[SOLVED] 5 beeps after random shutdown

ekreger

Reputable
Sep 14, 2017
Hello,

I was using my computer normally as usual when all of a sudden it turns off abruptly. I tried to turn it back on, to which the computer would light up with no display on the monitor. The computer then beeped 5 times, which I looked up to be a CPU error. Here are the steps I have already done to try to resolve the issue.

• Replaced RAM with working RAM from another computer. Also tried putting the RAM in different slots. Same result.
  • Removed the CMOS battery for 10 minutes, then put it back in. (I disconnected any power and also pressed the power button a few times to drain all electricity.) Same result.
  • Removed CPU and checked for bent pins, to which there were none. Same result. The only red flag I am not sure of is that the CPU came out stuck to the CPU Fan cooler, even when the retention bar will still in the locked position.
  • Replaced PSU with a working PSU from another computer. Same result.
  • Disconnected any HDMI/DP cables and also removed GPU with hdmi in the MOBO slot. Same result.

I am thinking that either the motherboard or the CPU are bad in some way. I hope that isn't the case. Is there anything else I can troubleshoot to try to rule out the problem?

ekreger

Reputable
Sep 14, 2017
I found the problem. Supposedly the ASRock mother boards put out 5 beeps for GPU errors as well. The rx480 nitro was the problem. Looking to see if I can fix it.