Status
Not open for further replies.

who wants to know

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
hey

so i got the parts for my computer yesterday and began the build today. starting with an external build, i got the essentials set up and then turned it on... 5 beeps in POST.

i looked up asrock post beep codes (my mobo is an asrock extreme3 970) and it says that 5 beeps means there's a processor error. okay so how do i diagnose the cause of the failure? i was reading something that suggested that 5 beeps probably doesn't mean that the processor is outright dead (or else the beeps wouldn't have happened at all), but if it isn't dead, what's wrong with it?

this is my first build, any help is greatly appreciated

who wants to know

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
@cybernetik - i followed the mobo manual instructions, not to mentioned the pins on the cpu slipped easily into the socket, but if anyone could explain possible seating mistakes let me know. i did take the cpu out and place is back in to see if that helped, it didnt.

what else could it be/how do i find out?

who wants to know

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
yeah the fan is spinning and everything. i looked over that checklist you mentioned too, but it seems to be more focused on giving general suggestions of possible problems, rather than addressing the problem that i'm specifically facing. the checklist did give me the idea to make sure my processor and mobo are compatible, but i looked it up and they appear to be.

The specific problem you're facing is that your computer isn't booting.
CPUs get tested before they're shipped out. It's very rare to get a bad CPU.
It's less rare to have a CPU damaged during installation.

Based on what you're seeing - what do you suspect the problem might be?

who wants to know

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
hey listen i'm not perfect, it's possible that i did something to cause the problem. all i'm seeing is that there are 5 beeps in post, and that on my asrock mobo that indicates a process error. if i bent a pin on installation or in some other way damaged the cpu... that's on me and i'll accept that i probably have to spend the money for a new cpu in that case. i'm just looking for a way to find that out if this is indeed that case or not.

i'll keep reading the checklist, maybe i missed something

How is your fan plugged in? Directly to the motherboard fan header or attached to the PSU for power?

manic_44

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013

I had a very similar problem. I was upgrading from an intel chip to the FX8150 with the Asrock Extreme 3 970. Same vid card, power supply, all tested previously.

I had the same error code of 5 beeps. I swapped processors, and had the same error code in my case. The 8150 tested fine on an m5a97 in another case.
Thankfully, I continued reading replies, and after despairing, swapped cases. I'd been working in a Raidmax Scorpio, which doesn't have the best reputation. After rebuilding in a quality Thermaltake Armor case, the system worked pefectly. Hooray!

axehead15

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013

I realize this thread has been dead, but what if you have passive cooling and no CPU fan?

shybear

Honorable
Oct 1, 2013
hi to all,
I know its an old thread, but who can say, maybe if someone will read it may help.
I've had the exact same problem with AS ROCK FM2A55M-DGS mounting the AMD Athlon FX2 340 CPU.
First of all I supposed that was a bios problem so I resetted the BIOS but nothing changed.
Next step was focusing on RAM memory, unlucky I hadn't under hands other RAM to test but I noticed that without RAM the beep sound -bepps numbers and loud- was different.
So I went over the net lookin for CPU compatibility but it says that CPU is fine.
So as "last beach" I had a PCI ex video card and with this card the mainboard boot and works.
Right now I still didn't looks on AMD site but I suppose that this mobo requires APU CPU (a CPU that has the videochipset integrated into it) and this CPU its a traditional one so it requires a separeted video card to work.

agarrity

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013
The same happened to me, but it was actually my graphics card. It wasn't mounted properly, thus the 5 beeps. After mounting it properly, it worked and hasn't beeped since.

Rj Keitchen

Reputable
May 2, 2014
I just ran into this very same problem with an FM2A55M-DGS R2.0. I have built hundreds of PC's over the last 10 years and this one stumped me. I tried all the usual fix's to no avail. I also read that 5 beeps means a CPU error, but in this case that was only partially true. I was replacing the mainboard, CPU and RAM on an old Core 2 Duo rig. The old rig had a basic graphics card. On the new system I was just going to use the onboard video. When trying to diagnose the issue it hit me, the new CPU was an AMD Athlon X4. Not an A series APU. The new FM2 mobos require an APU to use the onboard graphics because the onboard graphics actually come from the Radeon HD 6 or 7000 series GPU built into the APU. If you don't have an A series APU installed, their is no GPU to produce the graphics. So I plugged in the old basic graphics card and there it was, full post and all is working.

Jun 19, 2019
When asrock states 5 beeps to be a cpu error it may not necessarily mean ur cpu is bad it cud b ur video output (in case ur cpu doesnt have n igpu) causing ur cpu to be shown bad atleast that was in my case

Status
Not open for further replies.