$500 Mouse Features LCD Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harby

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
At the heart of the SpacePilot PRO is its support for 3D applications, whether its 3DS Max or Maya. The mouse can actually move in all three dimensions (X,Y,Z) simultaneously, using 3Dconnexion's "six-degrees-of-freedom" technology. By lifting, pressing, and turning the controller cap, designers can easily pan, zoom and rotate without stopping to select commands.

I'm sure some 3d designers will use it just for that. I know I would. 500 is not a massive amount if you consider it from a workstation point of view. If something like this will improve your productivity then I'm sure you'll consider buying it.

From a home consumers point of view its defo expensive and mostly useless.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
I could see this being a good mouse for some things.. Hell if I was constantly making maps for games.. I would damn near consider getting this mouse..

G

uhh...that's not a mouse. it's just a spacepilot with a screen. duh tom?

G

maybe something I actually will buy in 15 years or so,when it somewhat proves necessary... By then they probably will cost an acceptable $50.

teacup320

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
THIS IS NOT A MOUSE. This is a 3d Controller for CAD/Digital Content Creation. You can't game with this, and frankly, no-one should be writing articles about this unless they understand the benefits of Quadro/FirePro graphic cards. Come-on Kevin...

G

My Wacom tablet cost around 500 dollars. Of course it could be considered a "mouse" device. I need it for all the Adobe software, Zbrush and it improves my productivity by not making my carpal tunnel flare up...which can be crippling, (I got it from being a welder believe it or not.)

This being said, I consider it well worth the money and would have paid well over 1k if I had to. It's worth it if you do it for a living.

is supported by Windows XP, Windows Vista, Sun Solaris 8 (SPARC), Sun Solaris 10 (x86), and Linux (Redhat Enterprise Linux WS 4, SuSE 9.3 or later). Linux and Solaris support workflow assistant function key assignments only.

I find it funny that Linux/Windows are listed as supported but no OSX (technically based on UNIX, but that doesn't count). :lol: A Mac user is more likely to spend on a mouse like this than a PC user.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Shadow703793[/nom]I find it funny that Linux/Windows are listed as supported but no OSX (technically based on UNIX, but that doesn't count). A Mac user is more likely to spend on a mouse like this than a PC user.[/citation]
Eh, I'd buy it if it supported Ubuntu and Blender. But Mactards would only buy something like this if it had the apple brand on it.

outacontrolpimp

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
id rather have a small screen on a stand below my monitor, looking over your mouse would be incredibly anoying. even as a game designer point of view, i would much rather have a small 2.5-5 in screen to have the same effects.

H8ff0000

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
[citation][nom]teacup320[/nom]THIS IS NOT A MOUSE. This is a 3d Controller for CAD/Digital Content Creation. You can't game with this, and frankly, no-one should be writing articles about this unless they understand the benefits of Quadro/FirePro graphic cards. Come-on Kevin...[/citation]
Just another case of misleading titles.

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
[citation][nom]teacup320[/nom]THIS IS NOT A MOUSE. This is a 3d Controller for CAD/Digital Content Creation. You can't game with this, and frankly, no-one should be writing articles about this unless they understand the benefits of Quadro/FirePro graphic cards. Come-on Kevin...[/citation]

+1 and I am actually using a similar one with Pro/E. The author appears to have no CAD background and therefore might call it a mouse? Either way, e-mail screen sounds weird, but I am sure it's most usable to remember custom button assignments etc. similar to WACOM's new Intuos 4.

G

Why not displaying the information where I'm looking at, on my monitor?

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Actually, this looks far less like a mouse and far more like a joystick/keyboard replacement. It looks like you're meant to use this with your left hand (if you're right handed) and use a mouse in your right hand, moving the object you're working with in 3D around with the control knob with your left hand, accessing the functions you want to use with the keyboard replacement macros/buttons with your left hand and doing the actual editing with the mouse in your right hand. In this way you could think of it more like holding an object in your left hand while sculpting it with a knife in your right hand.

This is definitely not a mouse but looks like a superb 3D editing tool.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
So its ok to spend $100 on a custom-weighted lazer gaming mouse, but $500 is too much for a mouse specifically designed for 3D designing/engineering? I've seen a much more expensive mouse for a Sun development workstation.

This is Tom's Hardware, not Tom's Crysis-Capable Hardware.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Having done 3D modeling (not professionally) I can see why someone would spring for a mouse that is able to control all 3 axis, but I think the LCD is overkill. This is definetly a niche item, to the point that even the guy who has everything has no need for this mouse. This is one gadget you would have to need to want.

Status
Not open for further replies.