Question 4TB drive showing as 2048GB. So far no go changing it to 4TB

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ozrock

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2008
Hi,
I have a 4TB drive which shows as 4TB by Crystal.
In Disk Mgmt it only shows at NTFS GPT but 2048GB unallocated.
In Partition Wizard shows the same. When I go to resize it only allows to get smaller.
How can I fix to 4TB please.
Ultimate partition s for the drive is 2 x 1TB and 1 x 2TB
Thank you
oz

ozrock

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2008
It is a standard Dell T7500 but I plan to use it in a Dell T3600.
Mainly used in a Dock via USB.

I will connect it to a box I know I have a few 4TB used via USB before Dell 9020 to see what happens.

In Device Manager, what do you see under Storage Controllers?

If you select View -> Devices by Connection, where do you see your drive? For example, on my laptop my drive appears under ...

ACPI x64-based PC -> MS ACPI-compliant System -> PCI Express Root Complex -> Intel(R) PCI Express Root Port #5 - 4DBC -> Standard NVM Express Controller

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
How do you format disks in that system? Cause your C: drive has the same unallocated space, also half of the volume. You use some kind of software? Can it be a setting in the bios that limits the drives?

I guess that the C drive is connected to a sata port in the T7500 system? Or is it also in a dock?

ozrock

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2008
The C: drive was actually cloned from another drive which had 2 more partitons. We only cloned the system and recover drive that's why it is like it is.

All 4 drives in the T7500 are portedcto the HDD0 to 3. The DVD player is the only one connected to a SATA port

Bios of the T7500 is A18 which is the latest. SATA and AHCI is enabled.

This box is all okay, except the 4TB only shows as 2TB, but in Win 10 it is now fine at 4TB.

It is the T3600 that I am having trouble getting more than 2 drives and a DVD showing in Win 10.

The drives only work in the SATA ports. Nothing seems to work in the HDD ports.

Bios is also A18 and both SATA and AHCI are enabled.

I have now found in the Intel Forum where others have this problem and
it seems the C600 Chipset does not work in later versions of Win 10.

Intel Forum post about C600 chipset

I am hoping they can supply a workaround so I can use more drives.

Any help is greatly appreciated and I am really thankful as so far some wonderful people have really tried.

Last edited:

ozrock

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2008
I have been involved with computers since main frames in the early 70's through all the generations and o/systems up until now.
One thing I was always careful about was allowing my box to be totally controlled by 'wizbang' software.
Many times over the years I have been hit on by the software 'Driver Easy' but never succumbed as I always was successful getting drivers myself..
until now, with this pesky T3600 Controller.

An hour ago I was hit on by them again and thought, 'why not?' nothing else has worked. The free version show 17 drivers needing to be updated including a few C600 Controller drivers.
So I bit the bullet and bought a year for 3 boxes for $30.

Within the last few minutes it updated all of the 17 and like magic, the Controller works and I have access to the HDD ports for other drives, as I havr been trying to do.

So, the lesson for me is, before poo pooing stuff, at least try it! Never too late to teach an 82 year old dog.

ozrock

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2008
Yes I too was always aware of these products and in the past have not had good experiences, but this time I had exhausted all other avenues and it was 'bite the bullet' time to at least see if it recognized the problem drivers.. and it did.

That's why I bought to see if it brought the new drivers in. I had Dev Mgr open as I initiated Driver Easy and within seconds the exclamation mark had gone off the problem C600 Storage Controller.

I had looked everywhere for this driver, even on the Dell and Intel sites and Win 10 kept telling me it was a problem, but the best there was.

So this program knows what Win 10 doesn't. Good job MS, not !

I will see if I can find where it got these particular C600 set of drivers from as I am now curious I couldn't find them, but it could.

Now to get a cage for the extra drives and extra power connectors .

Anyway it was a good day and such a relief. You guys know what that feels too, like for every problem solved.

Now to to the T7500. Still got to find why I keep getting Bios error at start up before F1,..

Unable to initialize Fan Controller
Front Chassis Fan Failure
Rear chassis fab failure
CPU 2 Fan Failure
Hard Drive Fan Failure
Air Temp sensor not detected.

I've checked all plug and they all seem okay and all fans are working, just loudly and full on.

Have a great day!