Not open for further replies.

tk423

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
Hardware

Display- Samsung KS8000
AV Receiver- Yamaha RX-V381
GPU- GTX 1080 TI

At 4k resolution (3840 x 2160) and 60Hz refresh rate, I am unable to change any color settings in the Nvidia Control Panel. The only options available are

Desktop color depth: Highest (32-bit)
Output color depth: 8 bpc
Output color format: YCbCr420
Output dynamic range: Limited

This prohibits being able to turn on Windows HDR. From what I've read, YCbCr420 is also limiting the color output and does not look as good as some of the other available settings.

If I set the refresh rate to 30Hz, I am able to select more color options.

Any idea why at 4k x 2k, 3840 x 2160 and 60Hz I am unable to access more color settings? Could it potentially be the HDMI cable? I think the one I'm using is relatively old, though I'm not sure.

Solution

To get 4k 60hz Chroma 4:4:4 HDR 10-Bit you need a cable capable of 22.28 Gpbs, which only DisplayPort 1.3 and 1.4 can do. HDMI 2.0 is limited to 18Gpbs

See: https://www.extron.com/product/videotools.aspx

Cioby

Distinguished
I'm surprised you can use HDMI and 60Hz actually, must be a new HDMI. Back when I first went 4K you needed Display port to run 60Hz.

Also I'm confused to where you found those settings in Nvidia Control Panel, I could only find those in the display/display adapter properties.

tk423

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012

Color options are right in the settings.
PGxpYIi.png

Cioby

Distinguished
Well I only have RGB instead of YCbCr420 and Full dynamic range. So I'm also limited to my choices. Did you try changing your color scheme through Display adapter settings? I honestly feel some images look really bad on 4K, like not having enough colors on the palette. I'm guessing that's why you wanna change your settings also

Scratch that, it depends on the monitor also. I checked the second monitor and it has RGB YCbCr422 and 444

tk423

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012

So there currently is no 3840x2160 resolution under PC, and when I try to add one I get the message

Custom resolution 3840 x 2160 at 60Hz (32-bit) already exists in PC section.

even though that resolution is not under the PC section. Any ideas?

sYiG17x.png

Ah, for some reason did not realize you were using a TV, thought you had a monitor :p

Check the TV settings, there are often one or both of these restrictions:

1. Only certain ports on the TV support 4K 60 Hz at full RGB/4:4:4 color, the other ports only support 4K 30 Hz 4:4:4 or 4K 60 Hz 4:2:0
2. Even if the TV has a port that supports 4K 60 Hz 4:4:4, it will still be restricted to only 4:2:0 until you enable a special option in the TV's menu ("UHD color" for Samsungs I think, or something like that).

TVs are stupid that way for some reason

tk423

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012

Yeah, I've got UHD Color set to on for all ports on the TV and I've tried every port on the TV, same deal across the board.

Also uninstalled GPU drivers via DDU, cleaned registry, reinstalled GPU and same deal.

Perhaps could be the HDMI cable then... It's unusual but possible. Pick up a new one, doesn't need to be expensive, just get anything with the Premium High Speed HDMI certification.

tk423

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-High-Speed-HDMI-Cable-1-Pack/dp/B01H7M6YKI/

Bought three of those just recently. Same deal.

I'm not sure then. Try using the Custom Resolution Utility: https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU

Add 3840×2160 @ 60 Hz (Timing: LCD Reduced) to the Detailed Resolutions section, hit OK and restart the computer.

therevolveruk

Prominent
Dec 11, 2017

To get 4k 60hz Chroma 4:4:4 HDR 10-Bit you need a cable capable of 22.28 Gpbs, which only DisplayPort 1.3 and 1.4 can do. HDMI 2.0 is limited to 18Gpbs

See: https://www.extron.com/product/videotools.aspx

Solution

That doesn't explain why the 4K 60 Hz 4:4:4 8 bpc option isn't available. He's limited to 4K 60 Hz at 4:2:0, which is HDMI 1.4-level bandwidth. The fact that there is no 4:4:4 selection available at all usually indicates (for Samsung TVs) that the TV is not exposing the option for 4:4:4 because the UHD color setting is off or connected to the wrong port. But that is apparently not the case this time.

old_rager

Honorable
Jan 8, 2018
From what I've read, you can't increase 'Output color depth' in the Nvidia Control Panel if your refresh rate is higher than 30Hz. When I set my refresh rate to 30Hz, I can select either '8bpc' or '12bpc'. My problem is that the is no selection for '10bpc' - which is what my new Samsung Q7F operates at... :-(

Update: Further to the above, I've found that if you change your refresh rate to 25Hz (no higher), the HDR will work in Windows 10 (which will look crap due to dimness), but 'Films & TV' will render in true HDR (at least it did for me).

Jun 20, 2018

I had my 50'' 4k tv working with rgb for over a year and now all of a sudden im stuck with the same settings as you. I'm using a Dvi to hdmi cable.. My tv has two hdmi edid modes: mode one couldn't get rgb but mode two could.... but now nothing... not sure if its a driver thing or what...

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

I had my 50'' 4k tv working with rgb for over a year and now all of a sudden im stuck with the same settings as you. I'm using a Dvi to hdmi cable.. My tv has two hdmi edid modes: mode one couldn't get rgb but mode two could.... but now nothing... not sure if its a driver thing or what...
I have the same issue. My TV is a TCL R6,GPU GTX 1060. It was working at 3840x2160 60hz with output color format set to RGB and output dynamic range full using an Nvidia driver from March. Just updated to the lastest driver now I'm stuck with YCbCr420 and limited dynamic range. I'm going nuts trying to figure it out, I'd rather not roll back the driver.

Jul 27, 2019
ah looks like i am not the only one with this headache. I recently upgraded from 1080 gtx to a 2080 ti rtx and HDR stopped working. Here is the link to what i posted on the nvidia driver forum.

So basically what i wrote there was with my 2080 ti rtx
  • TV: Enabling UHD HDMI color causes the screen to go blank on my Samsung QN65Q9F
  • PC: i see no option to select 4k 4:2:2/4:2:0 for 10bit at 60hz 4k
    • The RGB options are no longer present as Dunlop0078 mentioned above

Aug 4, 2019
Issue Fixed !!!

I checked every Nvidia driver from 419.17-431.70, all reacted the same with my setup. Read below for the fix....

I have two HDR tvs, Samsung MU6500 and TCL 42S425, both are rated for 4K@60hz and HDR. However, I couldn't get my GTX 1070 to work with HDR and was stuck at 4:2:0 on the TCL but seemed to work on the Samsung.

I swapped out the 1070 for a RX580 and everything worked right away on both the Samsung and the TCL TV. HHhmmmm.

So, I looked into settings for both TVs. The Samsung has an option to enable HDR, which is enabled. Looking at the TCL, it has an option for 1.4, 2.0 or AUTO for each HDMI input.

On AUTO, the RX580 registers just fine, The RX580 drives the TV to HDMI 2.0 and everything works. The 1070, not so. It defaults to 1.4 which limits HDR to 30Hz refresh rates. I manually set TCL HDMI inputs to 2.0 instead of AUTO, rebooted, and everything started working again.

It was confusing, because the AMD would work with no issues, Nvidia didn't, so I thought the issue was just Nvidia or Drivers. Well, it is in a way, because Nvidia can't automatically drive the TV to HDMI 2.0, the TV has to drive Nvidia to use HDMI 2.0. AMD drives the TV to HDMI 2.0.

Good luck out there and keep on HDR'ing...

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2019
HEY FRIENDS!!!!!! The solution >>> Man sorry for my english, I'm brazilian, but let's go! I bought RTX 2060 Super Gaming X (loved), and I update to the last drive 436.30, and the nightmare begin. Só I have one RX 580, and work beautifull, why my RTX doesnt will do it? I dont know, but I download the 436.02 (I dont try it in 436.30), so I dont know if will work in 436.30, in 436.02 OKKKK. I have a OP TV Sansung 58' 60 fps4k, monster, and always use RGB full in 4k 60 FPS in RX 580, now too in RTX... And go to options and enable HDMI UHD COLOR and ualaaaa!!! Enjoy friends. Thanks for astralboy, make me remember that option.

OBS: I never use HDR on windows 10, is worst.

Reactions: mitzoche
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS