48** Series...Anytime Now...Who's buying?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ovaltineplease

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
If 4870 1024 mb single gpu has a performance point higher than 9800 gtx/8800 ultra/other high end single gpu cards, then I would definitely consider it

Otherwise, its a money sink that will be outdated far too rapidly.

Im looking at 10%+. Will that be enough? Who knows, but it is a DX10.1 capable part, and thats where were heading, and once its in place, as a few more titles will come out with it, well see even more performance, with a little eye candy too. If the next game comes out using DX10.1 that youll have to have, then thats just 1 more good thing about this card

husky mctarflash

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2007

+1

My evil plan is for the 4800 series to devalue the 3870/3850, so that I can snag a 3850 off of someone willing to unload it for $50 (not unreasonable since the low street price for a 3850 is $99 now). I will then Crossfire that with my 3870 out of pure gluttony since my 3870 runs every game I care about at max.

marvelous211

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006

My first PC was a 286 @ 8 mhz with a built in CGA graphics. :lol:

I'm not upgrading until games make my gpu craw.

Plyro109

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
Well, I'm looking forward to seeing the real benchmarks, as my x1900xt 256Mb is falling behind, plus it doens't even run at stock speeds anymore. :cry: Add that to the 1680x1050 monitor, and things just arn't pretty when I wanna play World in Conflict or CoD4 at native resolution. :/

stabgotham

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006
How do these German sites get it before US sites? I hope those benchmarks are true, but I just don't by the fact that this is a legitimate benchmark. I mean....show me a picture of the card...show me something that would make me believe you really have a tester.

Newsflash bud, the 300 DID rock, still to this day respected as one of the best ever.

Besides you just know Nvidia is waiting to embarrass them yet again.

Based on what?

Until either releases, I'll go on the assumption that both companies will bring something competitive but not that surprising to the table.
Even if both are the best/worst of what they say they are, neither company looks to be embarassed, as for who will wear what crown depends on too many factors to guess right now.

I would hazard a guess that the RV770Pro will beat the HD3870, and the RV770XT will beat the GF8800U as will the GT200. Beyond that, you're need something more solid than the guesses most people are putting forward (ones that don't even make sense).

Both companies have learned new ways of competing, and right now both are selling their products at a loss simply to move volume, so they'll likely both look to significant enough boosts to justify more money and re-establish a better price structure (which is in ruins right now). The question is will chip A or B be worthy of enough money to cover the cost of their high end components with complex PCBs, exotic memory types or chip sizes?

Wise way to spend ones money.
Usually do the same myself, although new things are always tempting of course. Ohh pretty that! Hey, whats that feature do? Wow, how much after MIR? Hmm, bet I could turn up a few features/resolution... :whistle:

Of course at 12x10 I thnk you'll be set well into the next gen when you can decide based on some solid longerterm use rather than the initial purchasers' speculation. [:mousemonkey]

DarthPiggie

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
Indeed thats why I never shoot for the highend. Its not good to invest so much in products that will be obsolete in just a few weeks/months. Upper Mid-range/lower Upper Range is more my plateau. So 6600GTs SLI, 7900GS/x1950Pro, 8800GT/GTS320, 9600GT are enough for most games at their respective time-periods.

spoonboy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007

Just out of interest, whats it been like living with a quad crossfire setup? did cat.8.4 make any differences youve noticed?. Cat.8.5. should be out either this week or next, in your position would be interesting to watch this setup mature over time...

cheers

spoonboy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007

For the first time im considering just going straight to the top and buying a high end card when its released. So yeah im thinking of getting a gddr5 version when they appear in the uk. To hell with the cost, ive had enough bottom-feeding trawling ebay for 2nd hand bargains, I wanna have something (genuinely) new and shiny and be able to watch it mature over like a couple of years then when its finally over the hill talk about what a great investment it was :)

Like you im on a 7 series card still, a 7900gt, and i just wanna get out of the dark ages ;)

franchise

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
If this is supposed to be their new supercard, do you think they'll make an all in wonder version of it?

I haven't owned an ATI card Since my X800XT all in wonder, what ever happened to those? AIW cards were awesome, why don't they offer them anymore, I usually live by nvidia, but I'd cross the line for a powerful AIW card, but since AMD bought them I sorta lost faith in them alltogether, their new website is horrible, for a company that makes graphics card you'd think they would do something a little more "graphical"

I'm very skeptical of this 4870 since they have had a history of dissapointment lately
2900XT, 3800 series... nvidia just seems more polished and their drivers kick butt
I always compare the two when I upgrade and every time, since the X800XT nvidia has been on top

but hey i'm running a 7900gt and until my other one (SLI) died it was more than keeping up with the new games

yadge

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007

That's pretty much how I feel.

doomsdaydave11

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
I hope that:

*The 48xx ATI series is awesome....
*Meaning it plunges the prices of NVIDIA cards....
*Because I just bought a SLI rack (MSI P6N SLI Platinum) and would like to make use of it with NVIDIA.

ovaltineplease

Distinguished
May 9, 2008

AIW were kinda nice, I think maybe they discontinued it to market the ATI TV Wonder instead because the AIW market was just fair.

But TV wonder is good http://ati.amd.com/products/atitvwonder.html

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006

I'm mildly ticked off that I bought my overclocked 3870x2 the first week of February and the 4870 will be out at the end of May. Nordic Hardware reports the 4870 will be 50% faster than the 3870, which is the speed of my card -- when Crossfire's recognized by a game.

I could have waited 4 months, but I didn't expect new ATI cards out before the holiday season.

I will replace my wife's 3850 with a 4850, but I'll wait till Deneb and a new motherboard to consider CrossfireX with a 4850 and the 3870x2 (they're both expected to be 850 megahertz clock, so they should match just fine for 3 GPU CrossfireX).

What resolution are you gaming at? I'm at 1280 x 1024 (CRT) and am a bit CPU limited. I'm moving my 4600+ to a 780G board next weekend so I can upgrade to a 95 watt 8750 and a 24" LCD in September, then I'll see if I'm still CPU limited.

What quad do you have? With two 3870x2's I'd think you'd not be CPU limited once you get to 24" resolutions, but see problems with anything below. It could also be that the CrossfireX drivers aren't mature.

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006

I miss the AIW cards too. I stuck with AGP too long and didn't get anything past the AIW 9800 Pro, but I still have that and an AIW 8500 128 in the closet just in case I set up an AGP box for anything.

I "blame" AMD for the demise of the All in Wonder cards, but it might have been ATI's decision once the 2xxx series arrived. Now, you can't find a used PCIe X1900 AIW if you try.

At any rate, the 3xxx series is not bad. Why do people diss it? ATI didn't fudge the Crysis demo's benchmarks with a driver that didn't display the water correctly. Nvidia does that kind of thing when the Next Big Game arrives. Now, both ATI and Nvidia are reported as fudging Futuremark Vantage drivers to favor a particular card in the individual benchmark that makes them look best. :non:

Anyways, I'm happy with my 3870x2, except inasmuch as I bought it 4-6 months before the 4870x2 arrives. If I'd known, I would have just gone 3870 and waited. What ever happened to roadmaps that gave you an idea what's coming out over the next year?

You are so predictable. They leapfrog. Pure and simple. ATI's had a few bad cards, but so has Nvidia. If you want to go back to a low end card like the X300, then I'll bring up the FX 5200.

I actually think you meant the 3xxx series, which isn't bad. Not at all. It solved issues with the 2xxx series and brought them closer to the dominance they had in the Radeon 9800 and the X1900 generations.

Maybe the 4xxx series will bring back that dominance. Maybe not. At any rate, Nvidia's been holding back just like Intel because they don't feel there's competition.

When games aren't the only thing that matters, ATI beats Nvidia. In games, they tie some and lose some. The win a very few. At any rate, in my favorite TWIMTBP game, LOTR Online, my performance with a 3870x2 is still good because the game treats Crossfire and SLI equally badly.

Maybe I'd be better off with an 8800gt, but not in my other games where ATI shines, and not when AVIVO matters. When will you take a balanced view of both companies?

spoonboy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007

woha there, x1800xt was slightly slower than a 7800gtx 512mb but those geforces were quite rare and so expensive as to be pointless even for a high end graphics card (they cost at the time 580 pounds in the u.k.) and the x1900xt not to mention xtx or x1950xtx were in another league altogether from the 7900gtx, maybe not soo much at launch but over time theyve aged alot better. Ive got a 2nd hand evga 7900gt but i soon wished id spent a bit more and got a x1900xt off ebay. If anything since getting interested in pcs at around the geforce 6/radeonx800 era it was nvidia who had the snazzy budget cards but couldn't compete at the very top with ati until the 8800gtx came out.

firebird

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2004
If there was a trade-up program for ATI I might consider it. I have a 3870x2 with modded cooling so unless I could sell it to a friend I can't. I would like to though...

Because if either side knows enough about their competition's hardware then they can do last minute changes to improve their own performance (at the cost of yields or cost [more expensive memory, etc]) which then hurts them. There's no benifit to either AMD or nV to let anyone know in advance of being able to buy the hardware. A few times both companies have pushed last minute BIOS changes to update clocks, etc. Memory's harder to change, but adding 50mhz to core and memory at the cost of higher failure rate may be worth it to them.

They both used to paper launch the stuff, but now with availability at launch you don't want to give anyone a peak until you are ready to sell them.