4790K Offset Voltage Issues

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
I'm trying to overclock my i7 4790K on a Gigabyte Z87-UD4H motherboard recently updated to the most recent BIOS version F9 and cooled by a Noctua NH-D15. I've been using the BIOS to enter settings then using Intel's Extreme Tuning Utility for stress testing. I've been able to hit 4.7 GHz @ 1.2V and have stress tested that for about an hour without any issues (I will test it more thoroughly later). My question relates to scaling back voltages when the processor is at idle. Unfortunately, my board does not support adaptive voltage so apparently I have to use the voltage offset setting in the BIOS if I want the voltage to scale back at idle. On my board there are three options for VCore: Auto, Normal, and a manual inputted voltage. If I choose Normal, I unlock the ability to use VCore Voltage Offsetting but I'm confused about what the offset should be.

TL'DR: How does voltage offsetting work?

Solution
It doesn't make sense that your board doesn't support adaptive voltage since thats what intel does as their standard.
And from what I understand, offsets can add whatever value you have given on top of your manual voltage. So if I put in 1.200 vcore with an offset of .05, under full load, it will go to 1.25. So you cannot use offsets to achieve the efficiency that Intels low power states achieve, at least to my knowledge you can't.

Try setting your vcore to 1.200 under the Normal option and then boot up your computer. Open CPUZ and leave your computer be for a few minutes (make sure it isn't doing any resource intensive backround tasks) and see if your Vcore drops to around the .75ish range.
I've got a feeling that gigabyte has...

gapittman

Reputable
May 18, 2015
It doesn't make sense that your board doesn't support adaptive voltage since thats what intel does as their standard.
And from what I understand, offsets can add whatever value you have given on top of your manual voltage. So if I put in 1.200 vcore with an offset of .05, under full load, it will go to 1.25. So you cannot use offsets to achieve the efficiency that Intels low power states achieve, at least to my knowledge you can't.

Try setting your vcore to 1.200 under the Normal option and then boot up your computer. Open CPUZ and leave your computer be for a few minutes (make sure it isn't doing any resource intensive backround tasks) and see if your Vcore drops to around the .75ish range.
I've got a feeling that gigabyte has simply changed the nomenclature for adaptive to "normal."

Solution