[SOLVED] 4TB Hard Drive for Internal Drive

bikemanI7

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
Hello

Originally got this 4TB drive to use as Internal drive, then swapped to using it as External later on for some reason, would it be wise to switch that one back to Internal as it's newer, and swap the Internal 1TB Storage drive to Extra External Drive

Plan on Windows 11 clean install on October 5th

have 1TB Sata SSD for Game Storage

4TB will store perhaps extra games if too big for the 1TB SSD, or if i get low on space there, Documents, Downloads, Music, Videos, Pictures, ((backed up on my Seagate 8TB Drive))

and Boot M.2 SSD is 500GB

Advice welcomed

Solution
i have no need for a ton of external space. so most of mine is internal.

the 1 tb external is for important data back-ups so it does not need to be massive.

evaluate what you do with your space and whee it needs to be and go from there. if you need a lot of mobile storage then keep it external. if you need more space for games and such internally, then there is your answer

bikemanI7

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
Well I got Western Digital My Passport External 2TB, Western Digital Elements 500GB external, Toshiba 2TB in another Enclosure, and Seagate 8TB in Another Enclosure

I'd like probably enough to store all the data Internally, Currently the Internal WD Black 1TB is approxmately half full with Music folder, Document folder of Game saves and Game Profiles and such...Unisoft Game currently not installed at the moment, which would be the Division about 50GB for that one, Buying Forza Horizon 5 Later in November, so thats gonna take up a chunk more. Of Course if the Games all fit on the Game 1TB SSD Samsung 860 Evo, then i guess i can continue managing fine with the 1TB Drive Internally, and just disconnect both the Game SSD and Storage drive prior to doing clean install of Windows 11

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i have no need for a ton of external space. so most of mine is internal.

the 1 tb external is for important data back-ups so it does not need to be massive.

evaluate what you do with your space and whee it needs to be and go from there. if you need a lot of mobile storage then keep it external. if you need more space for games and such internally, then there is your answer

Solution

bikemanI7

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
Yeah think will probably swap around, think i got a little too much external storage at the moment lol

Will continue to evaluate and go from there and make final decision in coming days here, but learning towards reducing external storage a bit lol

As can't really afford larger Sata SSD for more game storage at the moment, don't have another M.2 Slot, so thinking decision made up in mind, and gonna configure it hopefully early on the October 5th

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
it's fun to have the external space but if you don't need it, then it is a waste obviously.

as big as games are getting you can never have enough internal space. i've got a 2 tb m.2 drive, a 1 tb sata ssd and 8 tb of hdd space across 3 drives. it's not all full but it all serves a purpose in my system :)

bikemanI7

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
Yeah, well i got the Seagate 8TB that should hold the important backups, 2TB WD My Passport, so think external storage wise i'll be fine, haven't even had t he 4TB External enclosure plugged in much lately lol...

Switching the drives around for internal use not too hard lol, just have to get access to hard drive tray, mount the drive in it, slide tray back in, do the clean install of Windows 11, and then shutdown once again and connect all the other drives lol.