4k monitor Samsung U28E590D yay or nay?

L0stChild

Reputable
Mar 8, 2016
im currently using 55'' led lcd samsung 2011 as main and a 23'' for secondary(never played games on)
Ive been thinking of upgrading my tv or grabbing a gaming monitor.
ive always used a tv as my main display and while its hard to determine whether i can feel the difference between tv and monitor since i just use my tv.. i want to grab a 4k.

First thing is that i have a 1070 and i got the impression that 4k at ultra might be too much for 60hz.

budget would be around 700 tops for a pc monitor and can double that for a gaming tv 55''+

right now this exact model Samsung U28E590D is on sale $450 from $600 CAD
i dont know much about monitors in terms of quality vs price point.

this monitor will mainly be used for fps and maybe others that will be beneficial over a tv.

with my 1070 id like to get the best picture and response time.

i understand 4k is maxed out at 60hz. so should i bother with this one or look into 144hz refresh rates on 1440s?

ultimately i would be getting a 4k tv maybe this year or the next.
if the tvs out now have improved on response time/refresh rates etc then maybe just upgrading to tv be better.

any comments or suggestions be great!

Solution
not really ideal choice for gaming. i recommend you to look for other 144hz monitor other brand, because i think samsung is not really great at making monitor, try to get asus,acer,aoc,benq monitor, they are more pro at making monitor. for sure i dont recommend you to use 4k tv as monitor if you want to use it for gaming, their refresh rate is much lower than pc monitor

nvincent_08

Reputable
not really ideal choice for gaming. i recommend you to look for other 144hz monitor other brand, because i think samsung is not really great at making monitor, try to get asus,acer,aoc,benq monitor, they are more pro at making monitor. for sure i dont recommend you to use 4k tv as monitor if you want to use it for gaming, their refresh rate is much lower than pc monitor

Solution

L0stChild

Reputable
Mar 8, 2016

Thanks for your input. So with the 144hz monitors, do they come in all resolutions except 4k?

nvincent_08

Reputable

Yeah, i think the highest resolution monitor you could get in 144hz is 1440p monitor

nvincent_08

Reputable
not sure it could double your 55" tv or not, but here is some of my best pick

-asus pg248q - 24" -1080p - 180hz - 1ms - g-sync - around $500+
-asus pg278qr - 27" - 1440p - 165hz - 1ms - g-sync - around $700
-asus wg278q - 27" - 1440p - 144hz - 1ms - around $500
-acer z271 - 27" - 1080p - 144hz - 4ms - g-sync - $600
-acer xb270h - 27" - 1080p -144hz - 1ms - g-sync - $600+
-acer xf270hu - 27" - 1440p - 144hz - 4ms -freesync - $500+

*price is based on amazon

L0stChild

Reputable
Mar 8, 2016
thx for the updates..
for the time being i think its best to not look at 4k monitors. mainly because i doubt my 1070 can support it at ultra 60hz plus its more expensive.

so a few questions...
on a screen that's less than 30'' is there a significant difference in quality when comparing 1080 1440 and 4k? or is it a combination of resolution and refresh rate and response time when it comes to picture quality especially fast motion

also like to know more about g-sync.

nvincent_08

Reputable

well, i guess in 27 inch 1080p looks beautiful already, but probably the pixel density looks better at 4k as it have insane amount of pixel, but it lso depends on the monitor ppi itself, usually higher refresh rate means smoother motion when you are doing fast interaction(such as looking to left or right when playing games), like here is the example: at 60hz its really blurry when you do fast motion, but at 100hz you could see things clearly when you are doing fast motion, but it depends. some people could see pretty high refresh rate difference when it is compared with low refresh rate, some people couldnt. but many people say human couldnt see higher than 100hz if im not wrong, but i dont think it is true. for g-sync itself, it have similar function like amd's freesync, which is eliminate tearing and choppiness, but they are different from v-sync, v sync could make some impact while gaming which could lead you to lag, meanwhile g-sync doesn't. sometimes higher refresh rate could also make some fps boost(depends)

L0stChild

Reputable
Mar 8, 2016

Thanks for the info.
so at this moment im deciding on a 144hz.. 1080 or 1440

nvincent_08

Reputable

well it all is up to you, for sure 1080p is enough for 27 inch, but 1440p usually looks sharper, if you see picture or video a lot, then this maybe noticeable for you, but my personal experience and choice is 1080p because i guess youtube video already look sharp in 1080p and i don't really notice difference between both of them

nvincent_08

Reputable

nice choice, however it is your option to choose which one you should get, because usage of each person is vary depending on what you going to use it so i couldnt help anymore

Just to chime in on the topic. The 28" Samsung 4k monitor is difficult to use. The resolution is just too high (in my opinion) for 28 inches. I bought some of them for work and checking and no one is using them at 4k. A video card capable of driving a 4k display is going to be very costly. For max details on think a pair of 1080's in SLI.

Also the 60hz refresh is less than most hope for these days, but I find it perfectly acceptable for gaming. A little while ago (over a year I think) I compared a smaller (25") 144hz monitor to my aging 30" dell (2560x1600 @ 60hz) and most preferred the image on the old dell. Decent resolution and on a 30" screen trumped smoother, lower res image.

My perfect screen would be around 29-32 and 2560x1440 or 2560x1600, 100hz or above and g-sync. But no such screen exists. Right now I am leaning towards a 21:9 instead.

L0stChild

Reputable
Mar 8, 2016
ok just an update here.
ASUS ROG PG278Q inquired via craigslist.. offer $700
ive looked into these monitors and seems like a lot of these were returned..
not sure what to expect and what to look for if i were to consider on this monitor.
a brand new 27'' 144hz 1440p would be $550+ tax on an Acer XG270HU but NO GSYNC.

Any input on the PG278Q?

also.. ive run heaven benchmark on ultra 1440 with 75-80fps average. not sure if this has a whole lot to do with upscaling to 1440 on a 1080 tv.
should i be concerned about keeping fps up on 1440?
my rig is updated below

nvincent_08

Reputable

well, rog made a lot of monitor, so if probably you dont think pg278q you could probably look for another rog monitor, or maybe other brand like acer, aoc, benq/zowie, etc. dunno about dell, i guess they made good color accuracy monitor, but not with pretty high end spec i guess. result on tv maybe worse than gaming monitor, they are not really good for gaming because their refresh rate relatively kinda low. i dont really know should you keep on 1440, but 75-80 fps is pretty darn high on benchmark especially in ultra, so if you wanted to keep on 1440 then just go ahead

L0stChild

Reputable
Mar 8, 2016
ok good news guys.
I've just bought the PG278Q!!!!
ive just plugged it in and now tinkering .
anyone have tips on how to set up or if anything i might be missing please lmk!!

so far it looks good. no dead pixels or weird screen flashes

nvincent_08

Reputable

plug it with displayport if you want to use g-sync, also displayport is probably the best input for gaming currently, however others will work too:D, have fun playing games with that monitor;)