Question 4090 out of video memory trying to allocate a rendering resource.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 25, 2023
MY Specs
MB: MSI z690 unify
CPU: Intel i9-13900KF
GPU: MSI 4090 Trio
SSD: Corsair M.2 SSD 1tb
RAM: Corsair DDR5 32GB

Issues
Games will not launch, like Atomic heart, apex, overwatch 2, rust, battlefield 2042, And gives me an error
Some Games lunch but after playing a bit will close, like valorant, League of legends
It will blue screen when I try and do a full disk virus scan
Chrome tabs sometimes gives me an error and says to reload the page
During installation of windows 11 it will say error OOBE…. And I have to restart the whole installation again
Will blue screen at random times not very often but does happen
When I try to full reset my PC it will blue screen
PC runs most of the time normal doing non gaming things

Troubleshooting I have done
- Reinstalled Windows around 8 times
- Reinstalled Nvidia drivers
- Wiped my PC and started from scratch multiple times
- Change power plan settings
- Edit things in Nvidia control panel like
- Reset my CMOS battery
- Scanned my SSD using command prompt
- I sort of rebuilt my pc
- Updated all my drivers
- Updates my Bios v to the newest they have

I have talked with nvidia and msi on the phone and the troubleshooting they told me to do did not fix it. Please help if anybody has ideas to fix my issues.

I'm guessing that there must be something wrong with the card itself. How does a card with a 24GB VRAM buffer run out of VRAM? My RX 6800 XT has 16GB and is incapable of running out of VRAM.

I think that you should RMA your card because... Overwatch 2 is so well-optimised that it can run on an RX 6400 so how is it possible for an RTX 4090 to have problems with it?

You have done more than your due diligence with regard to the steps that you've already taken. Based on your efforts, it's clear that this is not a software issue and so it must be hardware-based. Your card is defective, it has to be because it's clear that you know what you're doing.

Reactions: Why_Me
Feb 25, 2023
I'm guessing that there must be something wrong with the card itself. How does a card with a 24GB VRAM buffer run out of VRAM? My RX 6800 XT has 16GB and is incapable of running out of VRAM.

I think that you should RMA your card because... Overwatch 2 is so well-optimised that it can run on an RX 6400 so how is it possible for an RTX 4090 to have problems with it?

You have done more than your due diligence with regard to the steps that you've already taken. Based on your efforts, it's clear that this is not a software issue and so it must be hardware-based. Your card is defective, it has to be because it's clear that you know what you're doing.
I forgot to say it gives me an error saying out of video memory trying to allocate a rendering resource.

Reactions: Avro Arrow
Feb 25, 2023
I forgot to say it gives me an error saying out of video memory trying to allocate a rendering resource.

I would think that too. i totally forgot to say i put my 2080ti in and same issue

Reactions: Avro Arrow
reset your pagefile

that is disable it, reboot, manualy delete it, then enable it
https://docs.us.sios.com/dkse/8.6.4...ically-manage-paging-file-size-for-all-drives
here guide, disabling it means no paging file on any drive
after reboot you can delete it manualy, c:\pagefile.sys if if was set on C drive
then enable it back

but before you start doing it, disable fast startup first

you should also run memtest and those cmd commands aswell
chkdsk c: /f
sfc /scannow
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth

if you get errors in memtest, disable XMP or reduce ram frequency and retest in memtest untill 0 errors

Feb 25, 2023
reset your pagefile

https://docs.us.sios.com/dkse/8.6.4...ically-manage-paging-file-size-for-all-drives
after reboot you can delete it manualy, c:\pagefile.sys if if was set on C drive
then enable it back

sfc /scannow

if you get errors in memtest, disable XMP or reduce ram frequency and retest in memtest untill 0 errors
dd
reset your pagefile

then enable it back

sfc /scannow

I done that same issue

Apr 14, 2023
I am having the exact same issues with the same graphics card (RTX MSI GAMING TRIO 4090). I swapped out the MB and Ram, same issues. I later swapped out the card for a known to work 2080ti, and the issues were still present. In almost every game I try to play, it crashes and I get an error along the lines of: "GPU unable to allocate sufficient memory" or "EXCEPTION ACCESS VIOLATION." I adjusted my page file, reset windows, reinstalled drivers, and tried almost everything else with no resolution. Memtest and command prompt commands detect no corruption or errors. This issue hasn't been present until fairly recently, so I doubt it's any hardware damage.

Symptoms include:
Google crashing with the error "STATUS ACCESS VIOLATION"
Frequent bluescreens with the error "system service exception: win32kbase.sys"
Constant application crashing
Occasional visual artifacts

Specs:
Z790 AORUS ELITE AX
MSI GAMING TRIO RTX 4090 (24gb vRam)
32gb of 7600mhz DDR5
13th gen I9-13900KF
Windows 10 Pro
1200W platinum PSU
No OC

Apr 14, 2023
System file corruption is the most likely cause. File corruption can be caused by an unstable system. Check hardware and drivers. Repair windows files.
I just updated Bios to the newest version FDa 1.1 and reset windows once again, same problems. Is there a way I can check for corrupted files and drivers other than: sfc/scannow, chkdsk, dism, or memtest? Because those are the only methods I am aware of.

Apr 14, 2023
Those are the programs. Have you tried a stress test for the cpu and RAM. Also test the gpu. Remember anything can cause it, including network cards etc.

Have you checked the voltages, temps etc for your hardware? Try updating your drivers for all your hardware.
Stress tests revealed nothing problematic and all of my drivers are up to date. Upon further testing the Bios update seemed to have partially helped. I no longer have crashing or bluescreening, but still am unable to launch certain games. These games include: BF 2042, Fortnite, Apex Legends, Rust, Rainbow Six Siege, etc. I launch them fine, but whenever they begin loading into the actual game, they crash. Errors I receive include: "Out of memory trying to allocate a rendering recourse" and "EXCEPTION MEMORY STATUS."

Incase it matters, I found another very helpful discussion:

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2023
That video is for optimizing UE4 and 5 projects, not for games that use Unreal engine, and it's outdated. However I did install UE5 and while trying to open it, received the error mentioned in the video. During the crash, my gpu usage would suddenly spike from ~6% to 100% for a couple of seconds. I am also crashing in non Unreal Engine games like Apex Legends, for example.

Apr 14, 2023
I decided to stress test again with INTEL XTU, I was just using user benchmark before, and am now seeing major problems. I tried running the CPU stress test a couple times and I bluescreened every single time, either receiving the error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION, Kmode Exception Not Handled, or IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL. And during the stress tests, my CPU usage was at 100% for a couple seconds, then immediately sunk down to 1% before bluescreening. Upon doing a memory stress test, I immediately got the bluescreen MEMORY MANAGEMENT.

Last edited:

zx128k

Reputable
They are all unstable system bsod. IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL is likely the graphics driver. Its also likely too little vore if overclocking. It can all be caused by a corrupted driver or a hardware issue. Given this is games I would start with reinstalling the driver, after DDU cleaning it and then verify the game files.

Intel XTU won't find if the system is unstable sometimes.

A SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION error happens for a few reasons:
  • Graphic user interface errors
  • Corrupted system files
  • Issues with outdated or corrupt drivers

The IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error can be caused by any of the following, among others:
  • Faulty or incompatible PC components such as video card, onboard motherboard components, NVMe SSDs, USB controller, network card, and others
  • Faulty or incompatible external PC hardware such as mouse, keyboard, USB speakers, external drive, VGA/HDMI/network dongles, USB adapters, or similar
  • Corrupt system files
  • Incompatible device drivers
  • Incorrect software installation
  • An downgrade to a lower version of Windows, e.g. downgrading Windows 7 to Windows Vista
MEMORY MANAGEMENT is usually caused by memory failure and driver issue, and software conflicts.

I would guess your DDR5 RAM is at 7600mhz and this could be the issue. Try setting to DDR5 6000 or below and see if the problems go away.

People with a lot of overlocking skills find it hard to get DDR5 stable at higher frequencies and tighter timings.

If your RAM is booting at DDR5-7600 that could be an issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maximilian Ising
Apr 14, 2023
They are all unstable system bsod. IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL is likely the graphics driver. Its also likely too little vore if overclocking. It can all be caused by a corrupted driver or a hardware issue. Given this is games I would start with reinstalling the driver, after DDU cleaning it and then verify the game files.

Intel XTU won't find if the system is unstable sometimes.

A SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION error happens for a few reasons:
  • Graphic user interface errors
  • Corrupted system files
  • Issues with outdated or corrupt drivers

The IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error can be caused by any of the following, among others:
  • Faulty or incompatible PC components such as video card, onboard motherboard components, NVMe SSDs, USB controller, network card, and others
  • Faulty or incompatible external PC hardware such as mouse, keyboard, USB speakers, external drive, VGA/HDMI/network dongles, USB adapters, or similar
  • Corrupt system files
  • Incompatible device drivers
  • Incorrect software installation
  • An downgrade to a lower version of Windows, e.g. downgrading Windows 7 to Windows Vista
MEMORY MANAGEMENT is usually caused by memory failure and driver issue, and software conflicts.

I would guess your DDR5 RAM is at 7600mhz and this could be the issue. Try setting to DDR5 6000 or below and see if the problems go away.

People with a lot of overlocking skills find it hard to get DDR5 stable at higher frequencies and tighter timings.

If your RAM is booting at DDR5-7600 that could be an issue.
Thanks for the help,
I'm 99% sure it's CPU. I installed more software to stress test, all which say that the GPU and VRAM are perfectly fine and perform at or far above expectations. Aswell, none of the commands or Memtest indicated any errors or issues. The only thing failing was the CPU. Is it possible that this is a BIOS or some sort of CPU software issue, or is it fair to just jump to the conclusion that this is hardware?

Test Results:
GPU: Good
VRam: Good
Ram: Good at @4800mhz, Failure @7600mhz (Thanks for the advice on this one)
CPU: Hard Failure/ Bluescreen

PS:
I bought another i9-13900KF that will arrive in the next couple of days. I'm gonna swap it out and see if it's the issue, if not, I'll return it.

Last edited:

zx128k

Reputable
CPU and RAM are good targets for a problem. If you installed the cpu yourself. Then I would take it out and check the pins on the motherboard. Then reseat the cpu and make sure presure is correct on each corner on the heatsink.

Do the simple stuff first like set bios to default. Check temps, voltages and settings. Check the RAM is in the correct slot. Does issue go away in another slot? Check all power cables are connected to the motherboard, etc. Look for any issues. I always check for simple hardware issues on a new install. Something I did wrong with installing the hardare.

You are so luckly you were able to update the bios without issues.

First before you do anything, what tests are you failing? What is the output?

Status
Not open for further replies.