4th WoW Expansion Will Have New Continent

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sceen311

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
[citation][nom]WhySoBluePandaBear[/nom]Paying $14.99 a month for WoW (cheaper if you buy more months in advanced) is hardly back breaking. Paying 50 cents a day is pretty much as good of a deal as it gets.[/citation]
That's less then what I used to spend in the arcades back in the day.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
@WhySoBluePandaBear (and the others) : You're thinking of WoW and other MMOs as time-guzzling games where you can't accomplish nothing unless you dedicate your whole life to them while they are in fact just games. The point of a game is to enjoy yourself for the time you play it.

You don't have to put 30+ hours a week in WoW to progress through the game and get to the end-game content. The game has plenty of features to get you going at your rythm (like the dungeon finder tool). By the time WOTLK was over, pretty much everyone got into ICC. Maybe you don't have that super über achievement mount. So what? Are you really puting that much time in something just for a single objective? Even if you do get it, someone else will have something better. How about having some fun playing the game instead? Don't play the game like you need to get from point A to point B as quickly as possible. Enjoy yourself doing things you like. If what you like is farming ore and craft armors, why don't you do that? It's fine by me!

My point is that World of Warcraft is a rich game that offers a great gaming experience for any type of gamer : casual, regular or hardcore. You might not be suited for 25-man heroic Deathwing (I know I'm not!). Still, there's plenty of exciting dungeons, quests and professions out there that are accessible to anybody, regardless of the time you have to play.

p.s : No, I do not work for Blizzard. I'm just an enthusiast.

radiumburn

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
I was a wow job gamer (i put in more then 40 hours a week for about 2 years playing so it was a job) and I quit cold turkey * sits down and basks in the glory of the claps from the wow recovering addicts meeting.

I worked 8 hours a day played 8 hours a day and slept about 5 hours with some driving/shower time in between. I might go back to that schedule here if I pick up the new expansion but don't know if my wife will kill me or not haha

rocket_sauce

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2004
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]My point is that World of Warcraft is a rich game that offers a great gaming experience for any type of gamer : casual, regular or hardcore. You might not be suited for 25-man heroic Deathwing (I know I'm not!). Still, there's plenty of exciting dungeons, quests and professions out there that are accessible to anybody, regardless of the time you have to play.p.s : No, I do not work for Blizzard. I'm just an enthusiast.[/citation]
Finally, some sense from someone. I took a 6 month break and came back about a month ago. (no activation fee btw) I was hardcore into raids trying for the top gear. Taking the break has really helped me realize the fun I had just leveling my character.

whysobluepandabear

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
We killed Heroic LK 25 on like June 14th? Cata just came out yesterday.

Of course everyone experienced ICC. Besides the fact that they made it incredibly easy(accessible), you had about what? 9 months to experience it?

We were even pugging heroic ICC 25 in June on alts.

If you're only putting in an hour or so per day on WoW, you REALLY won't get far. You'll get a few dailies done and maybe a heroic or two.

In terms of raiding, you won't get anywhere if you can't invest the time.

If you're satisfied with downing a few bosses on normal, then I suppose It's fine and dandy for you under those circumstances.

I personally wouldn't even touch the game unless I could achieve a certain level of accomplishments.

whysobluepandabear

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]radiumburn[/nom]I was a wow job gamer (i put in more then 40 hours a week for about 2 years playing so it was a job) and I quit cold turkey * sits down and basks in the glory of the claps from the wow recovering addicts meeting.I worked 8 hours a day played 8 hours a day and slept about 5 hours with some driving/shower time in between. I might go back to that schedule here if I pick up the new expansion but don't know if my wife will kill me or not haha[/citation]

It's amazing you're still married. I was doing the same, minus the wife, but somehow kept a 2 year relationship going. It definitely got screwed up when I canceled real life events and plans, just so I could be on time for raiding.

Doing 4 hours per day, 4 times per week...got to be a little too much. That was strictly just raiding time, not even my own personal time to attend to my daily, financial and PvP needs.

ChromeTusk

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010

I do not know about that special, but Blizzard had great pricing during the Thanksgiving week: WoW = $5, BC =$10, and WotLK = $15. I would have boaught it for a friend if I could convince him to play.

ChromeTusk

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010

I agree with you that the expansion should come with some free game time. I think BC and/or WotLK came with one month free, but I do not remember. At the very least, the Collector's edition should come with it. Maybe even 15 days for the standard edition.

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Don't think any of the expansions came with free game time. Even then, if you're unsure of whether you're going to like it or not, get a friend to activate his free 10 day trial for you and then you can see whether you like it or not. That way, at least if you don't like it you save $15 bucks.

Some of the expansions have come with the 10 day trial cards, but not full months of game time.

ChromeTusk

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010

Paying attention to the plot and storylines helps make the experience more worth while. I just did the goblin start zone last night and really enjoyed the cut scenes.

I agree with you 100%, especially since I am a casual gamer (average time = 1-3 hours per log-in if I even get to log-in, 0-4 days per week). My friend levels up much faster, but he gets bored quickly too. As for me, there are so many places to explore and stories to follow, I have not gotten bored yet. If you want a break, pick up a book.

mhughes81

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
I prefer casually playing WoW. Hardcore raiding and arena is too job like for somebody who works full time. It works for some people but I tried it in the past and it doesn't work for me. I had a real bad case of burnout after I was raiding just 2-3 nights a weeks for a few months. I'd rather have the option to run random dungeons, work on professions, level alts, pvp in battlegrounds or casually raid a 10 man when it sounds good because I can do it when I feel like it. Being able to watch a movie/tv or hanging out with friends when you're not feeling WoW is also nice.

What I find crazy are the people who are already sitting at level 85 since yesterday (day of Cata release).

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]@WhySoBluePandaBear (and the others) : You're thinking of WoW and other MMOs as time-guzzling games where you can't accomplish nothing unless you dedicate your whole life to them while they are in fact just games. The point of a game is to enjoy yourself for the time you play it.You don't have to put 30+ hours a week in WoW to progress through the game and get to the end-game content. The game has plenty of features to get you going at your rythm (like the dungeon finder tool). By the time WOTLK was over, pretty much everyone got into ICC. Maybe you don't have that super über achievement mount. So what? Are you really puting that much time in something just for a single objective? Even if you do get it, someone else will have something better. How about having some fun playing the game instead? Don't play the game like you need to get from point A to point B as quickly as possible. Enjoy yourself doing things you like. If what you like is farming ore and craft armors, why don't you do that? It's fine by me!My point is that World of Warcraft is a rich game that offers a great gaming experience for any type of gamer : casual, regular or hardcore. You might not be suited for 25-man heroic Deathwing (I know I'm not!). Still, there's plenty of exciting dungeons, quests and professions out there that are accessible to anybody, regardless of the time you have to play.p.s : No, I do not work for Blizzard. I'm just an enthusiast.[/citation]

Wrong, either you waste your life or you will suck. Thats why I prefer FPS games, I can play only 20hours a week and still be 1337.

BTW I was there when WoW came out, from 1.0 to BC and I have seen this game getting noobified by Activi$ion at every patch.

G

I was told that cata was the last expansion... and I was happy because after figuring out about cata I was sorta happy but mainly said because ive all my 80 gear... will go to waste... and then 1 year later when the fourth expansion comes out... all my freaking 85 gear will go to waste

G

The problem with WoW is whenever you play it you feel like 10 minutes have gone by but in reality it was 3 hours then you tell yourself "what the heck ill just keep playing since I really need to get this or these *insert awesome pvp item,honor points,heirloom,mount etc*

G

As long as Greg Street continues to work for Blizzard, the game will suffer.

Status
Not open for further replies.