Question 4G LTE adapters

perrynick17

Commendable
BANNED
Dec 30, 2018
looking at a cell phone form a computer perspective, it is the same thing just smaller. now i can plug my sim-card into my phone and connect to the LTE network, i am sure that's because of some hardware and drivers/programming the phone uses. typical nerdy stuff i assume

now i have been looking around online for just some sim card adapter for a PC but it just seams like there just connecting the device to the LTE network then giving out the signal over WiFi. is there such hardware that would compare to the hardware in a phone in that it would do what happens in your phone just over windows.

basically what ever chip or chips allow a phone to connect to the LTE network i want on a PCI card, with windows drivers. for Christmas

kanewolf

Titan
looking at a cell phone form a computer perspective, it is the same thing just smaller. now i can plug my sim-card into my phone and connect to the LTE network, i am sure that's because of some hardware and drivers/programming the phone uses. typical nerdy stuff i assume

now i have been looking around online for just some sim card adapter for a PC but it just seams like there just connecting the device to the LTE network then giving out the signal over WiFi. is there such hardware that would compare to the hardware in a phone in that it would do what happens in your phone just over windows.

basically what ever chip or chips allow a phone to connect to the LTE network i want on a PCI card, with windows drivers. for Christmas
Asus routers support USB modems -- https://www.asus.com/event/networks_3g4g_support/
You could also look at the list your cellular provider has for WIFI modems they directly support.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you're provider will have a usb dongle for access, however it is worth noting that this will require a separate plan over your cell plan. it will be a new sim card and therefore a new cell plan for it.

as a side note, the difference is more than just a place to ut the sim card. the cell phone has the needed antenna to communicate with the cell network that your pc does not have. your cell has a wifi antenna inside it which is why it can also connect to wifi. but it does not have an ethernet card, which is why it can't connect to ethernet and so on and so on. every connection has a special chip needed to make it happen and cell service is no difference.

the usb lte adapter includes that chip and antenna needed to connect to the cell tower since your pc does not already have it.

perrynick17

Commendable
BANNED
Dec 30, 2018
i need something that will turn my pc into my cell phone, get text messages, make phone calls and access the internet. and i should be able to do that because a phone dose it

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
keep in mind your pc is not a cellphone and is not designed to do the same things. so assuming a sim card is all you need to turn a pc into a cell phone is a bit too simplistic.

the lte adapter will give you internet access but it is still not a cell phone. you'll need a messaging app of some kind andd then some sort of phone app. i don't think you get a phone number with those adapters so you'll have to ask those questions of the provider. without a phone number you'll need another service that will give you one so you can use it like a phone.
i believe that using something like skype or google voice would be the easiest way to go about it. they give you a phone number and allow you to make calls and text. but they of course cost money for their plans.

before spending any moey do your homework and ensure you understand what it will take to do what you want. otherwise you'll just end up throwing good money after bad.
win 10 has a messaging and phone app but i have never used them and do not know what exactly they do. that would be a good free place to start looking.

perrynick17

Commendable
BANNED
Dec 30, 2018
i think the question hear is, why can a phone allow for such things and a computer not able to. That's because the phone was made to do texting calling and mobile networking. now if you could extract all the components that make a cellphone a cellphone and not a small basic computer such as a raspberry pi and integrate that stuff to work with a normal laptop/desktop that would be useful