fps is a cpu limitation. The cpu takes all the game coded instructions, Ai, assigns spacial dimensions, places every object, background etc essentially every bit of info that must go into the makeup of a frame. The amount of times that's done in 1 second is maximum fps.

That data packet gets sent to the gpu which makes a wire frame, adds all the colors etc then renders according to resolution. The amount of times that gets done in a second is the actual fps you see on screen.

Some games the gpu is strong enough to put all fps up, like CSGO at 1080p, some games it isn't, like Harry Potter at 4k.

Cpu is fps limits, gpu is eye-candy limits. So to raise fps limits requires lowering cpu bound settings like viewing distance, limits on physX and particals, AA, etc. Then figure out if graphical settings are affecting overall fps output to the screen.
I gotcha, thanks for the detailed explanation. Makes it easier to comprehend the actual reason for upgrading things, lol. Since he’s mentioned that I’ve been scrolling for some good CPU’s. Internet recommends for the 4070ti intel-wise something like the i7-12700k/13700k. Worth budgeting for the latter? Looks like with the motherboards I’d have to get for those it’d work with my DDR4 which is nice. Have no real budget just trying not to spend so much at once, making a list for later. Appreciate your explanation though!