[SOLVED] 4gb vs 6gb

mihalielvis79

Commendable
Apr 28, 2018
so i have 2gb ram rn and i want to get more becuase im starting to use blender and photoshop a lot more. i wont be doing any gaming even if i do not like hardcore games. should i get 4gb,6 or 8?

Solution
2gb is woefully insufficient for anything more than minimal activity.
Is your windows 32 bit or 64 bit?
32 bit will only support 4gb of ram.

Ram must be matched to insure compatibility.
If you buy more ram sticks like what you have, it will not always work.
I put your odds of success at 90%
What is your plan B if the new ram does not work with the old?

I think it is better to buy a matched kit of the size you need to insure that it works.
Then add in your old 2gb to see if it works.

Ram usually has a lifetime warranty and it rarely fails.
I would not worry about buying used if it is significantly cheaper.

Budge414

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2013
Blender and Photoshop will use a fair percentage of RAM. I'd suggest getting as much as you can afford or is compatible with your system if your current setup is the only option you have to work with.

What are the rest of the PC specs? If we're talking DDR2 or DDR3, it might be a good idea to determine if it's a worthy upgrade overall.

Last edited:

mihalielvis79

Commendable
Apr 28, 2018
Blender and Photoshop will use a fair percentage of RAM. I'd suggest getting as much as you can afford or is compatible with your system, if your current setup is the only option you have to work with.

What are the rest of the PC specs? If we're talking DDR2 or DDR3, it might be a good idea to determine if it's a worthy upgrade overall.
i have ddr3 rn i dont have much money rn

Budge414

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2013
Not a problem. DDR3 can be quite expensive if you're looking at a retailer. I recommend looking at used parts either via an app or a local second hand parts shop and find the best deal on as much RAM as you can afford. If local used parts are hard to come by, eBay or similar is a good secondary choice to look.

If you answer a couple of questions I'm happy to help you look for a deal:
  • What is your motherboard or PC model and how many available slots do you have?
  • Which country are you buying from?
  • Do you have access to local used parts? Are there restrictions on where you can or cannot buy?

mihalielvis79

Commendable
Apr 28, 2018
Not a problem. DDR3 can be quite expensive if you're looking at a retailer. I recommend looking at used parts either via an app or a local second hand parts shop and find the best deal on as much RAM as you can afford. If local used parts are hard to come by, eBay or similar is a good secondary choice to look.

If you answer a couple of questions I'm happy to help you look for a deal:
  • What is your motherboard or PC model and how many available slots do you have?
  • Which country are you buying from?
  • Do you have access to local used parts? Are there restrictions on where you can or cannot buy?
i have 4 dim slots on my motherboard. and im from albania i saw some websites for ram and there is barely any used. and i dont have a credit card to buy online unfortanently

Budge414

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2013
i have 4 dim slots on my motherboard. and im from albania i saw some websites for ram and there is barely any used. and i dont have a credit card to buy online unfortanently
Do you have access to Facebook Marketplace or an Albanian equivalent? Or something similar that allows buy-swap-sell? Local deals are usually full of people getting rid of older parts for cheap! It's a great place to look if you're on a budget.

Just for reference; an additional 6GB (3 x 2GB sticks) of USED DDR3 should cost roughly USD $20 - $25 (Around 2300 - 2600 ALL?) I think it should be less than this, but any large amount more is probably too much.

2gb is woefully insufficient for anything more than minimal activity.
Is your windows 32 bit or 64 bit?
32 bit will only support 4gb of ram.

Ram must be matched to insure compatibility.
If you buy more ram sticks like what you have, it will not always work.
I put your odds of success at 90%
What is your plan B if the new ram does not work with the old?

I think it is better to buy a matched kit of the size you need to insure that it works.
Then add in your old 2gb to see if it works.

Ram usually has a lifetime warranty and it rarely fails.
I would not worry about buying used if it is significantly cheaper.

Solution
2gb is ridiculously too low for any modern software. Even my xp machines have 4gb. This is the source of your problem.

If you bought this system new with that little ram, it probably can't handle too much more ram and another used system might be a better way to spend the money.