500-700 Budget Gaming Build

lithium8813

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
Hey guys, i'm planning on upgrading from an HP m7570n which i put a 7600gs in and desperately need an upgrade. I'm concerned about the marginal benefit of upgrading the processor (pentium D915) to a modestly priced processor. I'm also not sold between the benefits of the x4 compared to the i3, hopefully you guys can enlighten me
old pc spec link

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Late July

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Display, mouse, keyboard, speakers, dvd drive/dvd burner, 320gb 7200rpm hd, Windows 7 Ultimate

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com or amazon.com, or if any other websites have anything cheaper.

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN:USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: AMD processor, ATI graphics

OVERCLOCKING: Yes SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Possibly in future, not immediately

MONITOR RESOLUTION:1650x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Would like a relatively cool and quiet system, though it isn't a priority. I'm curious if the new gtx460 would perform better than any other recommendation such as 5770, 5830. My budget like the title says

This is what I have so far.

Case

CPU

MB

RAM

HDD- N/A currently have 320gb 7200rpm sata drive

PSU

GPU

$642AR? Oops $587AR w/o need for HDD
Untitled-1862.jpg

Mark Heath

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
With gaming as the main focus, batchka's build will serve you well. If you're looking at something with more multitasking etc power, then look at a 955 for the CPU, but the 440 is already a very good chip.

Unless you anticipate a monitor upgrade, OR benchmarks for your specific games show you need the graphics muscle even at 1680x1050, you can lower the price, power, and noise by getting a HD5770 instead of the HD5830.
I like the OPs choices a little better than Batuchka's. I still don't really trust MSI for mobos, and that ASRock is probably the one I'd buy if I were building an AMD system. It can do x8,x8 Crossfire and still have a x4 slot free for a USB 3.0 expansion card, or PhysX. The Antec PSU is higher quality than the OCZ, and is semi-modular. I would also expect the Antec case to be better than the NZXT, although cases are a very personal choice.