4GB of PQI Turbo will not work...but...2X2 diff ram will?

anurok

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
Well here is the deal...I have 4GB total of PQI Turbo 667 DDR2 ram. Each stick is 1GB

If I put in all 4 GB of the PQI I get long drawn out beeps from the mobo. I remove one of the sticks and it boots up fine.

I then install 2 sticks of Patriot DDR2 667 dual channel 1GB sticks with the PQI stuff and it runs fine and bios recognizes all 4GB...

Why is it that the computer will not run 4GB of PQI Turbo but it will run 2GB of PQI Turbo and 2GB of the patriot and it runs fine and bios sees all 4GB of ram...

However, the PQI is PC5400 and the Patriot reads as PC5300...

Does this make a diff since both are 667mhz?

I have no idea what is going on =(

The ram they sent me works as I have swapped it out and tried it in each slot by iteself and it boots up fine but the 4GB of PQI will not =/

Please help! =(

Mondoman

Splendid
Sounds like one or more of your PQI sticks is not as good quality as the Patriot sticks. Remember that installing 4 sticks in a system (instead of 2) is much harder on the memory controller subsystem, since the signals are now split 4 ways instead of just 2 ways.
I'd put in the 2 Patriot DIMMs, then try adding 2 PQI DIMMs in all the possible ways, to figure out if at least 2 of the PQI sticks will work OK.

anurok

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
yeah the 2 PQI sticks are working with the 2 patriot sticks now...

This wont hurt the system at all will it?

I know I can sell the 2 PQI sticks I have left over so its not too bad...

anurok

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
Alright well...

I was playing WoW and my comp crashed on me twice. It had to be the addition of the ram...

So now my PC will NOT run 4GB of ram regardless of what it is and now I have 4GB of ram sitting here on my desk doing nothing...

Mondoman

Splendid
Well, first check your RAM by downloading and running memtest86+ through at least a couple of complete passes.
If you get *any* errors, something is wrong. Make sure your memory speed/timing settings are on "auto" or "SPD", and set your memory voltage in the BIOS to 1.9V. Both your brands of memory should have lifetime warranties, so if you find a problem with one or more sticks, you should be able to get it/them replaced.