4gb ddr4 ram+ 16 gb optane vs 8 gb ddr4 ram

popatim

Titan
Which Optane? The HDD cache (memory storage accelerator) or the memory dimm's,
I'm assuming, since you only have 4gtb ram, that your system is old enough to only support the cache version which this only useful in caching an HDD (as opposed to an SSD) so the answer is upgrade to 8gb real ram if you want better performance from your application/games.

Oct 6, 2018

Thank You ! The article helped much, and I definitely will go for an Optane solution of 16 GB since I have a mechanical drive wth 5400RPM speed and low DRAM (only 4gigs).

So, is the decision right ?

popatim

Titan
Depends on your use for the PC.
If you have windows 32 bit installed instead of 64 - Optane. You can't use more then 4GB in 32 bit.
Office type stuff then yes Optane.
Gaming - go for 8gb ram unless you know the games you play do not use it.

Oct 6, 2018

I have 64 bit Windows installed on my system, the ram is only 4 gb 2400mhz ddr4.
I do not play games, onl use it for study purpose and mediai consummption.
That is why my confusion between a sysyem of 8gigs of ram vs 4gigs+16gigs optane.

Oct 6, 2018

Will it increase the speed of file accessing or app launching or data read and write, to say the overall , than my present situation ?

USAFRet

Titan

The Optane will speed up access to that data which resides in that 16GB space.
Not ALL of the drive. It is simply a very fast cache. Write speeds to that drive will still happen at HDD speed. No benefit.

4GB physical RAM is, at best, marginal for a current Windows PC. 8GB or more is strongly recommended.
It will provide far more of a benefit, in that the system will not need to swap in and out of the page file so often.

Optane is misunderstood as a universal speed up thing. It is not.
It is simply a very fast cache for the HDD> Useful in some situations, but not all. And rarely if ever in the consumer space, where you and I are.

Oct 6, 2018

So, those apps that are not accessed so often and does not reside in Optane Cache will load up in the HDD speed. But, increasing RAM will do the same job for other apps, too, right? But, the amount of RAM(8 total) I am willing to purchase is lower than the amount of Optane cache(16 gb) which will be ultimately be coupled with the existing 4gigs of RAM.
Now my question is won't I benifit from this setup of 4+16 than simply 8gigs of RAM ?