4266mhz DRAM operating at 2133mhz

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cardey88

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2013
Hi, I've just finished making a new PC build after changing the motherboard, CPU, PSU, and DRAM.
The CPU I'm using is the CORE I7-7820X 3.6GHZ and the motherboard the ASUS TUF X299 mark 1 and the DRAM I'm trying to use is G Skill trident 4266mhz but it only seems to want to operate at 2133mhz. There are options to go up to 4600mhz in the bios, which makes me think it supports up to that but I may be wrong, I know my CPU supports more than needed. I've updated the BIOS to the latest version and tried the X.M.P profile, which seems to try to boost it to it's max speed in the BIOS but I'm met with a black screen and no signal as soon as I reset. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I'm stuck scratching my head at the moment.

Solution

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

Does it do that with any RAM settings or just the 4000mhz or 3800mhz settings you are using? If it only does that at 4000mhz then the problem is likely some kind of instability with the RAM at those speeds. I cant even list the amount of weird obscure things I have had happen from screwing around with my RAM. I had an issue where all audio would just cut out if the system is under heavy load, no warning, nothing in event viewer all audio would just stop working until I restarted. I found that was caused by me changing my CAS latency from 16 to 15, not a clue how that would cause that issue but it did. So basically you're just going to have to find a happy medium in terms of RAM settings were everything works.

cardey88

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2013

Hi I've not long since finished work and given 3800mhz a go and it seems to have stopped the problem... Bizarre.
The DRAM POST light was staying lit on the motherboard at 4000mhz but only after it was shut down. If I changed it to 4000mhz with the right timings in the BIOS and went to save and reset, the POST was fine and I was happy gaming without any problems for hours on end... RAM obviously works in mysterious ways. Thanks again.

cardey88

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2013
I seem to have been mistaken, after my PC was switched of for a while the problem persisted, I obviously didn't wait long enough although the POST isn't sticking on the DRAM light as it did at 4000mhz, the CPU flashes then DRAM flashes then it just stops no VGA or boot flash. I've reverted back to default setting in my BIOS and it seems to be OK. So I'll leave it like this until I can get my head around it. I've also noticed the SB_power light on my motherboard isn't turning on at all, I've double checked all power connections I've got a 24 pin ATX connection a 8 pin and a 4 pin, I did only have the 24 + 8 pin until I realised I could split the 8 pin in 2 4 pins on my power supply both booted up fine though... Any way I've double checked all those connections and still no SB_power light but no problems booting up bar the ones mentioned when bumping up the frequency on my RAM. Any ideas? And is it a cause for concern?

cardey88

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2013
After contacting GSKILL and trying one of their several suggested settings for 4000mhz I found myself with a POST error then a CMOS error neither of which I'd encountered previously with the timings I'd tried, I struggled for about an hour before eventually getting the BIOS back up. After that I'd had enough I wasn't prepared to try any other settings. I took a trip to overclockers and swapped it for the GSKILL 3200mhz RGB Trident Z 14-14-14-34. I turned the X.M.P profile on and no problems so far. Thanks for the advice.