Question 535 watt ac unit and 850 watt gaming pc on same outlet

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

P0tluck94

Commendable
Nov 22, 2021
Hey tall I did see a party about this already posted but how do I tell how many Watts my pc pulls under load? It has a 850 watt thermaltake gf3 gold, my window ac is 535 watts cooling power at 4.9 amps.

My house is really old 102 years to be exact I'm disabled so I dont have the money to have the electrical redone that stuffs crazy expensive (had an estimate and it was $7500) this is the first year with my new pc and the ac as it gets like 100 degrees upstairs, this pc is much stronger than the other one that ran fine with the ac and pc on the same socket but again it wasn't as strong even though it too had a 850 watt psu.

I upgraded from a ryzen 3600 and a 3060ti w a 850 w gold seasonic psu to a 5800x3d and a 4070ti super With a 850w gold thermaltake gf3.
i just don't want to short my pc or burn my house down so I'm inquiring, ty

P0tluck94

Commendable
Nov 22, 2021
Exactly

I would look for a yellow construction rated extension cord not the orange one everyone has. The Yellow has lower gage wire to run higher amps and can run it in a longer run more than 15 feet.

If your not sure what is what as far as is this socket tied to the A/C wall socket flip off the breaker to the A/C than go around the house until you find a live socket. Take a lamp or a small fan just something to use to test the wall socket to find one not tied to the A/C. Run computer off that other breaker.

Yes I know from my side that would be my answer as I'm not sure if your house or layout would let you make this work but.

Also if you do this run the computer off the extension cord NOT the A/C.
So question, I've had this same setup going for 4 years but with a pc that probably only pulled 400 watts compared to this one that pulls 550-650 (dont know the exact number) I never had any issues with the other pc abd the ac but with this one I'm afraid as it's quite a bit more money am I just stressing myself out for no reason?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Sorry to add to the stress of LOTS of info, but a few items above are not quite right.

"Knob and Tube" wiring is mentioned several times. This was a VERY old style which certainly did NOT include any Ground leads. I replaced such a system in our house when we bought it in 1971. But there were other wiring cable systems after that that still did NOT include Grounds. My parents' house built in the late 1940's had what was called "Loomex" wiring with no Ground leads in the in-wall cables. The wiring code in 1971 certainly required Grounds in all cables. But whatever the details, you already know from your electrician that the wall cables include no Ground wires. And YOU have remedied that for ONE outlet used for your computer.

You are sure already that the two outlets in that room are on the same circuit / breaker, doubtless rated at 15 A. Using an extension to reach an outlet in another room is NO guarantee that the third outlet will be on a DIFFERENT breaker. You would have to verify by plugging things in and turning breakers on and off. By the way, the 15 ft max extension cable length is not written in stone. The limit is mainly in the surge current at start-up. Based on the running current spec of the AC unit, that starting surge likely is in the range 10 to 12 A, and that lasts for a couple seconds. If you use an extension cord with a heavy wire gauge designed for that, you are OK. The cord should be rated for at least 15 A, which means its wire gauge should be 14 or even 12. Then you are safe with a longer cord of 25 or even 50 ft. That is, IF you can find an outlet that is NOT in the same circuit as your room.

The Surge Protector you have deals with ONE of the issues. When the AC starts up and pulls a large current for a second or so, as that current drops to the normal running current there CAN be a spike in Voltage on the lines. Similar things can happen when it shuts down. Those very brief but high voltages sometimes can damage other items on the same circuit. In your case, the PSU of the computer will be the major item at risk, but also any other peripherals with their own connections to the wall, like a printer or scanner.

The other issue is that the same surge of current draw on the lines at start-up of the AC can mean the Voltage on the lines is too LOW briefly. Most PSU's and mobo Voltage Regulator sections can handle such brief Voltage sags so well you would never know it happened. But if not, the computer (or peripherals) might go though a complete reset - they believe the power failed completely, and suddenly was turned on again. The most troublesome result of that is the possibility (uncommon, but CAN happen!) that incorrect information can be written to your hard drive resulting in one or more files so damaged they cannot be used. THIS is where a UPS - Uninterruptible Power Supply - comes in. It can maintain power to the load when the supply from the wall fails for whatever reason, or even just from a Voltage sag. The APC BX1500M unit linked above by COLGeek, while NOT cheap, is very good. It can keep your system running for several minutes if power fails completely, and certainly can deal with a sag. On the sag item, this IS the right type of UPS, called "Line Interactive". That is, the output from the battery to the load is ALWAYS connected and feeding power out. In cheaper designs it is not, and a switching mechanism must switch the load from the wall supply to the battery inverter output, which means a brief no-Voltage time. That is exactly what you may be trying to avoid - a short Voltage sag.

Do not bother with a GFCI device. Those are units designed for electrical safety, not for surviving electrical surges. Modern electrical wiring system include Grounds to help prevent electricity from going to the wrong places, but those alone are not complete protection. A GFCI device basically constantly measures the CURRENT flowing through the Hot line and also through the Neutral line, and these MUST match within a VERY small tolerance. If not, it is presumed that some electrical current is leaking out to somewhere it should NOT go, and the unit shuts off all power, just as a breaker can do. But a Breaker only cuts off current if it is too HIGH, whereas a GFCI cuts it off it it even a tiny amount seems to be escaping. It is common now in older homes that lack Ground lines for safety to install GFCI's instead on those circuits. This DOES provide some protection against electrical currents "escaping" to dangerous places, but it does NOT provide any real Ground. And it does nothing for Voltage surges or sags.

Before you do spend much money, though, consider these ideas.
1. Have you had any experiences of system rebooting suddenly when the AC starts or shuts down? If that never happens, then whatever Voltage fluctuations your AC is creating are being handled well by your surge protector and the PSU. That does not prove it can't. And if it DOES happen sometimes, then you are on the edge of problems.

2. You are concerned about LOAD for the entire circuit that feeds your two outlets, which is limited to whatever the breaker says - likely 15 A. It is probable that the computer system and the AC together are NOT that large, but to be sure you can measure it. There are two ways. One is to have an electrician come in with a meter and measure at the breaker while you are using these both fully. Costs the pro's fees. The other is to buy your own Watts meter, like this type

https://www.amazon.ca/Overload-Protection-Backlight-Electricity-Electrical/dp/B09BQNYMMM/ref=sr_1_2?dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.7kti57Zt-qCEmR9lr5AFUPp_IAECpyUUZDCqggW0b7lh966kcjA3TEFO1TkswL9n3wI8oOJn0HeYpUP7SX-MGT5-m8C-HEgKox4xvrXGQDE2oyeacIm4F03l0Pi7T3sMXKxCbX3M5Kw2sYxP1XpvfSet-8IrWPmMkQRKwcO3RON9d5Sa72X7zqtfis39YriExmYxlrV3cFb6tuRYGhyy0yF6IP_Po2Trach3kT5bt_4YMH2cGtJviSVGQRhgVgwVQHsRzur753SisDCId9eAEZyQX-MCZtNouJBbkTPJeEw.C3Kp9wXS2Ux5TkE8IyheAAt1ts_MbYUMSB1F63bQEog&dib_tag=se&keywords=power+meter+outlet&qid=1714275479&sr=8-2&th=1

Not very expensive. You plug that into one outlet, then plug into the meter the load(s) like all your computer system fed through the surge protector. Then do the same for the other outlet with the AC system. THEN find out if any OTHER outlets nearby also are on that SAME circuit, and measure their loads, too. ADD up the WATTS for everything. A common circuit at 15 A and 120 VAC can supply 1800 Watts max, BUT in general one wants to load a circuit continuously not more than 80% of max, or 1450 W. Now you KNOW the load, and may find you worry less.

Last edited:
Reactions: P0tluck94

P0tluck94

Commendable
Nov 22, 2021
Sorry to add to the stress of LOTS of info, but a few items above are not quite right.

"Knob and Tube" wiring is mentioned several times. This was a VERY old style which certainly did NOT include any Ground leads. I replaced such a system in our house when we bought it in 1971. But there were other wiring cable systems after that that still did NOT include Grounds. My parents' house built in the late 1940's had what was called "Loomex" wiring with no Ground leads in the in-wall cables. The wiring code in 1971 certainly required Grounds in all cables. But whatever the details, you already know from your electrician that the wall cables include no Ground wires. And YOU have remedied that for ONE outlet used for your computer.

You are sure already that the two outlets in that room are on the same circuit / breaker, doubtless rated at 15 A. Using an extension to reach an outlet in another room is NO guarantee that the third outlet will be on a DIFFERENT breaker. You would have to verify by plugging things in and turning breakers on and off. By the way, the 15 ft max extension cable length is not written in stone. The limit is mainly in the surge current at start-up. Based on the running current spec of the AC unit, that starting surge likely is in the range 10 to 12 A, and that lasts for a couple seconds. If you use an extension cord with a heavy wire gauge designed for that, you are OK. The cord should be rated for at least 15 A, which means its wire gauge should be 14 or even 12. Then you are safe with a longer cord of 25 or even 50 ft. That is, IF you can find an outlet that is NOT in the same circuit as your room.

The Surge Protector you have deals with ONE of the issues. When the AC starts up and pulls a large current for a second or so, as that current drops to the normal running current there CAN be a spike in Voltage on the lines. Similar things can happen when it shuts down. Those very brief but high voltages sometimes can damage other items on the same circuit. In your case, the PSU of the computer will be the major item at risk, but also any other peripherals with their own connections to the wall, like a printer or scanner.

The other issue is that the same surge of current draw on the lines at start-up of the AC can mean the Voltage on the lines is too LOW briefly. Most PSU's and mobo Voltage Regulator sections can handle such brief Voltage sags so well you would never know it happened. But if not, the computer (or peripherals) might go though a complete reset - they believe the power failed completely, and suddenly was turned on again. The most troublesome result of that is the possibility (uncommon, but CAN happen!) that incorrect information can be written to your hard drive resulting in one or more files so damaged they cannot be used. THIS is where a UPS - Uninterruptible Power Supply - comes in. It can maintain power to the load when the supply from the wall fails for whatever reason, or even just from a Voltage sag. The APC BX1500M unit linked above by COLGeek, while NOT cheap, is very good. It can keep your system running for several minutes if power fails completely, and certainly can deal with a sag. On the sag item, this IS the right type of UPS, called "Line Interactive". That is, the output from the battery to the load is ALWAYS connected and feeding power out. In cheaper designs it is not, and a switching mechanism must switch the load from the wall supply to the battery inverter output, which means a brief no-Voltage time. That is exactly what you may be trying to avoid - a short Voltage sag.

Do not bother with a GFCI device. Those are units designed for electrical safty, not for surviving electrical surges. Modern elecrical wiring system include Grounds to help prevent electricity from going to the wrong places, but those alone are not complete protection. A GFCI device basically constantly measures the CURRENT flowing through the Hot line and also through the Neutral line, and these MUST match within a VERY small tolerance. If not, it is presumed that some elcrtical curent is leaking out to somewhere it should NOT go, and the unit shuts off all power, just as a breaker can do. But a Breaker only cuts off current if it is too HIGH, whereas a GFCI cuts it off it it even a tiny amount seems to be escaping. It is common now in older homes that lack Ground lines for safety to install GFCI's instead on those curcuits. This DOES provide some protection against electrical currents "escaping" to dangerouus places, but it does NOT provide any real Ground. And it does nothing for Voltage surges or sags.

Before you do spend much money, though, consider these ideas.
1. Have you had any experiences of system rebooting suddenly when the AC starts or shuts down? If that never happens, then whatever Voltage fluctuations your AC is creating are being handled well by your surge protector and the PSU. That does not prove it can't. And if it DOES happen sometimes, then you are on the edge of problems.

2. You are concerned about LOAD for the entire circuit that feeds your two outlets, which is limited to whatever the breaker says - likely 15 A. It is probable that the computer system and the AC together are NOT that large, but to be sure you can measure it. There are two ways. One is to have an elecrician come in with a meter and measure at the breaker while you are using these both fully. Costs the pro's fees. The other is to buy your own Watts meter, like this type

https://www.amazon.ca/Overload-Protection-Backlight-Electricity-Electrical/dp/B09BQNYMMM/ref=sr_1_2?dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.7kti57Zt-qCEmR9lr5AFUPp_IAECpyUUZDCqggW0b7lh966kcjA3TEFO1TkswL9n3wI8oOJn0HeYpUP7SX-MGT5-m8C-HEgKox4xvrXGQDE2oyeacIm4F03l0Pi7T3sMXKxCbX3M5Kw2sYxP1XpvfSet-8IrWPmMkQRKwcO3RON9d5Sa72X7zqtfis39YriExmYxlrV3cFb6tuRYGhyy0yF6IP_Po2Trach3kT5bt_4YMH2cGtJviSVGQRhgVgwVQHsRzur753SisDCId9eAEZyQX-MCZtNouJBbkTPJeEw.C3Kp9wXS2Ux5TkE8IyheAAt1ts_MbYUMSB1F63bQEog&dib_tag=se&keywords=power+meter+outlet&qid=1714275479&sr=8-2&th=1

Not very expensive. You plug that into one outlet, then plug into the meteer the load(s) like all your computer system fed through the surge protector. Then do the same for the other outlet with the AC system. THEN find out if any OTHER outlets nearby also are on that SAME curcuit, and measure their loads, too. ADD up the WATTS for everything. A common circuit at 15 A and 120 VAC can supply 1800 Watts max, BUT in general one wants to load a circuit continuously not more than 80% of max, or 1450 W. Now you KNOW the load, and may find you worry less.
Where do I begin , ill start with "has my pc ever rebooted when the ac cuts on" that answer is no, not today and not for the past 4 years with a different computer and an older ac that wasn't as power efficient, this one is 4.9 amps, but this is the first year with this pc that I had built in the fall which is probably why I'm stressed out.

Not really worried about load I've had this running like this for 4 years with fans going, TV, lights, pc, space heater in the winter ac in the summer, I do see a flicker of the lights when the ac does kick on though, not the pc lights only the overhead value fan light.

This house was built in 1919 lol, it's an old sumagun.

The load isn't what's worrying me it's the power dips that are taken away from the pc when the ac kicks on and off I could help this by not running the ac to hard like instead of 74 run it at 78-79 which would in theory maybe it not kick on as much, 78-79 in the ac in my room is quite chilly abd tolerable, it makes no sense how it's cold with ac but it's hot without lol.

With the different outlet part, this house is funky, I know this room and the closet in the hallway are on the same curcuit (took the light out of the closet as we dont use it but the junction box is still there) but yes I would have to cut this rooms power and find a different room that has power, the attic above me has new wiring with a ground idk why they didn't run it down into the rooms but they didn't , it's in the attic but if they ran one down and it's the same circuit into my room it would still be the same thing (ac and pc on the same curcuit but it would have a ground from the breaker box not a ground ran to the outlet from a grounded copper pipe), unless they added a whole different outlet if that wire is on a different circuit so 3 outlets instead of 2.

And finally I was looking at those UPS for a while now but being disabled it's hard to come up with that kinda money even though I know deep down I need it to protect my investment, but I have other things I have to buy before that like things for my garden (plants, compost, replacing my irrigation that broke etc) as I cant really afford much extra so I grow my own veggies , took me 2.5 years to save for a pc lol(sounds like a sob story but it is what it is and actually gardening helps my anxiety so it's a win win).

I'm sure you can tell by now I have a severe anxiety issue probably why I'm freaking out over something that might be be worth stressing over. I do need a UPS though maybe I'll get it on my amazon card once my garden stuffs paid off

Last edited:

Liljames326

Reputable
Mar 31, 2020
as long as you have a 15 amp circuit, your not going to hurt anything. the pc will draw that specific wattage max if necessary, while you will only really running up to 450 watts max loaded on those parts accesories etc over the whole pc. your amperage should be around 12 amps max total usage between the 2. i usually follow the rule of only one heavy grounded appliance per socket, but two on one circuit wont hurt it. if anything your house breaker will pop, but nothing in the circuit will hurt from any sort of power draw because of either appliance. electrical can be scary but its not really unless you have an exposed wire or shorted metal box etc.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
OP, your report says you never had a problem with your old computer system and have not seen any with the newer one in its first year of operation. This confirms that whatever Voltage sags or spikes are generated by the AC, the computer is able to tolerate them. So it is unlikely you need a UPS, and you already have a surge protector. You are not really worried about total load on that one circuit, and see no signs of overload causing a breaker to trip.

A Ground line IS important for computer systems. In household wiring systems, the Ground is mainly for safety - a safe route for electric currents leaking out of where they should be. For computer systems that is valuable. But for computers, the ground is also vital for the signal cable SHIELDS. These "intercept" electrical noise signals and re-route them to true Ground so they do not penetrate and induce noise in the signals in the data lines. They cannot do that job nearly as well if there is NO actual connection to true Ground for your system. But you HAVE arranged a good Ground for your system, so NO problem there, either.

Bottom line seems to be: "Don't worry, be happy".

P0tluck94

Commendable
Nov 22, 2021
OP, your report says you never had a problem with your old computer system and have not seen any with the newer one in its first year of operation. This confirms that whatever Voltage sags or spikes are generated by the AC, the computer is able to tolerate them. So it is unlikely you need a UPS, and you already have a surge protector. You are not really worried about total load on that one circuit, and see no signs of overload causing a breaker to trip.

A Ground line IS important for computer systems. In household wiring systems, the Ground is mainly for safety - a safe route for electric currents leaking out of where they should be. For computer systems that is valuable. But for computers, the ground is also vital for the signal cable SHIELDS. These "intercept" electrical noise signals and re-route them to true Ground so they do not penetrate and induce noise in the signals in the data lines. They cannot do that job nearly as well if there is NO actual connection to true Ground for your system. But you HAVE arranged a good Ground for your system, so NO problem there, either.

Bottom line seems to be: "Don't worry, be happy".
My surge protector wouldnt work until I ran a ground to the outlet as the surge protector has to have one to operate,, it's a really good one as well as it not only protects against surges it cleans up noise in the lines also, it was almost $200 3-4 years ago, I do want to invest in a UPS it won't hurt anything it just helps but I do have things to buy before then. I feel a bit better and at ease with all the replies so thank you to everyone that replied, I will look into getting a separate dedicated outlet ran for the pc that's on a different circuit in the future so the ac doesn't draw off the pc circuit and also a UPS for the pc after i make my last payment to the garden stuff in the 20th, appreciate the help.

Reactions: beyondlogic

Ralston18

Titan
Will comment on: "I do want to invest in a UPS".

Understood. However keep in mind that the UPS is intended to provide power just long enough (when external power fails) to permit a graceful shutdown of the systems/devices supported by the UPS.

Not to keep playing games or otherwise working for more than a few minutes time. Internet etc., likely to be down anyway during power outages.

The more systems/devices supported by the UPS and the longer you want to maintain UPS sourced power the more expensive the UPS will be.

UPS manufacturers do provide guides to help size the UPS. However, the guides may be weighted towards more expensive USP models.

And do read the USP manufacturers' guidelines regarding the use of Surge Protectors with a UPS.

While considering any UPS purchase read the applicable UPS User Guide/Manual and installation instructions.

Pay attention to all fine print and caveats. And warranty details regarding coverage and protection.

My surge protector wouldnt work until I ran a ground to the outlet as the surge protector has to have one to operate,, it's a really good one as well as it not only protects against surges it cleans up noise in the lines also, it was almost $200 3-4 years ago, I do want to invest in a UPS it won't hurt anything it just helps but I do have things to buy before then. I feel a bit better and at ease with all the replies so thank you to everyone that replied, I will look into getting a separate dedicated outlet ran for the pc that's on a different circuit in the future so the ac doesn't draw off the pc circuit and also a UPS for the pc after i make my last payment to the garden stuff in the 20th, appreciate the help.
good luck i believe youll be fine on that protector. again the wiring can probly stand 15 amp max and your under that be quite a bit

P0tluck94

Commendable
Nov 22, 2021
>how do I tell how many Watts my pc pulls under load?

https://amazon.com/dp/B09BQNYMMM (for American outlets)

Get a power meter like above, use it to determine the electrical loads of your PC and AC unit.

For American 15A circuit: 120V * 15A * 80% recommended of max = 1440W
For American 20A circuit: 120V * 20A * 80% recommended of max = 1920W

For UK 13A circuit: 230V * 13A * 80% = 2392W

For old house, suggest larger safety margin.

>this is the first year with my new pc and the ac as it gets like 100 degrees upstairs

Move PC downstairs?
There's no ac is the whole house besides this room, I'm also agoraphobic and i constantly have a house full of people which sets off my panic, also no other outlet in the house has a ground besides this room.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
The power meter I suggested earlier is used to measure the power being drawn from only ONE wall outlet, with the load attached to that meter only. That is why I said you would need to move the meter to different outlets in the SAME circuit (breaker) and their loads and measure each, then add them up. Items connected to another outlet where your meter is NOT plugged do not show up on the meter. This is different from what an electrician could do with a meter back at the breaker panel. THAT measurement can tell the load on ALL outlets on that one circuit. And by the way, just for using the power meter you do NOT need a Ground connection in the outlet. You DO need, however, an outlet configuration that allows you to plug in the 3-prong design of the meter into a 2-slot outlet fixture. Either that, of an adapter that will get that done.

Regarding the use time of a UPS when the wall power goes down, usually it is an important factor in choosing one. One rarely tries to get a UPS sufficient to keep an entire computer system running for long periods of no outside power. Even 15 min of continued use is not simple. BUT OP never said he wants to do that. The ONLY reason for UPS in this thread is to protect against brief Voltage SAGS caused by the start-up load of the AC unit. So the TIME of continued use is a matter of seconds! Now that MAY not be OP's full intention. OP, IF you had a UPS, would you be trying to keep on working while the power from the wall actually failed completely for minutes or more? If so, then that time factor IS important.