4x raid on sata 2 board?

mrtoebiter

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
Hello, Im looking to put 4 intel x25m 80gig ssd drives in a raid 0 config, but My evga mobo only has onboard sata2. SO is there any point in doing this considering sata2 limitations? Is a sata3 add in card an option? thanks corei7 920 @ 4ghz evga x58 sli mobo 6 gigs mushkin 1600 2x gigabyte 470gtx x25m 80gig boot and 300 gig wd black

Wamphryi

Distinguished
I wouldn't bother putting those drive in RAID 0. TRIM is not supported in RAID (but will be at some future date according to Intel) You would be better off getting a single large SSD. RAID 0 does not offer much in terms of real world performance and is more vulnerable to data loss. If you have four drives in RAID 0 then you are 4 times more likely to lose your data. The only time I have ever seen any advantage in RAID 0 is Video Editing and only then with the more recent 64 bit applications pushing the Drives, RAM and CPU to their limits. However Video Editing is write intensive which is undesirable when using SSD technology. Due to this 10000 RPM HDD's come into their own when RAID 0 scratch drives become useful.