[SOLVED] 4X4-V1000M for media, voice & game servers

AtotehZ

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Last edited:
Solution
"Various servers" are best handled with virtualization, and I doubt this anemic CPU / RAM are up to the task. As a learning / hobby tool - yes. As a something (with all the tasks listed) to put your business onto - no.

To have an idea how much CPU / RAM / storage you need: Build a prototype with whatever you have on hand - ten-year old C2D-based laptop / desktop will be a good starting point.

Spec-wise, the second option is much more to the task, but $600+ for bare motherboard and CPU - I will definitely pass.

AtotehZ

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Because I'm looking for info about this form factor. The storage is not a problem. Im more concerned with the speed of the cpu and other components. Whether they can handle it all at once.

So would you say it'll run fine other than the storage issue?

kanewolf

Titan
"Company" backup and torrenting seem like they should be separated. The probability of an attack is much higher for exposed services.
This backup should be via a VPN, rather than an FTP server. FTP is one of the least secure methods of transmitting anything over the net.

AtotehZ

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Ok forget the backup, i just wanna know if it'll work. That was the question. "Would it be able to run"

I really appreciate the concern, but can't you be concerned while answering the question?

EDIT: BTW, I agree with torrenting and backup being separated. Right now I'm just investigating the capabilities of the hardware.

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
Ok forget the backup, i just wanna know if it'll work. That was the question. "Would it be able to run"

I really appreciate the concern, but can't you be concerned while answering the question?

EDIT: BTW, I agree with torrenting and backup being separated. Right now I'm just investigating the capabilities of the hardware.
Since I don't do any of the things you want to support, I have no opinion.

"Various servers" are best handled with virtualization, and I doubt this anemic CPU / RAM are up to the task. As a learning / hobby tool - yes. As a something (with all the tasks listed) to put your business onto - no.

To have an idea how much CPU / RAM / storage you need: Build a prototype with whatever you have on hand - ten-year old C2D-based laptop / desktop will be a good starting point.

Spec-wise, the second option is much more to the task, but $600+ for bare motherboard and CPU - I will definitely pass.

Solution

AtotehZ

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008

I can get the 2nd one for much less than that. Thanks a lot for your answer.