5 Features The iPhone 4G Needs Right Now

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]2ms[/nom]Did Tom's Hardware get bought by Google or MS or something? Every article seems to either be completely about how evil Apple is, or full of back-handed remarks about how evil Apple is.It's childish.[/citation]

The truth hurts?

Your such a sad panda now?

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]insider3[/nom]Visually the iPhone looks great. I just don't like their OS. Also AT&T as the main carrier? It's like Apple is taking advantage of their uneducated fanbase and is getting a good share of all those $120 monthly bills since Apple customers would buy a bottled water bottle for 20$ if it had an Apple Sticker on it.[/citation]

Voted down for assuming Apple fanbase is uneducated. What a stupid comment.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]dgingeri[/nom]2 things I think are paramount for Apple to include in their next iPhone:1. micro SD card slot2. replaceable batteryWithout those, the iPhone falls very flat. Anything else mentioned is moot without those 2.[/citation]

Replaceable battery is moot. Not once in ~10 years of owning cell phones have I ever replaced a battery. Not once. People keep complaining about this but no one will actually use it. If you really need the extra battery buy a case that has a battery, they make them. I too would like to see a micro SD card slot but I just don't see it happening. No one would buy higher capacity models.

tosvus

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
I have the iPhone3G but I'll be looking at Android if it is going to support Flash. I'm tired of not getting the content I expect when surfing on the phone..

G

Apple is playing catch up now. All they are going to do is up the storage, screen size/resolution and pack in an A4 derivative. You know where that gets them....on par with most of current gen Android devices (Evo, Nexus one,etc) So I assume they will be forced to play up the video calling big time and try and sell it as a new must have feature. Which only the stupid will fall for.... And then this fall the next wave of Android devices will come (Tegra2 based) and out do the Iphone and we will be right back here...with the Iphone needing to catch up.

Gian124

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]Replaceable battery is moot...[/citation]

Well, some people prefer to have multiple batteries *charged* and ready to swap out when they will be away from a charging station for a while. Especially considering the power drain associated with all the audio/video capabilities of the phone. If you want to use the iPhone as a portable media player... without the risk of a dead battery, thus lost communication, a removable (e.g. back up battery) would be nice... opposed to the bulky add-on battery back-up devices that are currently available.

Not essential in some people's daily usage, but it would be nice to have the option to replace the battery.

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
[citation][nom]2ms[/nom]Did Tom's Hardware get bought by Google or MS or something? Every article seems to either be completely about how evil Apple is, or full of back-handed remarks about how evil Apple is.It's childish.[/citation]

I swear there was an article recently written by Tom's that mentioned this mentality....

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
What's going on with that "Nano-Film" they are putting on CMOS sensors? I think Apple could benefit from trying out some new-age technology. 21MP camera anyone?

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]alexzander_lexx[/nom]That doesn't look like the Apple Design to me. If the Ipad looks round shaped why is this looking like an ugly squared car GPS.[/citation]I think it looks pretty sweet. It looks sturdy. Ready to "work".

vant

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
I'd like more battery, OLED (more efficient), faster GUI (3GS is just a tiny bit slower then iPad), and less radiation.

Could care less about capacity, removable battery (I'll take a larger battery over a removable one), OS, and removable storage.

Audiose

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
@Tayb:

You said: Replaceable battery is moot. Not once in ~10 years of owning cell phones have I ever replaced a battery. Not once. People keep complaining about this but no one will actually use it. If you really need the extra battery buy a case that has a battery, they make them.

The benefit of having a removeable battery is not just the ability to obtain a higher-capacity battery, it is the ability to remove the battery when the phone freezes (which my old iPhone did just like any other phone). Removing the battery would clear any cache, logs, etc (including stored cell network connections) and allow a reset. What is not desirable about that?

paigeinfull

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
Ok let's see we need a bigger screen at a higher resolution and more battery life? You do realize that the screen alone sucks up probably like half the power of the total phone already right? Some of these comments are ridiculous you simply can't pack that many features into a tiny phone unless you want a 2 pound battery.
You can't really fault apple for not having an open source OS, especially since it is actually good IMO, but their tyrannical control over apps is too far. All that is moot though if you just jailbreak the thing which makes it competitive with any android phone on the market.

Ehsan w

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
"the unlimited calling plan is priced at $70 per month. The data plan adds $30 and the messaging plan another $20, for a total of $120 per month."

holy SH*T....wtf...
I can't believe they even sold one iphone there... the average here in the Netherlands is 45,- euro's a month (120,- for phone), if you want more 65,- a month(60,-). Nobody here gets the 110,- model....

tgsa

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
Interestingly enough, the Gizmodo article stated the phone used a micro-sim card, but failed to mention if there was a specific carrier associated with the sim card. Since nobody currently uses these sim-cards and Verizon doesn't currently use sim cards (as far as I know), I wonder if it's a hint that maybe Verizon might be getting there iPhone soon?

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]insider3[/nom]Apple customers would buy a bottled water bottle for 20$ if it had an Apple Sticker on it.[/citation]
You're a genius. Apple would make a killing selling bottled water, and apple fanboys would definitely buy it because of its superior quality and easy open spout!

jason-g

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
I'd love to see an LTE version of the iPhone. In the past, when Apple adopted a technology, they'd stick with it regardless of whether it was great (SCSI, GUI, laser printers, USB) or a dud (single-button mice, for example). While Verizon's planned LTE roll-out seems a little late for the next generation of iPhone, it'd be a way of ditching AT&T while leaving a little bit of plausible deniability (AT&T's supposed to migrate to LTE eventually, too).

Status
Not open for further replies.