[SOLVED] 5 short beeps after PSU change

jclaumann

Reputable
Dec 22, 2018
Hello,
Today I changes my PSU and after that the motherboard gives 5 beeps and restarts.
I tried resetting the BIOS and updating the BIOS but nothing changed.
During the process of changing the PSU I didn't even touch the CPU or it's cooler, I just changed the power cables.
When I turn on the Pc the LEDs and fans turn on normally, so the PSU isn't totally faulty.

Could it be some problem with the PSU?
Is it even possible for a PSU to somehow overcharge the CPU and brick it?

My rig:
CPU: Intel core i5 11400
GPU: gigabyte aorus RTX 3070 TI
RAM: 32gb
Motherboard: gigabyte Z490M
Storage: 2xHDD + 2xSSD
OLD PSU: gigabyte P750gm
NEW PSU: cooler master mwe850 gold V2

While writing I tough of swapping back the old PSU to see what happens, as soon as I'm finished I will edit the post with the results.

Solution
Yes, I changes all cables, only one thing I did different this time.
The GPU requires 3 connectors, the new PSU came with just 2 so instead of using two main cables and one slipt I used 2 main that came with the new PSU and one main from the old one.
Will try right now to remove the GPU, will post the results as soon as I get them

DO NOT mix cables from different power supplies.

jclaumann

Reputable
Dec 22, 2018
And you changed all the power cables?

Five beeps here means, I believe, the GPU, so next thing to try would be the removed the GPU and use integrated graphics.
The GPU requires 3 connectors, the new PSU came with just 2 so instead of using two main cables and one slipt I used 2 main that came with the new PSU and one main from the old one.
Will try right now to remove the GPU, will post the results as soon as I get them

Are you trying to boot without the GPU connected to the monitor? I had a similar problem when I was putting my machine back to together after moving it and it was because the GPU wasn't detecting a monitor as being connected. Make sure the monitor is connected to the GPU and the monitor is set to the right input (e.g. HDMI or DP).

Reactions: jclaumann

DO NOT mix cables from different power supplies.

Reactions: jclaumann
Solution

jclaumann

Reputable
Dec 22, 2018
Are you trying to boot without the GPU connected to the monitor? I had a similar problem when I was putting my machine back to together after moving it and it was because the GPU wasn't detecting a monitor as being connected. Make sure the monitor is connected to the GPU and the monitor is set to the right input (e.g. HDMI or DP).
Those are ok, both Display cable and HDMI plugged on the GPU and one monitor for each cable, both are set to take the right feed input

jclaumann

Reputable
Dec 22, 2018
I removed the cable from the old PSU and it turned on but somehow my windows won't boot, I'm doing a fresh install now but it seems the problem was the cable, probably didn't function well and the GPU couldn't work with only 2 cables.