Sep 15, 2020
Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a Ryzen 7 3700x CPU to replace my Ryzen 5 2600. After installing the new CPU, the PC gets stuck in POST for +40min (though there's no pattern, once it's 10min, another time 1 hour). After it boots to Windows and I authenticate, there are no issues whatsoever and everything runs properly. CPU-z also recognizes all of the components.

Specs:
Mobo Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro
RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 16GB 3200MHz
SSD Crucial 500 GB
Sapphire Radeon RX5700 XT Nitro+
PSU Thermaltake 650W

My mobo was running F2 BIOS so I updated it all the way up to F51 following the instructions in the Gigabyte support page before installing the new CPU and the mobo chipset driver should also be updated to the latest version.

I just installed my old CPU back and the PC booted quickly, as usual.
I tried re-installing the new CPU but the issue is ongoing.
I tried different RAM sockets, nothing.

I also just noticed that the BIOS has reset itself to default values, meaning it's on F2 version again.

Any clue what could be the issue?

Thank you

Last edited:
Solution
that sounds like Gigabyte's dual BIOS doing it's thing. Even if you did install the correct BIOS for a 3000 CPU it might fault over to the backup for some strange reason, which probably doesn't support ryzen 3000. How to update the backup BIOS on switch-less boards is a mystery.

After updating BIOS did you reset CMOS? And after installing the new CPU did you reset CMOS AGAIN? that's very important. Reset it with power off, pull batter, short pins for several minutes then reassemble.

Thank you for the response!
I managed to resolve the issue by repeating the BIOS update process from F2 to F40. I stopped at F40 and tried it out and it's eventually working fine. Now I'm kinda "scared" to proceed with the further updates to F51...
I also just noticed that the BIOS has reset itself to default values, meaning it's on F2 version again.
that sounds like Gigabyte's dual BIOS doing it's thing. Even if you did install the correct BIOS for a 3000 CPU it might fault over to the backup for some strange reason, which probably doesn't support ryzen 3000. How to update the backup BIOS on switch-less boards is a mystery.

After updating BIOS did you reset CMOS? And after installing the new CPU did you reset CMOS AGAIN? that's very important. Reset it with power off, pull batter, short pins for several minutes then reassemble.

Reactions: Spiriluli
Sep 15, 2020

Thank you for the response!
I managed to resolve the issue by repeating the BIOS update process from F2 to F40. I stopped at F40 and tried it out and it's eventually working fine. Now I'm kinda "scared" to proceed with the further updates to F51 because I don't know whether the issue was due to the newer BIOS versions or because I had done something incorrectly the 1st time.

What I feel like mentioning, just in case this whole thing might turn useful to others, is that before repeating the BIOS update process, I ran dxdiag and saw BIOS version at F2 (it's there that I realized it had reverted back to F2) so I prepared the 1st BIOS update and when I went to install it, it was displaying "Current BIOS version: F51") , which got me confused considering that I'm not a tech geek and I've just been using forums and/or tutorials.

For what's worth, I did reset CMOS but only after installing the new CPU and the issue manifested.

Thank you again

Solution