Question 4090 out of video memory trying to allocate a rendering resource.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 25, 2023
MY Specs
MB: MSI z690 unify
CPU: Intel i9-13900KF
GPU: MSI 4090 Trio
SSD: Corsair M.2 SSD 1tb
RAM: Corsair DDR5 32GB

Issues
Games will not launch, like Atomic heart, apex, overwatch 2, rust, battlefield 2042, And gives me an error
Some Games lunch but after playing a bit will close, like valorant, League of legends
It will blue screen when I try and do a full disk virus scan
Chrome tabs sometimes gives me an error and says to reload the page
During installation of windows 11 it will say error OOBE…. And I have to restart the whole installation again
Will blue screen at random times not very often but does happen
When I try to full reset my PC it will blue screen
PC runs most of the time normal doing non gaming things

Troubleshooting I have done
- Reinstalled Windows around 8 times
- Reinstalled Nvidia drivers
- Wiped my PC and started from scratch multiple times
- Change power plan settings
- Edit things in Nvidia control panel like
- Reset my CMOS battery
- Scanned my SSD using command prompt
- I sort of rebuilt my pc
- Updated all my drivers
- Updates my Bios v to the newest they have

I have talked with nvidia and msi on the phone and the troubleshooting they told me to do did not fix it. Please help if anybody has ideas to fix my issues.

Apr 14, 2023
I've used OCCT, XTU, and Furmark. The gpu, ram, vram, etc all perform perfectly without errors. However, whenever I tried to run a CPU stress test on XTU or OCCT, my computer immediately bluescreened, presenting on of the following errors: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION, Kmode Exception Not Handled, IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL. Incase it matters, I was able to do the OCCT Linpack test unproblematically.

zx128k

Reputable
IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL is normally vcore. I would guess bios is at stock/default. This could be a cpu/ram or MB issue. Normally I would swap the components to see if the issue goes away. Prime95 small ffts would be the test I would run is see if cores are okay. Large ffts for the RAM side. Make sure temps are okay and voltages. Both CPU and VRMs. Use HWiNFO64 for example. If you fail prime 95 small fft's with bios at stock. Then I would RMA cpu. Without other components, you cant swap things out to test.

I would reseat the cpu and check the pins on the motherboard and see if they are all okay. If you are 99% sure its the cpu, you will be RMA'ing it anyway. So you will have to take it out to do that. Sometimes uneven pressure can affect the cpu contact.

If you think you have a bent cpu pin. Then post a picture, don't try to bend back. Small pins can be a pain and break very easly.

If no bent pins then reseat the cpu and reinstall the heatsink/cooling correctly. Check there is enough thermal paste. Make sure you get even pressure on each side. Then retest.

Really if its a new system and you bought it as new with every installed by the system builder. Just send it all back. If you set it up yourself and installed the components yourself. Reseat the cpu, set bios to defaults and retest. Just check everything, including power cables. Try to find issue.

Have only the minimum hardware installed to boot the system.

If you are 99% sure its the cpu, then RMA it. If you don't want to try troubleshooting further thats fine.

Apr 14, 2023
This system is 4 months old, and I started seeing these issues ~1 month ago, so I can't RMA the CPU. When the issues began, I swapped out the MB and Ram, but they continued. All signs show CPU hardware failure, do you agree?
- Voltages are ok
- Some very temporary thermal throttling on the CPU when stressing to 100% on XTU
- I just ran Prime 95 on Small and Smallest FFTS, both which resulted in an instant system shutdown. There wasn't even a bluescreen, everything just turned off and restarted.
- Same issues with RAM in a1, b1 and a2, b2
- CPU seating is fine
- Bios is stock
- No bent pins
- AIO and thermal paste is good

Is it possible that my CPU is causing my Out of Video Memory errors and crashes?

zx128k

Reputable
CPU is covered by warrenty. Most Intel® Boxed Processors and their thermal solution are eligible for a three-year limited warranty. If the cpu cant pass prime95 small or smallest ffts at stock settings. Its not working correctly.

You can 100% RMA the cpu. You swapped the motherboard and RAM. Really smallest/small ffts run from the cpu's cache and not the ram. I pass them even if the ram is unstable. I have passed small/smallest ffts and failed large within one hour.

If you get a reset right away from small/smallest ffts at stock BIOS settings. Then that cpu is degraded from a bad overclock or never worked correctly. If it never worked right, then its a manufacturing defect. Many laws would cover its replacement.

Like for a bad overclock you have to have some really high voltages to degrade and poor cooling. If I had a cpu that failed prime 95 small/smallest ffts I would sent it back. There is no way a normal customer has all the different components to test.

Unstable in prime95, you will get random crashes and BSOD. The PC would never work right. Also it would be different error messages caused by corruption of data or memory which you are getting. You would end up chasing problems and issues until you replace the faulty component.

The only other thing that can cause resets is a bad PSU or you dont have all the power connectors connected to the motherboard. What is the chances of two motherboards having poor/bad power delivery.

All RAM should run at jedec speeds with no issues. So DDR5-4800 should be fine. You can try DDR5-4000 but I don't think it will matter. So long as the RAM is in the motherboard QVL you should expect no issues.

Apr 14, 2023
Thank you, I'll be trying out the new CPU tonight. But what out my out of video memory errors? Is it possible that they're caused by the CPU, or should I be looking into GPU issues? Secondly, the new CPU I am testing is an I9-13900k (mine is an I9-13900kf). Will I have to do any driver updates for it to function properly?

zx128k

Reputable
Thank you, I'll be trying out the new CPU tonight. But what out my out of video memory errors? Is it possible that they're caused by the CPU, or should I be looking into GPU issues?
As a gamer, the cpu affect what you run. This will mostly be the gpu driver. The whole system wont work right unless its stable. Given you have a 1200W platinum PSU, everything should be stable with the 4090 and 13k cpu.

I would test the PSU with a PSU tester before I installed it but not everyone has one. The failure in prime95 gives us a direction at least. You can always take the PC to a repair shop, they have parts to swap out and test. Could be cheaper that running out and getting replacement parts. You have replaced the RAM, motherboard and now the CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.