[SOLVED] 4TB int drive suddenly lost volume, but reports as healthy. Any ideas?

Blackmore_98

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010
First things first: I have searched around the forums and not found an answer.

I've a 4tb drive I'm using for storage of general stuff, I think. And one day I fire up the Pc and it isn't recognized.

Drive doesn't show up in windows explorer. Does show up in Bios just fine, and also WD Dashboard - but the volume is missing, which is the same info as Diskpart gives: Disk ok. no volume.

View: https://imgur.com/a/baSecwX
for various pictures of Disk Manager and WD Dashboard

Ran a few of the various data recovery tools and nothing leaps out as 'this is the problem', just reports a lot of bad sectors.

Driver is up to date (or rather, clicking 'update driver' showed it was on the latest). It wasn't encrypted or anything weird.

Any thoughts on how to fix?

Solution
It appears that your drive is failing. The best approach is to clone it with a tool that is designed to handle bad heads/media, eg HDDSuperClone. It's a Linux tool, but the author provides a Live CD and a GUI. After cloning, you can then run data recovery tools against the clone.

DMDE is the least harmful of the data recovery tools, as it will assess your drive in less than a minute. Please avoid those tools which scan your drive. This will only accelerate its demise.
It appears that your drive is failing. The best approach is to clone it with a tool that is designed to handle bad heads/media, eg HDDSuperClone. It's a Linux tool, but the author provides a Live CD and a GUI. After cloning, you can then run data recovery tools against the clone.

DMDE is the least harmful of the data recovery tools, as it will assess your drive in less than a minute. Please avoid those tools which scan your drive. This will only accelerate its demise.

Solution