51% Would Rather Have Laptop Instead of an iPad

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
iPad would be okay if you were giving them away, however, just for reading Tom's on the toilet...wait I can do that with my BlackBerry. Once the Apple aficionados get their iPads the demand will dry up. Just my prediction.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]Godfail[/nom]A couple of points:It's disturbing how many cannot see the potential of the iPad as an e-reader to kill all e-readers. I'm a musician and a technology consultant, storing resource kits, song books, and the like is going to be extremely useful. Anything more than that is just a bonus here...and it's a last resort remote desktop/VNC device when I'm in a bind. I can browse the Internet without having to boot up a machine. Can my phone do all of this? Yes. Not quite as useable though. This isn't a giant smartphone, that's what you see at first glance. Anything I need a sheet of paper or book for is pretty much made obsolete by any device the size of the iPad.Tablet PC/Slate? I already have a laptop, the simplicity and LACK of configurability and multiple hardware platforms actually are more enticing to me than the opposite. My laptop is a company/government owned machine that I do not use for entertainment...why would I want to lug around a second laptop or for that matter, buy one? I'm no Apple fanboy, the only Apple product I've ever owned is an iPhone - yes, I even refused to purchase an iPod for years...and I'm not "excited" about the iPad, it's just a must-buy item for me, a tool that I plan to use. I'm sure there are many others out there like me, the people buying this thing aren't just giving in to marketing or spin from Apple. If you consider the iPhone a fad, unusable, or a product of marketing, then there's no hope for you. Continue to be the vocal minority on the Internet who prays that every next gen phone will be an iPhone killer. Good luck with that.[/citation]

Thank you for a well thought out post with insight beyond brand loyalties/hates. It's nice to see one....every 100 or so other posts.

@Charisma - The very fact that their advertising is working says something, Apple knows how to market a product. Now is it limited? Yes, but so is the iPhone and iPod Touch, yet they still sell very well. Why? Because they are a product that fits the MAJORITY of user's needs. Besides, even if the iPhone/iPad was feature rich, hardly any of the complainers on the forums would buy it anyway because they're so set in their hate towards Apple. They call all the Apple customers sheep, when they're the ones who are being led on by blind biases and stupid hate.

nukem950

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
I would rather have a tablet with windows so I can install normal programs and write my own without additional costs or needing to buy a mac.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
[citation][nom]builderbobftw[/nom]So 49% of people are insane.Got it.[/citation]

Exactly what I was thinking when I read the headline. An iPad might be nice to have, but instead of a laptop?! No way, Jose.

Glorian

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
[citation][nom]Godfail[/nom]Very true - it's limited in many ways that I don't intend to use...on the other hand, it has form factor advantages that laptops can't cater to. Tablet PC's are a waste of functionality to me, booting up an OS is also a waste of time there. The iPad isn't a productivity device, it's a media device. The limited OS is also more efficient than what you get from a Tablet PC...and replacing a battery in the device is $99. How much is that for a laptop/tablet? The same or more.[/citation]

Yes battery replacement is $99 but you also lose all you information and apps downloaded to the device.

There are and will be slate devices that don't have the same limitations the ipad has, which also run on smartphone operating systems, does that mean that more people will buy them as a media device? No, Apple has just manage to get the advertising right.

I for one will never buy an ipad, I do anything worth doing on my laptop/pc, listen to music on my zune, and make calls/texts on my cellphone, why would I buy a product that does something I already have things that do it. Its not functional enough to replace a laptop, to big to be a music player, and doesn't make calls like a traditional cellphone.

Godfail

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
[citation][nom]nukem950[/nom]I would rather have a tablet with windows so I can install normal programs and write my own without additional costs or needing to buy a mac.[/citation]

Why would you need to buy a Mac? Why would you buy an iPad to write programs? It's like everyone here is arguing how a toothbrush can't brush your hair. Me? I'll use my hairbrush for my hair but I don't need that big thing just to brush my teeth...

dannyaa

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
the real news is that 49% would prefer on iPad over a laptop!

It's also of interest to note that the amount of skepticism over the original iPod and Apple retail stores was even greater - and look what a joke those predictions were. The iPad will certainly be a success, and far beyond the launch. You can quote me on that. Not that anyone will bother quoting dannyaa from the forums. Just sayin'

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
[citation][nom]vcbb10[/nom]Ya, seems a little low considering the fact that we elected Obama.[/citation]
hey good job on being the one to make it a political subject.

[citation][nom]Godfail[/nom]And put Palin into office as VP? Let alone McCain as president, that would be true insanity.[/citation]
why...why must there always be the one turd in the punchbowl that includes politics into a matter that has nothing to do with such a thing? its like people who simply can't help but to input sexual innuendos into everything that is said. please for once..turn off the news, and get a life. both of you.

Godfail

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
[citation][nom]Glorian[/nom]Yes battery replacement is $99 but you also lose all you information and apps downloaded to the device.There are and will be slate devices that don't have the same limitations the ipad has, which also run on smartphone operating systems, does that mean that more people will buy them as a media device? No, Apple has just manage to get the advertising right. I for one will never buy an ipad, I do anything worth doing on my laptop/pc, listen to music on my zune, and make calls/texts on my cellphone, why would I buy a product that does something I already have things that do it. Its not functional enough to replace a laptop, to big to be a music player, and doesn't make calls like a traditional cellphone.[/citation]

You do not lose your apps NOR your data, this is backed up in iTunes everytime you sync your device. You'd have to genuinely be looking for failure here to overlook something so simple, which is obvious later in your post.

Yes, there will be other slate devices with minimalist OS's but they will not be nearly as well supported - as is the case with the iPhone. You're going to have to face it, Apple has the market cornered as far as content for these devices is concerned. And as far as advertising is concerned, there has been very little in the way of advertising the iPad...the interest generated itself...why? Because that company has a reputation due to its products. Marketing gets the word out, and you're obviously blinding yourself to any credit due to Apple for placing itself in its position.

It's kinda funny that you have a Zune AND a cellphone when your own logic would state that you only need an iPhone. Don't want both in one device? Then maybe you understand why I would want a laptop AND an iPad?

When you say "anything worth doing" on a laptop - is reading one of those things? Do you like tethering yourself to a desk? How about sitting a hot laptop in your lap? Ever gone on a plane and wished you didn't have to use a tray to watch a movie? How about that battery life? The beauty of the iPad is that you can whip it out and be browsing, reading, or whatever basic function it is that you do outside of productivity applications in seconds, without lugging around a laptop. It's not the marketing, hell, those other companies all jumped to making tablets as soon as the rumors started about the iPad. If a Windows tablet was going to come along and entice me, it had more than ample time to have done so. Possibly, part of the excitement is that people are finally getting the device they wanted 10 years ago.

Godfail

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
[citation][nom]chickenhoagie[/nom]hey good job on being the one to make it a political subject.
why...why must there always be the one turd in the punchbowl that includes politics into a matter that has nothing to do with such a thing? its like people who simply can't help but to input sexual innuendos into everything that is said. please for once..turn off the news, and get a life. both of you.[/citation]

Yeah, turn off the news and watch South Park, then quote the episode for a week because it makes you think you're cool.

Seriously, he posted, I responded...then YOU responded with the most useless info yet. Great job!

Godfail

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
[citation][nom]dreamphantom_1977[/nom]51% are smart mother F#@%#@S!!49% Think they are rich and can afford to pay for every damn last thing you do on the Ipad.[/citation]

Guess there's no middle ground in there huh?

ShadowFlash

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
I haven't owned an apple product since the flying toaster macintoshes, but that's not saying I'm a hater....I owned a WebTV back "in the day" and it had it's place. I believe, like it or not, that consumer "gadgets" are the future. I've always had an interest in tablets, and I'm sure I wouldn't get an Ipad, but that is only because I'm a geek...I, like alot of us here, am the defacto "computer guy", and I can see why apple succeeds; the average joe just wants something that works, with no tech knowledge whatsoever. Apple does it's best to provide this. The Ipad, while horrible to us geeks and nerds, will promote the technology in general.

Personally, I'de like to see a tablet that can take over as an e-reader, universal remote, RDP/ICA reciever, and general HTPC control unit. I can do this currently with any old laptop with alot of work, but a simplified product for the technologically impaired would be nice. A laptop simply does not have the "feel" of a tablet. Something to get cozy on the couch, check my E-mail, surf a little, key up a movie or music to the entertainment center, read some news, and so forth, is the future role of a tablet. I have a whole slew of laptops I use as terminals, but they are not real convenient in this role. I hope tablets can mature into a truely simplified household control center, NOT a fully functioned PC. The Ipad is a start, at least in awareness of future potential.

miloo

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
sorry apple, is really a ugly design ~ screen too small mate
no webcam ? oh that's freaking lame with a 499 pricing~

499 i will go for Asus netbook LOL

albion000

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
As long as I'm dreaming, I'd really like a pony. Just saying.

Provided you have a good use and know what you are getting, an iPad is fine. But honestly, I want to wait a few generations...and see what non-Apple vendors offer in terms of multitouch innovations. I am not normally an early adopter, and even though I've been using tablet PCs since 2004, the utility has been limited. Multitouch promises more but honestly I do not think this first iteration of the "bare tablet" concept is going to be fully cooked. I will wait a year or two.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I'd rather have one of those netbooks were the screen can swivel around and you can sue it as a tablet. Or a 18.4" beast with two 5870m's in xfire with 12GB RAM and i7-980X with three 256GB SDD's in RAID0. (Isn't it awesome what a wheelbarrow of money can get you in a laptop these days?)

r3t4rd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]Godfail[/nom]And put Palin into office as VP? Let alone McCain as president, that would be true insanity.[/citation]
As for VP, I'd rather look at Palin all day vs Biden. Apparently you must like looking at Biden. Given the facts, I'd rather not have Obama nor McCain...but given the choice you'd have to take the lesser of the two evils.

All these Kids nowadays are all materialistic and that is why Steve Jobs is their messiah of Tech Toys while Obama is their Messiah of thier delusional uptopia.

TheDane

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
My 5 cents...

The iPad and others like it are not notebooks - they are ebook readers. As such they are in fact very useful for those of us who wants to read ebooks.

And you don't need a physical keyboard (size/weight) if you're reading most of the time, just some way to take notes while reading.

Unfortunately both iPad and Amazons Kindle are joke (black & white? Flash? Vendor tax? No thanks!) but there ARE other options than Apple & Amazons (and more to come I'm sure).

Status
Not open for further replies.