Question 450 watt psu for Rx 580?

mikeespino

Prominent
Mar 15, 2018
I have a dell optiplex desktop with a core i5 2400 CPU, 8 gigs of ddr3 ram, and a HDD 250 gb. I don't have a graphics card yet, and on craigslist I saw someone selling a Rx 580 4gb readeon gpu, for 80 dollars. Which seems like a good deal, but most say it requires a 500 watt psu. My psu isn’t generic and seems high quality, it’s an Evga 450 watt bronze PSU, it’s practically new as well. I won’t be doing any overclocking, but just be playing games like, GTA 5, PUBG. But I was wondering if my psu is suitable for this?

mikeespino

Prominent
Mar 15, 2018
That is a suspicious price, half off for a quite late model card.

I think the EVGA could handle it, but it might be a rather loud experience. 95W +185W for the CPU and GPU. Roughly 300W total worst case load.
I don’t really care about the noise, as long as it works then I’ll be fine.

mikeespino

Prominent
Mar 15, 2018
I shopped around a little, looks like you can potentially get a low-ball priced RX580 for around $80, but the ones around $90-100 all seem to be used mining GPUs or refurbs on ebay. Actual retail refurbs are around $125. For the 4GB card.
By the way, the seller listed that it was not used for mining. Said he was using it for light gaming like, Skyrim.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
By the way, the seller listed that it was not used for mining. Said he was using it for light gaming like, Skyrim.
Lol, "used for light gaming", classic. I remember seeing a lot of graphics card listings with that description right after the mining bubble burst and miners started selling their cards. In reality you have no way of knowing if it was used for mining. But as long as you get it from somewhere like eBay where you have buyer protection in case they send you a faulty card it should be OK.

Mar 26, 2019
Lol, "used for light gaming", classic. I remember seeing a lot of graphics card listings with that description right after the mining bubble burst and miners started selling their cards. In reality you have no way of knowing if it was used for mining. But as long as you get it from somewhere like eBay where you have buyer protection in case they send you a faulty card it should be OK.
Yeah i agree, never trust cheap amd gpu sellers, mostly lying, my rx 470 i bough with 40 $ died in 3 week.