[SOLVED] 4gb and 2gb ram installed in computer but only 2gb ram detected

SuicidalDemon69

Prominent
Aug 8, 2019
Hello, I bought a new ram for my old computer. But when I put only a the 4gb ram (new) it will open a bit and automatically turn off. But if I put 2gb ram (old) it will be boot up so fine. Also, I experimented to put them together and it boots up but the problem is the bios only detect 2gb ram while in CPU-Z 6GB ram was detecting. Also, I've check my BIOS that 2.4v is the max ram voltage it could support. Here are the specs according to CPU-Z.

My motherboard:

Memory Summary:

2GB RAM Specs:

4GB RAM Specs:

Ram size detecting on my computer:

Hope you could help me.

4745454b

Titan
Your new ram is rather different. Your pc is trying to use the settings for 533mhz (1066mhz) which your new ddr3 stick doesn't even have timings for. Worse, the 2gb stick needs 1.5v while the 4gb stick needs 1.35.

You should put the 2gb stick in and go into the bios. Manually set the ram settings to something that matches both sticks. Looking at the pages you gave us that's 667mhz, 9-9-9-24-33 @ 1.5V. You might have an issue doing that with the g41 board seeing as those are super basic. You might be better off pulling the 2gb stick and using just the 4gb. Put the 4gb in and then reset the bios. See if out will work then.

SuicidalDemon69

Prominent
Aug 8, 2019
Yes, I tried it. I remove the 2gb ram and install the 4gb ram. Then, clear cmos. After that it will turn on but a few seconds will automatically turn off. I also can't match dram settings since bios doesn't detect4gb ram.

4745454b

Titan
You don't need it to. Plug the 2gb and go into the bios. Set the timings like i said and then shut down. Plug the 4gb in. It should work.

If it didn't work by itself and after a bios reset, the stock might not work at all. That is older tech. Try it in another pc. There is a chance it's dead and needs to be returned.

SuicidalDemon69

Prominent
Aug 8, 2019
You don't need it to. Plug the 2gb and go into the bios. Set the timings like i said and then shut down. Plug the 4gb in. It should work.

If it didn't work by itself and after a bios reset, the stock might not work at all. That is older tech. Try it in another pc. There is a chance it's dead and needs to be returned.

The 4GB stick is faulty. RMA it.

I tried it to my cousin desktop, it is working.

G41 chipsets motherboards use low-density memory. Most memory manufacturers have stopped making and selling that kind of memory years ago.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/8GB-2x-4GB...Non-ECC-1066-Low-Density-RAM-8G-/331724485983

I guess this is the primary reason that's why my PC don't boot up when trying to use my 4GB ram.

Seems plausible I suppose. I would've expected that for DDR2 certainly. The G41 chipset was right on the turning point for DDR3 adoption though since it was compatible with Core2 CPUs.

I guess I learned something also! Thanks Calvin.

Last edited: